The Grand KSP 1.2 Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

35 minutes ago, regex said:

Has anyone tried turning off the PQS shaders and testing? My older i7 was slowed immensely by this by virtue of its Intel 4K graphics. Set:

UNSUPPORTED_LEGACY_SHADER_TERRAIN = True

in settings.cfg in the KSP game root if you want to give it a try.

I have an i7 4790k. That won't be necessary for that kind of CPU but I need to do I direct comparesen between the two versions to be sure of the downgraded performance. 

1 minute ago, Majorjim! said:

I have an i7 4790k. That won't be necessary for that kind of CPU but I need to do I direct comparesen between the two versions to be sure of the downgraded performance. 

The terrain shader affects graphical performance, not CPU performance. It's the reason why my current i5 with a GTX GPU runs KSP much better than my i7 with Intel 4K graphics. I mentioned this as a testing point because lights appear to be causing issues and all testing is done at ground level in the screenshots.

1 minute ago, regex said:

The terrain shader affects graphical performance, not CPU performance. It's the reason why my current i5 with a GTX GPU runs KSP much better than my i7 with Intel 4K graphics. I mentioned this as a testing point because lights appear to be causing issues and all testing is done at ground level in the screenshots.

Right ok, I see. Thank you for the correction. I'm sure for those with lower end GPUs that might help. 

43 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Yeah, there was some stuff that seemed to display either oddly or incorrectly (for the fuel delivery overaly) that was raised near the end of the 1.2 pre-release cycle.  I couldn't change it without diving into the fuel flow code (which is working 100% correctly).  It was way too risky to change anything.

@5thHorseman - Having multiple paths to the engine is an edge case that was never really tested.  Are you sure the decoupler on the left has crossfeed enabled?  For the one on the right, I think I'd prefer to see it show both paths (although I'm not sure if the underlying graph structure allows for loops, which is why it looks a bit odd.  Also, the fuel lines are another edge case (I think it's always drawing the line to the fuel line start, regardless of whether the graph shows it going anywhere).

Sure, there may be some minor bugs here and there to hammer out, but I gotta say it's 100% better than what we had before (which was no fuel flow overlay or priority tweakable).

In version 1.1.3, my early-game probes used to flip during ascent, and I had to use dumb workarounds like disabling the topmost tank during flight and then re-enabling it after the other tanks drained. Now I just set fuel tank priority and I can concentrate on actually flying. So much better!

Finally - a use for the Flea!  

With some tourists crazy enough that they want to pass out, you can oblige them by putting them in a capsule on top of a Flea, then radially attaching 3 or more additional Fleas.  Heads up like a streak of lighting for 8 seconds, long enough to render the tourist unconscious.  This part finally has a use!

anybody has this bug when the solar panels do not generate energy ?

ozJVAca.jpg

I'm using these mods, but nothing changes the electricity

KSP: 1.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit
ABookCase Orbital Reference System - 0.4
Chatterer - 0.9.91.1586
Community Resource Pack - 0.6
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.1.1
JSIAdvTransparentPods - 0.1.8
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6
HyperEdit - 1.5.3
KerbNet Controller - 1.0.2
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.3
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2
Part Angle Display - 0.3.2.1
RCS Build Aid - 0.9
Science Relay - 1.0.1
TAC Life Support - 0.12.5
[x] Science! - 5.1

Edited by zgrudij

Just now, monstah said:

Is it because your batteries are already full? Try adding something energy-intensive (ISRU, mobile lab) and see if it recharges :)

no, I tried this with half batteries as well, the probe core drains energy as it would normally.

only the nuclear reactor (im talking about the star shaped fins thingy) generates power

as you can see on the screencap, the energy flow is 00 although they are deployed and face the sun

Yeah, strange. I hadn't opened the full-size picture before, so I didn't notice batteries weren't exactly full either.

I recognize Persistent rotation, TAC-LS (or is it USI-LS?) and Chatterer, none of which I suppose is responsible (Chatterer I'm using right now, so I'm pretty sure). What other mods are you using?

KSP: 1.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit
ABookCase Orbital Reference System - 0.4
Chatterer - 0.9.91.1586
Community Resource Pack - 0.6
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.1.1
JSIAdvTransparentPods - 0.1.8
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6
HyperEdit - 1.5.3
KerbNet Controller - 1.0.2
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.3
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2
Part Angle Display - 0.3.2.1
RCS Build Aid - 0.9
Science Relay - 1.0.1
TAC Life Support - 0.12.5
[x] Science! - 5.1

I uninstalled them all, testing

okay, one mod on this list is causing this problem, i'll edit this post to tell you

Found the cause : ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2

Not even sure what this mod does

could someone install it and confirm ?

Edited by zgrudij

34YmZOK.png

WTrcTkJ.png

Aside from comm networks, I'll be especially thankful for all this optimisation, and wheel physics fixes (although this means I'll have to remove lots of weird workarounds from the crafts I made in 1.1 :P), and SUPERSONIC AERODYNAMICS!!!!!!!!

BTW is this an easter egg? /b4d455? Oh wait, that's badass in leetspeek, as well as the most probable kerbal skin color in HTML coding!

* Most stock planes given a look over based on player feedback. And this is amazing! Maybe there is after all, some hope to make the stock planes seriously designed aircraft. And maybe the elevon issues on the Albatross will be fixed...

* Added editor part categories for ground, electrical, communication, thermal, payload, and coupling parts. yayayyaaayy!!1!1one, finally no more gazillions of parts in the utility category when using lots of mods!

* Lift from capsules and heat shields better handled to make lifting reentries better (easier). My evil counterpart will finally be able to make a proper ICBM reentry vehicle MUHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

* Moved an atmospheric sensor down to the science tech branch. y u no explain this is the barometer? You explained that in the pre-release patch notes

* Don't try to set constant KSPFields. whut is that?

* Fix bug where space center view can be messed up on loading a save from the main menu if the game was switched away from during load (old workaround was clear the input locks). Do you mean the bug where the camera would be stuck somewhere between astronaut complex and tracking station, looking north?

* Retractable landing gear produce less drag than they used to when retracted and much more when extended. There is finally point in retracting them, other than getting them bugged up which was a 1.1-specific bug!

* Fix long-standing bug with FlightLogger not logging Gs right. Yay finallyyyyy

There are lots more things I reallly liked, there are actually one or two points in this that I didn't like, which is very good for any game (most games have most of the points in an update hated a lot).

22 hours ago, zgrudij said:

Found the cause : ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2

Not even sure what this mod does

could someone install it and confirm ?

It's a mod that enables functionality that other mods (such as FAR) use. So, you'll not use it directly, but some mods you use might need it. It might have come together with another mod. Try downloading the latest version here

The topic's title says 1.1, but the thread says it's 1.2 compatible :)

Err... How do I hide exceptions in the console? I need to find out what is causing an audio cut so bad that it takes 2 restarts to restore the audio, but it eventually cuts and all the console commands but the exception is spamming the console 24/7. I really need help with this though. I need to debug, but what makes it harder is that the output_log file is gone... (Exceptions thing is no big deal any more and the audio bug, I am sure that it is fixed)

Edited by Scaprod
Elaboration on Fixation

On 10/12/2016 at 9:43 AM, Kerbart said:

I see room for exploiting shenanigans; put your 2km periapsis just over the landing site and time the flag planting very well = profit!!

On 10/12/2016 at 10:45 AM, FullMetalMachinist said:

Cannot. They have to be either splashed or landed. 

http://imgur.com/a/mm9Xv :wink: Be orbiting while landed! :cool:

Edited by richfiles

On October 14, 2016 at 0:16 PM, Muskrat said:

Sorry, I think my pop culture reference went over your head. That wasn't a serious answer. I was looking at the loading "hint" and referring back to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minor_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy_characters#Deep_Thought

Never read or watched it. So no worries! Cant catch a reference if you never see it :D 

On 16-10-2016 at 3:03 PM, TheDestroyer111 said:

* Most stock planes given a look over based on player feedback. And this is amazing! Maybe there is after all, some hope to make the stock planes seriously designed aircraft. And maybe the elevon issues on the Albatross will be fixed...

And I'm still incredibly underwhelmed by all of them. I looked and flew all of them once. After that: Shift-Del.

On 10/14/2016 at 11:01 AM, Azimech said:

And an early 1.2 build would probably have made 40 FPS on that Q6600.

Using this quote as a point of reference.

I just had a second thought on this one and it's anecdotal based on the 1.1 pre-release process, but the difference between pre-release and production builds is pretty big. There are things done to the production release that are not done to the pre-release builds during compilation and packaging. That is likely the difference in performance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.