[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

I think the science lab looks pretty good as is.

vI8FEvu.png

That being said, put this into a .cfg anywhere in game data for a science lab based on the akademy.

PART
{
	name = Tundra_ScienceLab
	module = Part
	author = Roverdude

MODEL
	{
		model = UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Assets/Tundra_375Rigid
		texture = t37,UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Assets/t40
	}
	rescaleFactor = 1
	node_stack_left = 0.0,0.0,1.875,0.0,0.0,1,2
	node_stack_right = 0.0,0.0,-1.875,0.0,0.0,-1,2
	node_stack_250top = 0.0, 3.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
	node_stack_250bottom = 0.0, -3.5, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
	node_stack_125top = 0.0, 4, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
	node_stack_125bottom = 0.0, -4, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1	
	node_stack_top = 0.0, 3.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
	node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -3.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3

TechRequired = advConstruction
	entryCost = 8100
	cost = 13600
	category = none
	subcategory = 0
	title = MKS 'Tundra' Science Lab
	manufacturer = USI - Kolonization Division
	description = A science lab in a  tundra formfactor

tags = USI MKS Tundra Crew ?iva Control command base utility station orbit field Kerb landed work coupler space KIS ReplacementParts LifeSupport liv ElectricCharge e/c 

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0
	mass = 7.5
	dragModelType = default
	maximum_drag = 0.05
	minimum_drag = 0.05
	angularDrag = 1
	crashTolerance = 8
	breakingForce = 2000
	breakingTorque= 2000
	maxTemp = 1200 // = 2900
	bulkheadProfiles = size3
	CrewCapacity = 12
	INTERNAL
	{
		name = USIGenericInternal
	}	
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceContainer
		reviewActionName = Review Data
		storeActionName = Store Experiments
		collectActionName = Take Data
		evaOnlyStorage = True
		storageRange = 2
		allowRepeatedSubjects = True
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceLab
		containerModuleIndex = 0
		dataStorage = 750
		crewsRequired = 1
		canResetConnectedModules = True
		canResetNearbyModules = True
		interactionRange = 5
		SurfaceBonus = 0.1
		ContextBonus = 0.25
		homeworldMultiplier = 0.1
		RESOURCE_PROCESS
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			amount = 10
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceConverter
		dataProcessingMultiplier = 0.5 // Multiplier to data processing rate and therefore science rate
		scientistBonus = 0.25	//Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x 
		researchTime = 7	    //Larger = slower.  Exponential!
		scienceMultiplier = 5	//How much science does data turn into?
		scienceCap = 500	    //How much science can we store before having to transmit?		
		powerRequirement = 5	//EC/Sec to research
		ConverterName = Research
		StartActionName = Start Research
		StopActionName = Stop Research
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKerbNetAccess
		MinimumFoV = 17
		MaximumFoV = 63
		AnomalyDetection = 0
		DISPLAY_MODES
		{
			Mode = Terrain
			Mode = Biome
		}
		REQUIRED_EFFECTS
		{
			Effect = ScienceSkill
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
        	name = ModuleExperienceManagement
        	costPerKerbal = 0
	}

}

10 minutes ago, Tyko said:

wish there were surface mount window panels for the Tundra.

Now that's a good idea, that'd open up loads of options for pretty bases. I've not done any modelling in a while i might have a go. I'll be sure to ping you if i do.

I believe (correct me if wrong) that the Tundra modules were originally from OKS, and as such were designed for stations... which don't use windows, remember? Structural weakness. Now they've been modified as multipurpose modules, as @dboi88 said, it would be really nice if they weren't windowless aluminium (?) cylinders. A personal preference would be a system similar to what NFC does with its trusses that lets you cycle between different exterior layouts to suit different deployment environments, but that is almost certainly way more coding and modelling effort than it's worth.

14 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I believe (correct me if wrong) that the Tundra modules were originally from OKS, and as such were designed for stations... which don't use windows, remember? Structural weakness. Now they've been modified as multipurpose modules, as @dboi88 said, it would be really nice if they weren't windowless aluminium (?) cylinders. A personal preference would be a system similar to what NFC does with its trusses that lets you cycle between different exterior layouts to suit different deployment environments, but that is almost certainly way more coding and modelling effort than it's worth.

yea, well most space-based modules have at least port holes to look out of and USI-LS gives a couple of really cool cupolas as well. Instead of changing the existing models, I was just thinking of a series of windows that would surface mount like the cupolas do. Think "bay windows" that snap on the sides. Much less modeling work.

This pic below is where I got the idea from...check out the bay windows on the side of @Odonian's Tundra modules

9rxyIh5.png

Edited by Tyko

What are people's surface bases like now? Tundra really does seem geared toward orbital bases.

Anyway, IMO the MPL really does stick out like a sore thumb with the rest of the Tundra parts. I'm just making a suggestion though

Edited by dlrk

9 minutes ago, dlrk said:

What are people's surface bases like now? Tundra really does seem geared toward orbital bases.

I tend to start with disconnected modules, then drag them into place with KIS/KAS winches and hook them up with the flex-o-tubes.

4eVYMTO.jpg

35 minutes ago, dlrk said:

Anyway, IMO the MPL really does stick out like a sore thumb with the rest of the Tundra parts. I'm just making a suggestion though

I land the tundra modules VTOL-style. Then I drag them close to each other with a rover and weld them with construction ports. In the end I have a long tundra-sausage base with Karibou legs and some Ranger modules sticking from the sides here and there. Sorry, can't show it atm. Looks pretty ugly, but functional.

On 18/01/2017 at 6:41 PM, dboi88 said:

Yeah it's like an invisible anchor holding your base to the ground. So i had a really long base where one end would be thrown into the air a good 20m on every physics load and would often damage itself on the way back down. It no longer jumps or moves anywhere. I had a base on stilts (extended cradles) on a really steep slope(the base is level) and it'd jitter around a lot. No longer moves. I had a base on small slope that would just slowly slide down all the time, it was always moving at 0.1m/s, it no longer moves. The final use i've found for it is when moving around a full 3.75 kontainer using the Kontsruction parts if i went over 1m/s then the brakes would never stop the 300 ton rolling beast. So i've added the module to the kontainers using MM and i can now 'throw out my ground anchor' and actually stop.

This is wonderful and I need it, which modules have this stabilising anchor thingy?

1 hour ago, Noel32 said:

This is wonderful and I need it, which modules have this stabilising anchor thingy?

It's included on over 50 parts, basically if you build and MKS base you will have this. It's a ship wide feature but you'll have the option to turn it on many different parts.

6 hours ago, dlrk said:

j311ZCB.png

7 hours ago, dlrk said:

This is what it looked like in the early stages:

screenshot43.jpg

It took a lot of time to expand it and now it's completely self-sufficient:

screenshot57.jpg

The seed for the base was the Karibou you still see there, later I landed the bit with the pioneer module. I used the EL survey station in the pioneer to build the bigger parts on site, and make the smaller ones in the workshop (with OSE). Everything is put together with KIS. Currently home to 12 permanent crew.

Currently also hosts 8 visitors who came in with the shuttle on the right. Local logistics really simplified refueling these. Most other craft do a vertical docking on the docking ports sticking out of some of the hubs.

1 hour ago, notthebobo said:

Greenhouses attached to the sides of the rigid tubes is genius.

Huh, isn't that what they're meant to be used for? I mean they have those side attachment nodes that are separated just right for ranger modules...

1 hour ago, revolioclockbergjr said:

Can you folks share your math or spreadsheets or whatever accurate system you've got going for sustainable bases?

For life support, you just need some recyclers supporting the intended crew size, a source of fertilizer (from gypsum, minerals or ore depending what you have available at the site) and an agroponics module. Throw in some habs for your people to not get homesick right away and you're done. If you build it with USI-LS parts instead of MKS you're perfectly sustainable already. For MKS you need to ship in some machinery every few years.

It's really pretty easy to get a handle on it, I'd say trying to figure out the math to do this just right depending on the choice of recyclers and fertilizer supply isn't really worth the trouble unless you plan a base for dozens of kerbals. And even then it's better to expand it bit by bit.

Just start small and go from there. Try first on Mun or Minmus to get a feeling for how everything works, so you can still ship in whatever you forgot in a few days.

Have some extra supplies and fertilizer for when things don't work out as intended and fix things as needed rather than trying to get everything right in the first shot. Once the supplies and fertilizer amounts are going up ever so slightly, i.e. production meets or slightly exceeds demand, you're basically done with a sustainable base.

Update on earlier issue about supplies disappearing.

Installed the new version of LS and have not seen the cycling issue after a few attempts to trigger.  But, I did see that about 200 supplies were reduced from PL after a three day warp in KSC, even though I produce 300+ surplus supplies per day. So I started looking into whether the power consumption calculated during catch up processing could be an issue.

My AM base (two Tundra AM) has 27K battery and a 1.25 nuke directly attached.  If I enable all four bays (3 cultivate(S), 1 agroponics) and the two Ranger greenhouse efficiency parts, the nuke jumps to 100% and batteries get drained within a few seconds. Then, they draw from two PDUs nearby and everything runs fine. I just tested stopping the efficiency parts, which dropped the bay load enough to be self reliant on the nuke (75% load) and no PDU help was needed. Did a three day warp in KSC, went to the base, and the supplies increased by the correct amount after the catch up processing finished (about 100 surplus per day).

So, I would ask that the calculations for power availability be looked at to see whether they are reflecting external PDU support correctly, especially if an underpowered power source is already attached.  With everything enabled and nuke at 100%, I can still be drawing power from PDUs every 10-15 seconds, which works when the base is active but may not be reflected correctly during catch up. Will also put a Github issue.