[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

On 02/04/2017 at 5:46 PM, Galileo said:

I like opm but I don't think it's great to be honest. People like it because it's stock alike, and that's fine. It's probably the only planet pack that could be a good addition to the stock game. But that's the problem. The stock game is boring and stale. That is why planet packs exist. Just my opinion.

In part I agree. Over the course of developing my own planets (no advertising intended) I often asked myself 'how many people will play this?' And 'is it worth investing months if not years of my time developing this?'. Thankfully I am having great fun developing planets, I'm just horrific when it comes to drawing. 

Personally I prefer stock a like planets because it means you don't need any other mods (part packs, ugghhhh) to land on every planet. I'm not trying to call out any packs either - we just have different tastes.

A major issue with some planet packs is that when they are poorly compiled (I've done this myself) stuff begins to stop working. I'm developing my own planets as stockalike to get the 'plug and play' feeling.

Some mods that add star systems outside of Kerbol get realistic (which is fine) but covering that distance in the stock game is nearly impossible without, well, non realistic part packs (warp drives, yet I suppose there are other methods like ions and whatnot)

Just though I might add my own thoughts. I'm in awe of both yours and this planet pack and I'm always looking into how to produce better planets myself.

Sorry if the above didn't make too much sense, it's far too late and it's been a tough day.

Fly safe

@StarCrusher96 Because I'm on mobile and can't download, are you able to tell me if your mod adds any planets to the current stock system, and if so, the general locations (between this and that - thereabouts).

If it doesn't add to the stock system, it should be compatible with my own (I saw you wanted to expand your list) :)

EDIT: just opened the spoiler - my bad! I'll check the distances tomorrow and let you know if they're compatible if you like.

Edited by Gameslinx

29 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

@StarCrusher96 Because I'm on mobile and can't download, are you able to tell me if your mod adds any planets to the current stock system, and if so, the general locations (between this and that - thereabouts).

If it doesn't add to the stock system, it should be compatible with my own (I saw you wanted to expand your list) :)

EDIT: just opened the spoiler - my bad! I'll check the distances tomorrow and let you know if they're compatible if you like.

I can make it compatible like i did with gpp :) giving your planets their own system.

Edited by StarCrusher96

2 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

0.6 Teasers :P

Sir I have a warrant for your arrest. Our many reports give us strong reason to believe that you are operating a brothel of planets in this establishment.

hotfuzz2_3040115c.jpg

I'm super hyped to use this mod, I've always wanted to go to alien planets and (bomb the everlasting crap out of them) take in the scenery. However I've run into an issue, said issue being the game won't load all the way. I have the log on hand, and I'll accept any help if it's still being given out. If not direction to those who can and will help would be invaluable.

This is what I've don so far. Initially I downloaded a ton of mods - a full list can be given - to play around with, such as B9 Aerospace, KSS, KSPI Ext, and KWR. I dropped a bunch of those mods after learning that some of them may not be compatible, but I stuck with KSS, KSPI, and of course the Kopernicus mod. Once I had all those cleared out I started the game again and it loaded... almost. It stops at the very end, crashing KSP shortly after 'completion' of the loading sequence.

In other words... HOLY CRAP 0.6!?! NOW I GOTTA DELETE THIS ONE AND GET THAT ONE.

3 hours ago, Zero1170 said:

I'm super hyped to use this mod, I've always wanted to go to alien planets and (bomb the everlasting crap out of them) take in the scenery. However I've run into an issue, said issue being the game won't load all the way. I have the log on hand, and I'll accept any help if it's still being given out. If not direction to those who can and will help would be invaluable.

This is what I've don so far. Initially I downloaded a ton of mods - a full list can be given - to play around with, such as B9 Aerospace, KSS, KSPI Ext, and KWR. I dropped a bunch of those mods after learning that some of them may not be compatible, but I stuck with KSS, KSPI, and of course the Kopernicus mod. Once I had all those cleared out I started the game again and it loaded... almost. It stops at the very end, crashing KSP shortly after 'completion' of the loading sequence.

In other words... HOLY CRAP 0.6!?! NOW I GOTTA DELETE THIS ONE AND GET THAT ONE.

Make sure you are running 64 bit and have enough RAM for the mod to load :)

4 hours ago, Zero1170 said:

If 0.5 gives troubles i'd wait for 0.6. It's much smoother to run than 0.5.

4 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

If 0.5 gives troubles i'd wait for 0.6. It's much smoother to run than 0.5.

Alright, thanks very much. Can't wait to be able to CONQUER THE UNI- I-I-I mean explore these new worlds and civilizations.

Just a quick question, how do I fix this?

w8PUE4h.png

(The textures are CTTP and not stretched). Config file:

Spoiler

Material
			{
				saturation = 1
				contrast = 0.75
				//tintColor = 0.172549,0.172549,0.172549,0.4823529
				//powerNear = 0.725
				//powerFar = 0.675
				groundTexStart = 0
				groundTexEnd = 5000
				steepPower = 2
                steepTexStart = 5000
                steepTexEnd = 50000
                steepTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                steepBumpMap = BUILTIN/RockyGround2
                steepNearTiling = 800
                steepTiling = 80
				steepTexScale = 1,1
				steepTexOffset = 0,0

lowTex = CTTP/Textures/grass
				lowBumpMap = CTTP/Textures/grass_normal
				lowNearTiling = 2500
				lowMultiFactor = 25
				lowTexScale = 1,1
				lowTexOffset = 0,0
				lowBumpNearTiling = 2500
				lowBumpFarTiling = 25
				lowBumpMapScale = 1,1
				lowBumpMapOffset = 0,0

midTex = CTTP/Textures/sand
				midBumpMap = CTTP/Textures/sand_normal
				midNearTiling = 2500
				midMultiFactor = 25
				midBumpNearTiling = 2500
				midBumpFarTiling = 25
				midTexScale = 1,1
				midTexOffset = 0,0
				midBumpMapScale = 1,1
				midBumpMapOffset = 0,0

highTex = CTTP/Textures/rock
				highBumpMap = CTTP/Textures/rock_normal
				highNearTiling = 2500
				highMultiFactor = 25
				highBumpNearTiling = 2500
				highBumpFarTiling = 25
				highTexScale = 1,1
				highTexOffset = 0,0
				highBumpMapScale = 1,1
				highBumpMapOffset = 0,0

lowStart = 0
				lowEnd = 0.4
				highStart = 0.7
				highEnd = 1
			}

4 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Hide contents

Material
			{
				saturation = 1
				contrast = 0.75
				//tintColor = 0.172549,0.172549,0.172549,0.4823529
				//powerNear = 0.725
				//powerFar = 0.675
				groundTexStart = 0
				groundTexEnd = 5000
				steepPower = 2
                steepTexStart = 5000
                steepTexEnd = 50000
                steepTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                steepBumpMap = BUILTIN/RockyGround2
                steepNearTiling = 800
                steepTiling = 80
				steepTexScale = 1,1
				steepTexOffset = 0,0

lowTex = CTTP/Textures/grass
				lowBumpMap = CTTP/Textures/grass_normal
				lowNearTiling = 2500
				lowMultiFactor = 25
				lowTexScale = 1,1
				lowTexOffset = 0,0
				lowBumpNearTiling = 2500
				lowBumpFarTiling = 25
				lowBumpMapScale = 1,1
				lowBumpMapOffset = 0,0

midTex = CTTP/Textures/sand
				midBumpMap = CTTP/Textures/sand_normal
				midNearTiling = 2500
				midMultiFactor = 25
				midBumpNearTiling = 2500
				midBumpFarTiling = 25
				midTexScale = 1,1
				midTexOffset = 0,0
				midBumpMapScale = 1,1
				midBumpMapOffset = 0,0

highTex = CTTP/Textures/rock
				highBumpMap = CTTP/Textures/rock_normal
				highNearTiling = 2500
				highMultiFactor = 25
				highBumpNearTiling = 2500
				highBumpFarTiling = 25
				highTexScale = 1,1
				highTexOffset = 0,0
				highBumpMapScale = 1,1
				highBumpMapOffset = 0,0

lowStart = 0
				lowEnd = 0.4
				highStart = 0.7
				highEnd = 1
			}

On first sight I can't really notice something, but if it is ment to look like sand. I think your lowtex and lowbumpmap should be sand.

14 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

On first sight I can't really notice something, but if it is ment to look like sand. I think your lowtex and lowbumpmap should be sand.

It uses CTTP Beach and Beach_normal textures.

If you look closely at the terrain it looks incredibly stretched. After checking the CTTP folder the stretching is not because of the textures - I think it is a config issue but I'm not sure. Some others reported this issue using my planet pack

Thanks for looking, though - I'll see if using the built-in textures fixes it

21 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

It uses CTTP Beach and Beach_normal textures.

If you look closely at the terrain it looks incredibly stretched. After checking the CTTP folder the stretching is not because of the textures - I think it is a config issue but I'm not sure. Some others reported this issue using my planet pack

Thanks for looking, though - I'll see if using the built-in textures fixes it

Nothing you can do about it. It's a Unity thing. Doesn't happen all the time. It happens most when using hyper edit to get to the surface

9 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Nothing you can do about it. It's a Unity thing. Doesn't happen all the time. It happens most when using hyper edit to get to the surface

Hmm. It's happening at KSC when I first load the game then corrects itself later but not alwayd. I guess if there's nothing to be done, I need not worry about it so much.

So I decided to start exploring more bodies in my missions, and I chose to explore Rix, the icy planet in the Kerolon System. I built a small lander, basically to see how well I could land. I thought Rix would be an easy landing; it looks flat from map view. 

Boy was I wrong.

I landed on the side of one of Rix's dimples and tumbled uncontrollably for a few minutes. Fortunately, everything managed to survive the landing. Here's me realizing I may be screwed:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B31rMiQFZ3kDVTZ6d1ZXajNRbTA/view?usp=sharing

So here's my advice. Make sure you really know a planet before attempting a landing. It's what I really love about this mod!

This concludes part 1 of my mission logs