[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

0.6 has still some annoying bugs (-> clouds), I'll release it as soon as I'm able to find out what causes them (1-2 days). SORRY for waiting but I want to get 0.6 'bug-free'.

-> some pretty pics while you wait.

Eve

Eve.png?dl=1

Laho

Laho.png?dl=1

Ilve

Ilve.png?dl=1

One of my Koyager probes just detected an anomaly on the edge of Kerbol's SOI....  It's really big.  And potentially heading for either Jool or Sarnus....  Details coming soon....

By the way, Koyager is on the launch pad....  That's how big this object is......

Also, take your time.  We'll all be the better for it

Edited by smotheredrun

37 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

One of my Koyager probes just detected an anomaly on the edge of Kerbol's SOI....  It's really big.  And potentially heading for either Jool or Sarnus....  Details coming soon....

By the way, Koyager is on the launch pad....  That's how big this object is......

Is it the hype train?

Per a suggestion on the Galileo's Planet Pack thread, you folks might be interested in this:

Spoiler

This mod adds long-range antennas using stock assets to facilitate communications networks for planet packs larger than the stock solar system. This allows the player to extend, rather than replace, the stock antenna progression, making long-range relays possible without trivializing inner-system communications.

• The RA-500 weighs 1.3 tons and has range rating of 500 Gm. It has a 1.25m bottom node and fits in a 5m fairing (i.e. it's a 2x rescaled RA-15.)
  • The RA-2500 weighs 2.6 tons and has a range rating of 2.5 Tm. It has a 2.5m bottom node and fits in a 7.5m fairing (i.e. it's a 2x rescaled RA-100.)
  • The RA-12500 weighs 5.2 tons and has a range rating of 12.5 Tm. It has a 2.5m bottom node and fits in a 10m fairing (i.e. its a 4x rescaled RA-15.)

As an incidental benefit, these antennas offer progressively better transmission performance than the stock relay antennas, particularly in terms of ElectricCharge consumed per Mit transmitted.

The enormous size of these antennas demands an unconventional approach to deployment. Possibilities include:

• Off-world manufacturing via mods such as Extraplanetary LaunchpadsOSE Workshop, or Ground Construction.
  • Oversized launch vehicles such as AB Launchers (5m), DIRECT (5m & 7.5m), or SpaceY Lifters/SpaceY Expanded (5m, 7.5m, & 10m). To facilitate the simultaneous launch of multiple satellites, this mod adds stock fairings (including interstage trusses) resized to 5m, 7.5m, and 10m diameters.
  • In case none of the above appeal to you, compact deployable versions of all three antennas are provided (via rescaling of the Communotron 88-88 to 0.625m, 0.9375m, and 1.25m.)

As the new antennas are substantially more powerful than the stock Deep Space Network, three additional levels of the Tracking Station are provided via the Custom Barn Kit (not included.) These allow the player to choose between launching local relays or simply boosting the DSN.

• Level 4 of the Tracking Station costs 2,111,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 1.25 Tm.
  • Level 5 of the Tracking Station costs 7,916,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 6.25 Tm.
  • Level 6 of the Tracking Station costs 29,685,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 31.25 Tm.

This presents alternatives at several performance points to the excellent JX2 Large Deployable Antenna. These parts are generally cheaper and less massive than the JX2 for their range with the trade-off of being much bulkier and far less visually distinctive.

As a bonus, I've included a half-scale version of the RA-2 antenna that has the stats of the HG-5. This alternate handle-free form factor for the HG-5 fits better on compact probe assemblies as small as 0.3125m. Also included for launching miniature relays is a 0.625m fairing; I recommend RLA Stockalike for 0.625m launch vehicles.

Installation and Requirements

To install, copy the files to your GameData folder.

This mod requires ModuleManager (not included.) Custom Barn Kit is required for the extended tracking station progression, but otherwise optional.

Edited by PocketBrotector

1 hour ago, PocketBrotector said:

Per a suggestion on the Galileo's Planet Pack thread, you folks might be interested in this:

Reveal hidden contents

This mod adds long-range antennas using stock assets to facilitate communications networks for planet packs larger than the stock solar system. This allows the player to extend, rather than replace, the stock antenna progression, making long-range relays possible without trivializing inner-system communications.

• The RA-500 weighs 1.3 tons and has range rating of 500 Gm. It has a 1.25m bottom node and fits in a 5m fairing (i.e. it's a 2x rescaled RA-15.)
  • The RA-2500 weighs 2.6 tons and has a range rating of 2.5 Tm. It has a 2.5m bottom node and fits in a 7.5m fairing (i.e. it's a 2x rescaled RA-100.)
  • The RA-12500 weighs 5.2 tons and has a range rating of 12.5 Tm. It has a 2.5m bottom node and fits in a 10m fairing (i.e. its a 4x rescaled RA-15.)

As an incidental benefit, these antennas offer progressively better transmission performance than the stock relay antennas, particularly in terms of ElectricCharge consumed per Mit transmitted.

The enormous size of these antennas demands an unconventional approach to deployment. Possibilities include:

• Off-world manufacturing via mods such as Extraplanetary LaunchpadsOSE Workshop, or Ground Construction.
  • Oversized launch vehicles such as AB Launchers (5m), DIRECT (5m & 7.5m), or SpaceY Lifters/SpaceY Expanded (5m, 7.5m, & 10m). To facilitate the simultaneous launch of multiple satellites, this mod adds stock fairings (including interstage trusses) resized to 5m, 7.5m, and 10m diameters.
  • In case none of the above appeal to you, compact deployable versions of all three antennas are provided (via rescaling of the Communotron 88-88 to 0.625m, 0.9375m, and 1.25m.)

As the new antennas are substantially more powerful than the stock Deep Space Network, three additional levels of the Tracking Station are provided via the Custom Barn Kit (not included.) These allow the player to choose between launching local relays or simply boosting the DSN.

• Level 4 of the Tracking Station costs 2,111,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 1.25 Tm.
  • Level 5 of the Tracking Station costs 7,916,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 6.25 Tm.
  • Level 6 of the Tracking Station costs 29,685,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 31.25 Tm.

This presents alternatives at several performance points to the excellent JX2 Large Deployable Antenna. These parts are generally cheaper and less massive than the JX2 for their range with the trade-off of being much bulkier and far less visually distinctive.

As a bonus, I've included a half-scale version of the RA-2 antenna that has the stats of the HG-5. This alternate handle-free form factor for the HG-5 fits better on compact probe assemblies as small as 0.3125m. Also included for launching miniature relays is a 0.625m fairing; I recommend RLA Stockalike for 0.625m launch vehicles.

Installation and Requirements

To install, copy the files to your GameData folder.

This mod requires ModuleManager (not included.) Custom Barn Kit is required for the extended tracking station progression, but otherwise optional.

Looks cool, but there are already antennas implemented into the mod, some of which are able to reach much longer lengths. I will keep an eye out for this one, though! :wink:

Edited by TheSpacePotato

6 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

0.6 has still some annoying bugs (-> clouds), I'll release it as soon as I'm able to find out what causes them (1-2 days). SORRY for waiting but I want to get 0.6 'bug-free'.

-> some pretty pics while you wait.

Eve

Eve.png?dl=1

Laho

Laho.png?dl=1

Ilve

Ilve.png?dl=1

*qasp*

But good luck!

9 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

Also, take your time.  We'll all be the better for it

Didn't know Sarnus was in KSS :P

18 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

Didn't know Sarnus was in KSS :P

Haha it's not. It's in my current save.  Koyager is supposed to be doing a Jool slingshot out to Sarnus and beyond. 

However, Drufus Kerman forgot to deactivate two of its on board sensors, the High Orbit Light observatorY experiment and the Cosmic Ray Aperture Processor after their preflight tests. Those two sensors have detected a very large mass heading towards the Kerbol system. It is feared this mass could precipitate a mass extinction event on a system wide scale.

And now in sports.......

Edited by smotheredrun
typos

16 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

I was anticipating 0.6 to be released today :wink:

Starcrusher has been trying to work on fixing a few bugs

As a bunch of people said, it's better to have a bug-free mod released late than a glitchy mod to be released early. Something probably popped up in the game and he had to focus on that. Patience is rewarded with the best work. :)

1 hour ago, TheSpacePotato said:

As a bunch of people said, it's better to have a bug-free mod released late than a glitchy mod to be released early. Something probably popped up in the game and he had to focus on that. Patience is rewarded with the best work. :)

yes sorry guys, found some problems that I overlooked while working on 0.6. 

7 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

0.6 is being tested (to make sure the changes I made actually work)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So I have to ask again. What's going to be new with 0.6? 

Edited by Mr Betelgeuse

4 minutes ago, Mr Betelgeuse said:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mostly science and career stuff. KSS 0.6 is going to be the first KSS version that will be career ready. :)

20 hours ago, Mr Betelgeuse said:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

0.6 will have:

- sciencedefs for Mun, Duna, Eve, Pol & Icy Laythe

- science values for bodies 

- career-ready contracts

- Kelnis System

- Hetoo, Orph and Silne

- Updated textures for planets

- updated and improved clouds

- bug fixes 

Overall, 0.6 is going to be the first career-ready update. Get those rockets prepped for this one!

1 hour ago, TheSpacePotato said:

0.6 will have:

- sciencedefs for Mun, Duna, Eve, Pol & Icy Laythe

- science values for bodies 

- career-ready contracts

- Kelnis System

- Hetoo, Orph and Silne

- Updated textures for planets

- updated and improved clouds

- bug fixes 

Overall, 0.6 is going to be the first career-ready update. Get those rockets prepped for this one!

So you guys made new science defs for the stock bodies? Why not focus on the new, non stock bodies that really need them and let the stock ones keep the stock science defs for now? Just seems like a waste of time and effort to me. This isn't my mod so do what you will, I just hate to see you guys get bombarded with "why isn't this ready for 1.0 yet?" questions. I know how annoying that can be, but hey, if you made them better, then kudos to you.

Edited by Galileo

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

So you guys made new science defs for the stock bodies? Why not focus on the new, non stock bodies that really need them and let the stock ones keep the stock science defs for now? Just seems like a waste of time and effort to me. This isn't my mod so do what you will, I just hate to see you guys get bombarded with "why isn't this ready for 1.0 yet?" questions. I know how annoying that can be, but hey, if you made them better, then kudos to you.

Sciencedefs take a long time to make. There's lots of biomes for bodies in the Kerbol System (once we get to bodies with less biomes it'll be faster). My guess is we work on bodies that are more easy to access in Career mode instead of working on bodies that take practically forever to be capable of reaching. The reason we had to focus on stock bodies is because of the fact that many of them have changed in KSS (Eve is no longer purple, Laythe is icy, Pol is now an Io analogue, etc) so we really had to change those first. We're almost done with stock bodies, anyways, and probably will be heading on to the Voon System afterwords. :)

As for "why isn't this ready for 1.0" questions, according to StarCrusher, by the time 1.0 rolls around most of the features he has planned will probably be implemented (storyline, completed systems). As far as my understanding goes, 1.0 may be mostly bugfixes and added realism. I'm not much more than just the help, so what StarCrusher has planned is beyond my knowledge. :P

2 minutes ago, TheSpacePotato said:

Sciencedefs take a long time to make.

The reason we had to focus on stock bodies is because of the fact that many of them have changed in KSS (Eve is no longer purple, Laythe is icy, Pol is now an Io analogue, etc) so we really had to change those first. 

Oh, I know all to well how long science defs take :) that was why my reaction was such when I read that the stock bodies were being done first! Initially, I thought the priorities were out of wack, but I hadn't considered that the stock bodies were changed. I have only ran this mod once because I have been busy with my other mods, I really just pop in to help beat  away the entitled beggers or help with troubleshooting. I feel like I overstepped my boundaries asking what I asked but I was clearly uneducated on the matters. I just wanted to make sure you guys were moving forward and not laterally so impatient users wouldn't complain. :wink:

21 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Not really stock bodies. More like "bodies that have the same name as stock bodies but are now completely and utterly different". :P

6 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

The other thing to consider is that we're three people writting them so, its not too bad. :wink:

You guys got it easy! In GPP I have 1 guy and his poor wife writing 4260 definitions. Those two are the real MVP lol I don't think I know 4260 words!

Edited by Galileo