[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

13 hours ago, DaBakonAder said:

Alright then!

I have had NO problems with any of them so thats nice.

I think there will be an update to some of them anyway, as some of them contain docking ports that will be made compatible to the new rotating (actual wobbly) stock ones as nertea stated some pages ago. So just just keep an eye on potential updates to the NF cosmos in the nearer future. 

1 minute ago, Nertea said:

I'll probably add the rotational feature to the annular,  octo -> 2.5 and octo -> 1.25 ports but not to the octo, spinal or hex ports as they already have angle locking involved

Agreed, this makes perfectly sense. Only rounded circular dockingports without angle locking (I love this angle locking feature, by the way) should be able to rotate... (and for completenesses sake the round ports from SSPXr and Restock+)

Near Future Propulsion 1.3.4

• Marked for KSP 1.12
  • Updated B9PartSwitch to 2.18.0
  • Fixed some Waterfall stuff

Near Future Electrical 1.2.3

• KSP 1.12
  • Updated DynamicBatteryStorage to 2.2.4
  • RadioisotopeGenerator and FissionGenerator modules now count for contract objective completion

Near Future Solar 1.3.2

• Marked for KSP 1.12

Near Future Exploration 1.1.2

• KSP 1.12
  • Updated bundled B9PartSwitch to 2.18.0

Near Future Aeronautics 2.1.1

• KSP 1.12.x
  • Updated bundled DeployableEngines to 1.3.1
  • Updated bundled B9PartSwitch to 2.18.0
  • Fixed position of large ramp intake attach node

Near Future Spacecraft 1.4.2

• KSP 1.11
  • Updated NearFutureProps to 0.6.5
  • Fixed an issue with Waterfall light on Pandora pod

Near Future Construction update requires docking port surgery that I won't be doing soon. Near Future Launch Vehicles update needs a number of cleanup things for plumes that is tedious.

Edited by Nertea

Finished NFLV 2.2.0 update tonight.

• KSP 1.12
  • DELETED ALL LEGACY PARTS
  • Retired NearFutureMethalox extra because it's pointless
  • Updated DeployableEngines to 1.3.1
  • 5m fairing base now contains all the Restock+ variants for this part so it can more reasonably replace the MH version if installed
  • Fixed 7.5m fairing base having a fairing variant when it shouldn't have
  • 5m docking port now has rotational capabilities
  • Bipropellant RCS blocks (ACES and other large blocks) can now use part switching to select LF/O, LCH4/O or LH2/O if CryoTanks is installed
  • Added Waterfall effects to ACES blocks
  • Redid Waterfall mono and bipropellant heavy RCS effects

Apologies if this is a bone question or the wrong place to post it.

I sometimes find that with NF I install all of them and tend to get a bit overwhelmed what to use where in the VAB.

Can anyone recommend which ones to install and try out first ? "Try installing these 3 first and go from there" for example.

I was thinking maybe, electrical, solar and propulsion maybe? 

or is it just a case of, install all of them and just get stuck in, you'll get used to it? :D

Also thank you @Nertea, awesome work as always. I held off on 1.12 until Restock was updated and was 100% worth the wait! 

Attempting to download the NFLV update through CKAN is failing. I suspect this is not a problem on your end, but rather an issue with SpaceDock, given the error message. The other NearFuture mod updates were successful. For all I know, this error will resolve itself when SpaceDock performs whatever cron jobs it needs to to host mods.

One or more downloads were unsuccessful:

Error downloading NearFutureLaunchVehicles 2.2.0: Unable to read data from the transport connection: The connection was closed.

EDIT: As suspected, the error seems to have resolved itself.

Edited by Inglonias
error resolved

9 hours ago, Squeaky said:

Apologies if this is a bone question or the wrong place to post it.

I sometimes find that with NF I install all of them and tend to get a bit overwhelmed what to use where in the VAB.

Can anyone recommend which ones to install and try out first ? "Try installing these 3 first and go from there" for example.

I was thinking maybe, electrical, solar and propulsion maybe? 

or is it just a case of, install all of them and just get stuck in, you'll get used to it? :D

Also thank you @Nertea, awesome work as always. I held off on 1.12 until Restock was updated and was 100% worth the wait! 

I had exactly the same problem. So i startet with NF electrical and NF propulsion, as they fit nicely to each other in combination with Heat Controll (more radiators for the heating issues). And then I got to the marvelous SystemHeat (also one of nertea's mods) , that completely reworks the heat system in the game. That was enough learning stuff for the first run. 

Then I downloaded Stockalike Stationparts Expansion Redux... From that point I got to play around with NF Construction, as Stationbuilding was in focus then in my actual playthrough. Therefore I dived slowly into NF Solar, which matches stationbuilding well, too.

From there I got to Far Future Technologies stuff, cause this mod is too attractive. (And as i had all dependencies for cryo engines already ensembled, it was just logical to add these cryo engines too) ...

More Mods from this Mod cosmos are yet to come to my Ksp install, as I'm not through with working through with the cryo engines stuff to confidently use them in the right usecases. And the FF stuff is waiting for deeper analysis and writing down my notes, too. Think the next Mod to install will be NFLV (which I had temporarily installed, but it was just so much at once, so i decided to keep that for later, same goes for Kerbal Atomics)... but i'll wait with further installing Mods until I can upgrade to 1.12, as KSP 1.12 is too bug-plagued for me at the moment. 

I am so astonished, how fast Nertea upgrades his mods to 1.12 that I'd bet a banana, that all the NF stuff will available faster for 1.12.x than KSP 1.12.x itself will be in a playworthy condition.:cool:

Edited by Rakete

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

I had exactly the same problem. So i startet with NF electrical and NF propulsion, as they fit nicely to each other in combination with Heat Controll (more radiators for the heating issues). And than I got to the marvelous System Heat, that completely reworks the heat system in the game. That was enough learning stuff for the first run. 

Than I downloaded Stockalike Stationparts Expansion Redux... From that point I got to play around with NF Construction, as Stationbuilding was in focus then in my actual playthrough. Therefore I dived slowly into NF Solar, which matches stationbuilding well, too.

From there I got to Far Future Technologies stuff, cause this mod is too attractive. (And as i had all dependencies for cryo engines already ensembled, it was just logical to add these cryo engines too) ...

More Mods from this Mod cosmos are yet to come to my Ksp install, as I'm not through with working through with the cryo engines stuff to confidently use them in the right usecases. And the FF stuff is waiting for deeper analysis and writing down my notes, too. Think the next Mod to install will be NFLV (which I had temporarily installed, but it was just so much at once, so i decided to keep that for later, same goes for Kerbal Atomics)... but i'll wait with further installing Mods until I can upgrade to 1.12, as KSP 1.12 is too bug-plagued for me at the moment. 

I am so astonished, how fast Nertea upgrades his mods to 1.12 that I'd bet a banana, that all the NF stuff will available faster for 1.12.x than KSP 1.12.x itself will be in a playworthy condition.:cool:

Wow @Rakete thank you!!

I was half expecting a "Stop moaning and just download them" but think you have genuinely sorted me for next few months.

I'm going to follow that route as that seems spot on what I was looking for, and i'll be back in October for what you found next :D

I think 1.12 needed a little longer in the oven, but at the same time I can understand that they wanted it out for the anniversary, certainly more stable than some releases recently.

Also agree with the insane pace of the mod updates not to mention the quality and also research into the real world physics (or theoretical physics in NF and FF 's case)

Thanks again for the advice, hugely appreciated, looks like i have a date with CKAN:D

15 minutes ago, Squeaky said:

Wow @Rakete thank you!!

I was half expecting a "Stop moaning and just download them" but think you have genuinely sorted me for next few months.

I'm going to follow that route as that seems spot on what I was looking for, and i'll be back in October for what you found next :D

I think 1.12 needed a little longer in the oven, but at the same time I can understand that they wanted it out for the anniversary, certainly more stable than some releases recently.

Also agree with the insane pace of the mod updates not to mention the quality and also research into the real world physics (or theoretical physics in NF and FF 's case)

Thanks again for the advice, hugely appreciated, looks like i have a date with CKAN:D

Also make sure to have a look in the extras folder of Nerteas Mod distribution packages, there are some patches, that make things even better (e.g. turning stock parts like drills and ISRUs in SystemHeat participants and such stuff...) They are almost always worth having a look, what they do and if it fits your likings.

Edited by Rakete

4 hours ago, Rakete said:

Also make sure to have a look in the extras folder of Nerteas Mod distribution packages

If I install via CKAN, the Extras folders aren't installed.  Is the only way to get them to download all of the individual packages and copy the Extras folders over?

20 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

If I install via CKAN, the Extras folders aren't installed.  Is the only way to get them to download all of the individual packages and copy the Extras folders over?

Extras packages are other mods in CKAN. You can search/install them just like any other mod. 

6 hours ago, Rakete said:

Also make sure to have a look in the extras folder of Nerteas Mod distribution packages, there are some patches, that make things even better (e.g. turning stock parts like drills and ISRUs in SystemHeat participants and such stuff...) They are almost always worth having a look, what they do and if it fits your likings.

Also, one of my favorites, the extra that makes RTGs have radioactive decay over time. (in NFE)

Minor sidequestion: Has NF Spacecraft coincidentally fixed the kerbals heads clipping through the plane of sight (in the Iva-Windows down in the right hand corner) in the current iteration? 

Edited by Rakete

5 hours ago, Rakete said:

Minor sidequestion: Has NF Spacecraft coincidentally fixed the kerbals heads clipping through the plane of sight (in the Iva-Windows down in the right hand corner) in the current iteration? 

... no? I'm not seeing an issue for it.

Side note that you report a lot of bugs and I try to keep up with them, but if you really want me not to lose something you need to make an issue on the mod's gitHub, particularly for minor issues that I'll definitely forget as I have a lot of mods. 

30 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Side note that you report a lot of bugs and I try to keep up with them, but if you really want me not to lose something you need to make an issue on the mod's gitHub, particularly for minor issues that I'll definitely forget as I have a lot of mods. 

Yeah, I'm just trying to help, as I think it's best to report a bug (fixing worthy or just a minor thing - prioritizing or discarding is always up to you), as I believe these great mods deserve any hopefully useful input they can get. I'll see, how I can make up issues on github. Never had to do with this system - i'll need an account. I will have to take some minutes to get through this stuff. I didn't know, that you want us/me to file issues on github. I was afraid, that it would annoy you, if I would interfere there.

Please don't be annoyed by the reported bugs here. They are not meant to keep you working or to annoy you. I do not presume to define requirements and force their implementation like in my RL-job :wink:. (yes, we requirements engineers in safety departments tend to be very annoying people in the R&D at times :D   ...)

30 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I'm not seeing an issue for it.

Alright, just wanted to mention it. The little IVA Windows below right hand side, that show the kerbals are perspective wise a little pushed forward, so that the Eyes of some kerbals clip through the plane of the camera, so that the kerbals sometime seem to have no eyes. Minor thing. 

In fact, your mods are close to perfection. As close as a mod can be. None of the bug reports is meant as moaning or stuff like that.)

Edited by Rakete

@Nertea

Fed most of my bug reports (minor and major) into the respective github repository issues list of the affected mods (NFP, SH, DBS, NFLV, KA etc.) So feel free to sort, prioritize or discard them completely according to your preferences and roadmaps. Hope it helps.

Edited by Rakete