Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

On 3/23/2018 at 5:07 PM, adsii1970 said:

Copied and pasted from an actual student email:

:huh:

Firstly, is this even remotely English?

Secondly, the moron had five days to complete an on-line exam. FIVE days. Does he not realize that last night at midnight, the course's on-line shell took the exam off-line, as in NOT AVAILABLE? Yes, I set due dates and then set the settings to remove the exams from being available.

Had a conversation with someone today. We were wondering what the 'new' generation is called. There were Baby Boomers (of which I believe I'm one, I think), and Gen-X. After that, I don't know. It was suggested this new generation be called Gen-Huh? ... although my suggestion was Gen-Gimme. What do you think?

Anyway.

I don't often yell and shake my fist at games, but when I do... it's this one.....
https://www.kongregate.com/games/bitgem/balls-vs-zombies

For the life of me, I cannot get past 70. Grrrrr :mad:

6 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Had a conversation with someone today. We were wondering what the 'new' generation is called. There were Baby Boomers (of which I believe I'm one, I think), and Gen-X. After that, I don't know. It was suggested this new generation be called Gen-Huh? ... although my suggestion was Gen-Gimme. What do you think?

Anyway.

I don't often yell and shake my fist at games, but when I do... it's this one.....
https://www.kongregate.com/games/bitgem/balls-vs-zombies

For the life of me, I cannot get past 70. Grrrrr :mad:

I heard it's baby boomers, gen X, mellinials (probably butchered the spelling on that) then generation Z for those darn kids on their i-phones and their computy-gadgets.

There's also a term 'Xennials', to bridge the gap between GenX and Mellinials, who were born in the late 70's, who were born into analog technology and had to learn digital stuff.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DD9qcV89oFIw&ved=0ahUKEwi1xabVgpTaAhVDnq0KHYfLBtwQ3ywIJzAA&usg=AOvVaw0G5BzENs75Z0aOSG8PRCpE

1 hour ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

There's also a term 'Xennials', to bridge the gap between GenX and Mellinials, who were born in the late 70's, who were born into analog technology and had to learn digital stuff.

As a duly designated representative of this fine group of people, we would like to remain GenX.  

Apparently, according to Wikipedia, I'm on the cusp between older and younger boomers.

I had thought GenX was called such because that population was supposed to be the 10th generation ('X') since American Independence... although the Wiki says 13th. Close but no cigar.

10 hours ago, LordFerret said:

They are called millennials, or Generation-Y.

The next generation is probably going to be called "Generation Smartphone", or "Fortnite players"

Meh.  Generational designations have shifted over the last 20+ years, so that everything that came after Generation X has had so many different names/definitions to make it nearly useless, beyond there being some ill-defined and shifting group called Millennials.

It's all bunk, anyway.  Just because people were born around the same time doesn't mean their lives will be similar, beyond the very basics.  They live through the same events, but each one is affected differently.  Different upbringings means people will take away something different from the same experience.  People are individuals, and overly broad generalizations aren't particularly helpful (unless your dealing with statistics, maybe).

Anyway, it generally boils down to:
My generation is the best. 
The previous generation is stubbornly stuck in their ways and out of touch with the modern world. 
The next generation is full of spoiled brats who are completely ruining pop culture and have no clue how to deal with life. (Also, they need to get off my lawn and turn their weird music down.)

Edited by razark

3 hours ago, razark said:

It's all bunk, anyway.  Just because people were born around the same time doesn't mean their lives will be similar, beyond the very basics.  They live through the same events, but each one is affected differently.  Different upbringings means people will take away something different from the same experience.  People are individuals, and overly broad generalizations aren't particularly helpful (unless your dealing with statistics, maybe).

Indeed. Im a millennial, and along with my other fellow millennials, we don't apply to most of the stereotypes.

The whole "generation stereotypes" can't be said to more than half of the population world neither.

Picture this, Lisa and Jack are the same age, but Jack lives in place A and Lisa in place B, Jack gets dropped of to school everyday by his dad with his car, Jack is also in love with his iphone. Lisa on the other hand doesn't have an iphone to play with, and has to drive her bicycle to school for 2 hours a day. 

Does this mean that Jack and people in place A are millennials, but Lisa and people in place B aren't millennials, even though they are born in the same year?

I don't quite appreciate 'generation hating/bragging'. Its discrimination.

I don't know. Some of the bravest, most selfless men I have ever met have been Millennials. And some of the most disappointing human beings I have ever had the misfortune of being involved with came from The Greatest Generation. I don't think that any generation has a monopoly on either.

18 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I don't know. Some of the bravest, most selfless men I have ever met have been Millennials. And some of the most disappointing human beings I have ever had the misfortune of being involved with came from The Greatest Generation. I don't think that any generation has a monopoly on either.

I agree... I don't think generation has anything to do with it. Doesn't matter when they were born, some people are really awesome, and others are.. shall we say, less than awesome?

But as far as generations, I'm not sure where exactly I am... I was born in 1962, so I think I'm a tail-end baby-boomer... maybe???

Edited by Just Jim

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

But as far as generations, I'm not sure where exactly I am... I was born in 1962, so I think I'm a tail-end baby-boomer... maybe???

1961 to 1980 is Generation X. You are an early arrival to that generation.

Just now, adsii1970 said:

1961 to 1980 is Generation X. You are an early arrival to that generation.

Yeah, but I was looking, and I read several articles that said Baby Boomers end somewhere between 1960-64, depending on the source... which is why I said may be one or the other... or both???  A little of both could explain a lot... lmao... :confused:

There are three schools of thought... You were not conceived at the end of WWII or Korea... And you were conceived when American "advisors" were in Vietnam (1957 or later)...

The second concept is based on the concept of a generation being roughly 20 years. If you're born in a particular 20 year period... This is what I use in American history research.

The third uses the year you became an adult, your 20th birthday. That puts you turning 20 in 1982, this an EARLY generation Xer.

Edited by adsii1970

3 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

Since we're talking about generations...... :D

That was great!!!  :D

I suppose the only thing to properly follow that up would be...

My Generation... :cool:

Oh.... and to keep this (sort of) on topic... just listen to the lyrics... the whole song is one big complaint!!!  :sticktongue:

Edited by Just Jim