Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

24 minutes ago, Delay said:

"api-ms-win-crt-private-l1-1-0.dll".

If I understood correctly l2-1-0 is the current dll it should use, but it doesn't.

That sounds like a Windows one to me. If I understand correctly, you have […]-l2-1-0.dll, yes? Try creating a junction—or whatever Windows calls symbolic links—which points at the existing file with the name of the missing one.

Went to upgrade a bank of coat hooks, only to discover that a screw holding the old one on had pierced the main drain line from the bathroom upstairs. The pipe itself was an easily patched with epoxy, but now I have two holes each about six feet long and  six-inches wide in the drywall to fix:mad:

3 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Excel is not a database. 

Well it's difficult when the other program only spits Excel...

... no, that's a lie. It also spits .xml but I'm not savvy enough to gobble up a program to extract the needed figures.

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Went to upgrade a bank of coat hooks, only to discover that a screw holding the old one on had pierced the main drain line from the bathroom upstairs. The pipe itself was an easily patched with epoxy, but now I have two holes each about six feet long and  six-inches wide in the drywall to fix:mad:

Ah, the joys of home ownership. :/

4 minutes ago, YNM said:

Well it's difficult when the other program only spits Excel...

... no, that's a lie. It also spits .xml but I'm not savvy enough to gobble up a program to extract the needed figures.

Can you pull it into Access afterwards?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm currently locked in a battle with our cable company. We switched over to them for Internet access back in the summer and everything was fine for months. Then about two weeks ago we started getting dropped connections every two or three hours. Rebooting the cable modem reconnects. Call them up, they send a tech out: He claims it's the house wiring. How can it be the house wiring!? Nothing in the house has changed! But just to humor them, I move the cable modem and router out to the garage, run a 25-foot coax cable straight from the cable box through the garage door to the cable modem, and set up the entire network in the garage, completely bypassing all of the house wiring. Guess what! We have the exact same problem! The tech came out again today, and he says: "Oh, you see, with this short of a cable you need an attenuator, that's why you're seeing drop-offs." So he installed an attenuator. Anyone want to bet me a dollar on what our Internet access is like tonight? :mad:

24 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I'm currently locked in a battle with our cable company. We switched over to them for Internet access back in the summer and everything was fine for months. Then about two weeks ago we started getting dropped connections every two or three hours. Rebooting the cable modem reconnects. Call them up, they send a tech out: He claims it's the house wiring. How can it be the house wiring!? Nothing in the house has changed! But just to humor them, I move the cable modem and router out to the garage, run a 25-foot coax cable straight from the cable box through the garage door to the cable modem, and set up the entire network in the garage, completely bypassing all of the house wiring. Guess what! We have the exact same problem! The tech came out again today, and he says: "Oh, you see, with this short of a cable you need an attenuator, that's why you're seeing drop-offs." So he installed an attenuator. Anyone want to bet me a dollar on what our Internet access is like tonight? :mad:

The techs are idiots, and it sounds like the cable company is just trying to blow you off.
Don't give them a millimetre. Be the squeaky wheel and trash their eardrums. :)

44 minutes ago, YNM said:

I'm absolutely clueless.

Well, I'm not sure what you're trying to do with the data, but I do know that with that Access is going to handle that many records a lot better than Excel will. And it will be a lot easier to write custom queries, forms, and reports too. Talk to your tech guys, see if they can help you out with it.

27 minutes ago, GDJ said:

The techs are idiots, and it sounds like the cable company is just trying to blow you off.
Don't give them a millimetre. Be the squeaky wheel and trash their eardrums. :)

Oh, trust me, I know exactly what they're doing. I've been in IT for over twenty years, I've danced the Redmond Two-Step many times. The key is to troubleshoot better than they can and jump through their hoops faster than they can come up with new hoops for you to jump through. That makes them mad, and then they get serious about solving the problem.

On 12/7/2018 at 12:26 PM, Delay said:

Firefox really like to interpret search queries as URLs.
So I'm typing in "string.h" and it tries a URL, rather than just listing the Google results.

And there doesn't seem to be an option to turn that off.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-search-bar-firefox-toolbar

It's the first thing I did to Firefox after they stupidly "streamlined" the interface to make it "easier" for me.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

Talk to your tech guys, see if they can help you out with it.

I'm just doing an assignment, I haven't worked yet XD

But I'll try look it up sometimes.

EDIT : I think I found a new strategy for it, so it's not as tedious anymore.

Edited by YNM

12 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Im surprised he didnt offer to upgrade your computer-plange or recalibrate the drabble plate.

I'm supposed to be replacing the brakes on my wife's car right now. Instead I am waiting for her to come home from work with my car so I can go to the store and buy brake grease. Because I got her car up on the jack stands and took it all apart, and then opened up the brake kit only to discover that the brake kit did not contain any brake grease. This despite the manufacturers illustrations online clearly showing a tube of brake grease included with the kit. Not happy. :mad:

@TheSaint

Just recently got Fios installed here.  It's ok, pretty fast.  It's got like 100 channels of music alone, something called Music Choice.  However, I discovered the set-top-box loads up the Music Choice app after you've selected an initial channel.  I was finding the music would 'burp' every 15 to 20 minutes (a dropout of sorts).  Very annoying.  It's their app that causes the problem.  The solution is to immediately escape out of the app and just let the channel play through live tv.  Hours upon hours of bliss without burps. :cool:

Anyway, that's not why I've come to post here tonight.....

Ran into an issue with my wife's MacBook Pro.  Safari decided to go on safari - it went belly up, repeatedly.  I reloaded her OS which worked for the evening, but then again today it went belly up again.  I did run across a reason and easy solution just this evening.  Problem seems to be solved.

Anyone else facing a similar issue should take a read here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/345678/how-to-solve-blank-safari-window-safari-crash-10-1-2

Two updates:

Finally finished the brakes on my wife's car. The rotor alignment screws on the front rotors were seized, so I had to drill them out. That was a lot of fun. Good news is that they don't actually have to be reinstalled, the wheel holds the rotors on just fine when it's torqued up. Got it all put back together and something was rubbing in the left rear brake, so I had to take it apart again to figure out what it was. (Dirt/rust got between the parking brake assembly and the drum.) Amusingly, I did finally find the brake grease that the manufacturer included. It was thrown in to the bottom of the box. Under 70 lbs of brake rotors. Needless to say, it wasn't in a usable state, and it made quite a mess down there.

And on the Internet front, we finally figured out what was broken! (I'll give you a hint: It wasn't the cabling.) It was our cable modem. We managed to talk the technician into giving us a loaner cable modem on Thursday, and that fixed all of our problems. Moved it back into the house from the garage yesterday morning, problems still were fixed. So we bought a new cable modem, which I just finished installing, and all is well now. Except that in the process of getting the new cable modem provisioned with the tech support guys I discovered that they've been billing us for the loaner modem (even though the tech swore on a stack of Bibles that this would not happen). So I get to go down to the local cable office tomorrow at lunchtime and go toe-to-toe with their billing department.

And everyone wonders why I hate people. :/ I'm gonna go have an old fashioned.

23 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Computatrum. It's used to run programmata computatralia.

https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computatrum

P.S.
I like tabula materna instead of motherboard, and plectrologium, too.

Am adopting this nomenclature permanently, from henceforthwith.

@TheSaint

"Brake Grease"?

Im sure its a real thing that you really need, but it sure sounds like one of Wile E. Coyote's murder plans. Like "Gas Tank Sweetener" or "Steering Loosener".

39 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

"Brake Grease"?

Im sure its a real thing that you really need, but it sure sounds like one of Wile E. Coyote's murder plans. Like "Gas Tank Sweetener" or "Steering Loosener".

While I understand the sentiment, it's actually the hydraulic fluid wot squeezes the brake calipers together.

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

it's actually the hydraulic fluid wot squeezes the brake calipers together.

Wouldn't that be brake fluid ?

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

sounds like one of Wile E. Coyote's murder plans. Like "Gas Tank Sweetener" or "Steering Loosener".

I think you can have too much friction on the brakes, though none that I know ever uses it.

6 hours ago, p1t1o said:

"Brake Grease"?

Excellent attempt at comedy. A+. Would buy tickets to.

5 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

While I understand the sentiment, it's actually the hydraulic fluid wot squeezes the brake calipers together.

No.

4 hours ago, YNM said:

Wouldn't that be brake fluid ?

Yes.

4 hours ago, YNM said:

I think you can have too much friction on the brakes, though none that I know ever uses it.

Not where you use brake grease.

Brake grease is used to ensure that the brake pads are able to slide freely inside of the brake calipers when the calipers press them against the rotors to stop the car. You smear just a little bit of grease on the tabs or pins that hold the brake pads in place when you insert the pads into the calipers (being very careful not to get any on the contacting faces of the rotors or the pads). You have to use specialized brake grease because the brakes can get very hot during normal use, and at those temperatures normal greases would just turn to liquid and run away. You don't need very much of it, normally the manufacturer just gives you a little packet of it in the kit, like one of those little sauce packets you get at Taco Bell. Well, in this case the manufacturer put the two little packets of grease in the bottom of the box and then dropped 70 lbs of brake rotors on top of them, so they exploded like the Taco Bell sauce packets do when you put them under a toilet seat. Not that I know what that would look like, since doing that to my friends on a camping trip would be immature and juvenile and I would never dream of such nonsense.

33 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Brake grease is used to ensure that the brake pads are able to slide freely inside of the brake calipers when the calipers press them against the rotors to stop the car.

Ah, that makes sense. You don't want your brakes to be stuck at one moment then full-on braking on the next.

Though indeed you can have too much roughness on the brake pads - this would usually cause the braking to be very sharp at the end, oten happens after installing a new pad. Usually what we would do is wear it down a little with sand paper so it's not as grippy.

Edited by YNM

On 12/15/2018 at 9:43 PM, LordFerret said:

@TheSaint

Just recently got Fios installed here.  It's ok, pretty fast.  It's got like 100 channels of music alone, something called Music Choice.  However, I discovered the set-top-box loads up the Music Choice app after you've selected an initial channel.  I was finding the music would 'burp' every 15 to 20 minutes (a dropout of sorts).  Very annoying.  It's their app that causes the problem.  The solution is to immediately escape out of the app and just let the channel play through live tv.  Hours upon hours of bliss without burps. :cool:

Anyway, that's not why I've come to post here tonight.....

Ran into an issue with my wife's MacBook Pro.  Safari decided to go on safari - it went belly up, repeatedly.  I reloaded her OS which worked for the evening, but then again today it went belly up again.  I did run across a reason and easy solution just this evening.  Problem seems to be solved.

Anyone else facing a similar issue should take a read here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/345678/how-to-solve-blank-safari-window-safari-crash-10-1-2

Replace it with Firefox and change the icon so she can't tell. Bing bam magic.