Jump to content

So what song is stuck in your head today?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, PigeonThePilot said:

The song Erika (Auf der heide bluht ein kleines blumelein) sung by the Wehrmacht in 1940's. I've seen the lyrics and it actually sounds quite nice I guess. 

I dont support Fascists by the way

Soldiers sing many songs and it's unfortunate (but understandable) some get attached to rather unpleasant politics.

Some even get appropriated.  For example, "Horst-Wessel-Lied", the pedant Party Anthem, took its melody from an Imperial German Navy song of World War 1, so good luck singing the original without being linked to its odious descendant.

And much like military uniforms, they get inherited across nations, because, like "Erika", they speak to the common experience of the life of the soldier.   Lale Anderson's recording of "Lili Marleen" was broadcasted by the Wehrmacht-controlled Radio Belgrade and was appreciated by all in arms on all sides who heard it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jacke said:

Soldiers sing many songs and it's unfortunate (but understandable) some get attached to rather unpleasant politics.

Some even get appropriated.  For example, "Horst-Wessel-Lied", the pedant Party Anthem, took its melody from an Imperial German Navy song of World War 1, so good luck singing the original without being linked to its odious descendant.

And much like military uniforms, they get inherited across nations, because, like "Erika", they speak to the common experience of the life of the soldier.   Lale Anderson's recording of "Lili Marleen" was broadcasted by the Wehrmacht-controlled Radio Belgrade and was appreciated by all in arms on all sides who heard it.

O_O ok ill be careful on singing some songs

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Now the song is turning circles running 'round my brain... :confused:

Like @TheSaint, this phrase brought to mind a different song from my dark past.  One with quite a interesting history.

 

34 minutes ago, PigeonThePilot said:

O_O ok ill be careful on singing some songs

Songs like many human creations can be double-edge items that cut both ways.  It's up to us to make sure things stay positive, because all too often there are those who will take things negative.

I like "Erika".  And many years ago learned a contemporary tune that unfortunately is still slightly entangled with its early history.  Such is the nature of soldiers' culture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 2:03 AM, PigeonThePilot said:

The song Erika (Auf der heide bluht ein kleines blumelein) sung by the Wehrmacht in 1940's. I've seen the lyrics and it actually sounds quite nice I guess. 

I dont support Fascists by the way

yeah it's a good earworm

BUM BUM BUM

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hüsker Dü's "Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely". It's great all around, one of my favourite songs, and I'm trying to learn the guitar, drum, and bass parts currently for a cover.

 

 

Edited by Kernel Kraken
Edited to embed it.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...