SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, tater said:

The lack of a static fire is interesting.

I imagine the conversation going something like this...

Elon: Why are we still doing static fires?

A: Because we've always done them.....?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5Up17rvILBuI89N28he4

E: As I recall after yet another Boca Chica test "anomaly," if Musk gives the go-ahead, it's all good. Otherwise, you got some 'splainin' to do...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Maybe they've been doing them because they want the launch team to have more experience—which they can get via just launching.

Wonder what the cost of a static fire (launch) campaign is...

48 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I imagine the conversation going something like this...

Elon: Why are we still doing static fires?

A: Because we've always done them.....?

I think this is the likeliest explanation. “Best part is no part, best process is no process”, etc.

IIRC, the fact that SpaceX does static fires on the pad at all is unusual, ULA et al really don’t. It’s also quite arguable that, at this point, from the sheer amount of cumulative runtime they know their engine better than anyone else in the biz (‘cept maybe the Russians), and they know each individual engine better than anyone once they’ve been flown. They probably have a great big spreadsheet of the various foibles of each engine, maybe the past performance of this particular batch (plus the experience of the whole) is good enough that there’s nothing really to be learned/validated from a static fire.

Or maybe they’re just in a hurry. :/

Which seems less likely, since on this launch they actually have paying (non-Starlink) customers...

37 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I think this is the likeliest explanation. “Best part is no part, best process is no process”, etc.

Reducing part count and adding simplicity is absolutely standard engineering common wisdom.

But I really hope you guys are wrong about thinking that whatever Elon says is what goes, particularly about safety processes. That's just not a good idea. Not because it's Musk, but because it's just not good practice to have anybody with other priorities (and you know he has other priorities) to have the ability to set aside safety processes at a whim.

Now I'm not saying this static fire thing is necessary. Many other companies don't seem to think it is. Maybe SpaceX carefully evaluated their data and decided they no longer need it. Or that it doesn't add value in certain circumstances. Or whatever. It's just that the attitude I'm seeing here is surprisingly complacent. I know we're all a bunch of space gamers rather than actual SpaceX employees, so I'm assuming complacency here is meaningless. But wow, I've seen so many people be hyper critical about safety issues outside of SpaceX, but suddenly people are totally cool with the idea that any whim of Elon must be OK.

33 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Reducing part count and adding simplicity is absolutely standard engineering common wisdom.

But I really hope you guys are wrong about thinking that whatever Elon says is what goes, particularly about safety processes. That's just not a good idea. Not because it's Musk, but because it's just not good practice to have anybody with other priorities (and you know he has other priorities) to have the ability to set aside safety processes at a whim.

Now I'm not saying this static fire thing is necessary. Many other companies don't seem to think it is. Maybe SpaceX carefully evaluated their data and decided they no longer need it. Or that it doesn't add value in certain circumstances. Or whatever. It's just that the attitude I'm seeing here is surprisingly complacent. I know we're all a bunch of space gamers rather than actual SpaceX employees, so I'm assuming complacency here is meaningless. But wow, I've seen so many people be hyper critical about safety issues outside of SpaceX, but suddenly people are totally cool with the idea that any whim of Elon must be OK.

Oh, I’m sure they thought this through and found good reasons to skip static fire. I didn’t mean that literally Elon just decided to cancel the whole thing because he thinks it’s a good idea, it most likely was a collective decision. I was just attributing it to that specific design philosophy that Elon and, possibly, other engineers at SpaceX have.

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

The usual answer to "static fires" of the short duration we see before launches (from people like Tory Bruno) has been that all launches have static fires—it's the bit before they let go of the launch clamps and/or light the SRMs.

If there is a problem on engine startup, you turn them off, and go to space another day.

I'm not seeing a safety issue at all here. There is no difference between a launch campaign and a static fire campaign at all. The vehicle is completely tanked and pressed for both. That means the safety risk of a static fire is identical to the risk for a launch. The only difference is if there is a valuable payload (read: customer payload) on top.

For SpaceX, part of it was likely gathering data, and training their teams. The FL people are getting paid if they launch or not, might as well practice, and the reused boosters are obviously a new thing that needs more data gathered (are there any patterns of issues with reflown boosters?). Once they get enough of that data, what's the point of a static fire vs an abort at T+4 seconds?

On a new booster, I bet they still do a static fire. On a flown booster, with a payload on top, seems like a waste of effort to me.

It will be interesting to see if they continue with static fires for customer payloads (minus S2 and payload). If the rocket is fully integrated it seems to me that risk is actually lower without.

Edited by tater

Several years ago.
"Wow! SpaceX is almost the only company doing static fires! How cool it is!"

Present days.
"Wow! SpaceX is almost going to stop doing static fires! How cool it is!"

Conclusion.
When SpaceX doesn't do something, it doesn't do this more perfectly that others.

That's not really fair. Space X have saved a lot of time and money in design and procurement doing static fires to validate engines rather than doing it in paperwork. It's therefore a good process.

But when you've validated the engines with three entire missions and all associated tests, there's maybe diminishing returns.

9 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

E: As I recall after yet another Boca Chica test "anomaly," if Musk gives the go-ahead, it's all good. Otherwise, you got some 'splainin' to do...

What Elon said is "If you think a decision/design is bad and you don't speak up, you're in trouble. If you've raised an issue with me and we go ahead, I will take responsibility if there's a problem."

That's not really the same thing as "anything Musk says goes" either.

Edited by RCgothic

4 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Is it just me or are those canards a different shape to the ones that were on Mk1?

Probably just the angle.

Seems like there was a comment from E a little while ago about a change, but I never saw a new design.

Falcon 9 in startup. Looking good.

And we have liftoff!

Successful staging.

Interesting ‘fireflies’ coming off the booster.

Must be the lighting, but I’ve never seen that before.

Very interesting view of heating of the rear of booster.

good entry burn.

Of Course I Sill Love You is in dawn light 

Ok, someone help me. If I'm in northwest Florida, and the skies are clear, would I be able to see Falcon's exhaust at higher altitudes? Was driving to work and saw what looked like aircraft landing lights or a helicopter spotlight (that looked like they were in cloud or fog), but didn't realize till now the skies are clear, no fog, and it was at the right time and direction for the launch. Saw a pic on Twitter of the exhaust dispersing after launch and realized it kinda looked like what I saw.

2 hours ago, Nightside said:

Was worried about all that fluid before the boostback, and what seemed like a lot of RCS firings, but I think it was just that sunrise lighting...

I was wondering/worrying the same thing.  It seemed like there were a lot of sparks (or particles of something) catching the light at regular intervals, coming off the engines.  Maybe some leftover ice or water after launch?  Or a slightly leaky valve letting a tiny bit of fuel or oxidizer out?

1 hour ago, zolotiyeruki said:

I was wondering/worrying the same thing.  It seemed like there were a lot of sparks (or particles of something) catching the light at regular intervals, coming off the engines.  Maybe some leftover ice or water after launch?  Or a slightly leaky valve letting a tiny bit of fuel or oxidizer out?

Yeah, although it wouldn’t surprise me if this was normal, just with dramatic, side lighting as stage1 peaked over the terminator.

Really cool to see it launch in night and land in the day.

This launch/landing is definitely worth watching for any of you not up in the middle of the night with a 3 week-old baby.

Edited by Nightside