SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

They should just put a normal SSVP-M docking adaptor on the Dragon.

Spoiler

fig4-1.jpg

Why keep showing off with the androgyny when they anyway use active/passive pairs of the IDSS, anyway don't pump fuel like the Progress can, and anyway don't pull CBM-sized cargo through the opening?

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

I am not a fan of when one of the world's richest people instructs his employees that they must work over a holiday weekend in order to save their jobs.

But besides that, it's been clear for some time now that Musk has been promising that Raptors will be built very quickly and at near-miraculous cost. This in order to support constant orbital launches of Starships. Which will be carrying, um, something? I guess?

Basically he created his own customer for Starship with Starlink. So the profitability of the whole venture comes down to whether people want to pay for Starlink. Guess we'll see.

Edited by mikegarrison

18 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I am not a fan of when one of the world's richest people instructs his employees that they must work over a holiday weekend in order to save their jobs.

But besides that, it's been clear for some time now that Musk has been promising that Raptors will be build very quickly and at near-miraculous cost. This in order to support constant orbital launches of Starships. Which will carrying, um, something? I guess?

Basically he created his own customer for Starship with Starlink. So the profitability of the whole venture comes down to whether people want to pay for Starlink. Guess we'll see.

The statistics of starlink are such that if he builds it, people WILL come. The problem lies in the vast gulf between "beginning construction" and "steady state profitability." And from the sound of it, the Ver2 Starlink sats were designed from the ground up for Starship's capability, are already gearing up for production... and the raptor manufacturing apparently isnt keeping up.

flight rate of at least once every two weeks

I have a strange feeling of deja-vu...

Never mind. Probably just may have seemed.

42 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

https://wccftech.com/spacex-laser-starlink-record-breaking-mission/

And the first Starlink generation lacks positioning lasers.

1 800 to be replaced?

https://www.aroged.com/2021/12/01/spacex-starlink-can-only-fully-develop-with-second-generation-satellites-but-they-need-starship-to-launch-them/

But they need Starship to do that?

30 VelociRaptors per Starship = 30 VelociRaptors per fortnight?

1620 per year? Oh, yeah...

Still sure that Von Braun knew better.

P.S.
About the 1620.
I forgot, since which flight the Starship is going to get reusable?

Edited by kerbiloid

45 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

But besides that, it's been clear for some time now that Musk has been promising that Raptors will be built very quickly and at near-miraculous cost. This in order to support constant orbital launches of Starships. Which will be carrying, um, something? I guess?

Agree, now he could sell off some Tesla stocks, that company is vastly overvalued, yes they make good electric cars but most car companies does today. 
And the obvious one rapid, launches require full reuse who don't use much engines. Yes you get losses and engines having to get refurbished or even scrapped. 

But I would be more concerned about the second launch pad then an superheavy takes out the first one. 
Or how to get an twice a week overflight of Texas to land Starship, yes you could use offshore facilities but they also need an tank farm and delivery systems and system for ground crew safety during launch and landings. 

1 minute ago, magnemoe said:

Agree, now he could sell off some Tesla stocks, that company is vastly overvalued, yes they make good electric cars but most car companies does today. 
And the obvious one rapid, launches require full reuse who don't use much engines. Yes you get losses and engines having to get refurbished or even scrapped. 

But I would be more concerned about the second launch pad then an superheavy takes out the first one. 
Or how to get an twice a week overflight of Texas to land Starship, yes you could use offshore facilities but they also need an tank farm and delivery systems and system for ground crew safety during launch and landings. 

I thought the long-range plan was in fact to use those oil rigs they bought as launch/landing platforms.

10 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Ummm... Have you been to Texas?

(You can blow stuff up there for fun!)

You say this, although I know a person who was arrested in Texas (and confined and discharged from the military as a result) because he had a homemade bomb in the trunk of his car that he had intended to take out into some open area and blow up for fun. (This was late 80s.)

22 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

They just asked "How much stuff can you blow up in South Texas, before people start getting grumpy about it"

Ummm... Have you been to Texas?

(You can blow stuff up there for fun!)

As someone from Central Texas, I can confirm that this statement is in fact correct.