SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

35 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

Tbh even 50t to LEO with full reusability is a win imo

Yes it makes any other rocket obsolete the way usb flash sticks made diskettes obsolete. 
Its not an fight its an massacre. Yes systems will survive because major powers don't want the US and SpaceX to agree to launch their military birds. 
Blue origin has an option to make an heavier and reusable upper stage. 

Back then UK got the message of the fight between Merrimack and monitor one UK admiral replied, yesterday we has 200 ship of the line, today we has 2. 
No it was not true, steam engines back then was not able to traverse oceans, but the rules had changed again. 
Real world has calvinball rules. 

Is the wall we see around the engines the outer hull or do you think there is another layer beyond that? If this is the outer hull i dont see how they want to fit legs in there, maybe they will be added to the outside.

1 minute ago, StrandedonEarth said:

All hidden under the skirt. I must say the mounting looks... minimalistic? And no flak jackets: if one goes RUD, they’re probably all toast...

It's a test fit, the pipes are not hooked up.

2 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Is the wall we see around the engines the outer hull or do you think there is another layer beyond that? If this is the outer hull i dont see how they want to fit legs in there, maybe they will be added to the outside.

Nope. That's it, I think. the internal bracing, and the skin.

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

All hidden under the skirt. I must say the mounting looks... minimalistic? And no flak jackets: if one goes RUD, they’re probably all toast...

Reacted on that too, also the skirt has lots of bracing. I expected it to be an massive octaweb style structure in there and the skirt being for aerodynamic and protection only. 
However I would expected bracing inside the tanks as its load bearing structures Yes something has to be load bearing then starship is on top of superheavy but did not expect that to be the skirt. 

Still its an upskirt shots on an starship and skirts can hold lots of secrets. A fat lady with an long skirt was arrested for pinching TV's. She assumed nobody was watching for pinches at the tv section, she was mostly right.