Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

Roscosmos will refuse to launch OneWeb unless assured OneWeb will not also be used for military purposes.

I doubt this assurance can be given, so the OneWeb contract with Roscosmos is effectively dead.

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

Roscosmos will refuse to launch OneWeb unless assured OneWeb will not also be used for military purposes.

I doubt this assurance can be given, so the OneWeb contract with Roscosmos is effectively dead.

This sounds like a "You can't fire me, I quit!" moment

10 minutes ago, DDE said:

This sounds like a "You can't fire me, I quit!" moment

Yeah, a couple days ago there were various people reporting that this would have been the last Oneweb launch on Soyuz and only because they had already paid for it fully

39 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Q: Does the Roscosmos MCC have control over recon satellites?

This is a purely technical question.

No, the old military MCC in Krasnoznamensk (the 721st Center) does. There's some messy arrangement between the Aerospace Force, the directly-subordinated GRU, and even the Navy with its significant interest in maritime ELINT.

16 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

And now about Proton...

couldn't they just use FH?

[snip]

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

8 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Or Ariane V, or even Vulcan or Ariane VI. All are some pretty good options

they could also use the Japanese H3 Heavy (expected to fly in 2030), or the ISRO's HLV or SHLV.

Some content has been redacted and/or removed.

Another gentle reminder folks, please do not discuss political matters on the forums.  It's fine to talk in simple technical terms about who's launching what, or who plans to launch (or not launch) what.  Please avoid discussions of the political reasons why that might be the case.  This includes, for example, speculation (or quotes from officials) about who is hostile to whom, etc.

8 hours ago, Snark said:

Some content has been redacted and/or removed.

Another gentle reminder folks, please do not discuss political matters on the forums.  It's fine to talk in simple technical terms about who's launching what, or who plans to launch (or not launch) what.  Please avoid discussions of the political reasons why that might be the case.  This includes, for example, speculation (or quotes from officials) about who is hostile to whom, etc.

According to semi-tabloidal sources, the US-Russian-UAE crew of the SIRIUS-21 Moon mission analogue is not supposed to receive any news - including about [redacted] - from the outside world until July.

[snip]

An example to emulate?

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

12 minutes ago, DDE said:

According to semi-tabloidal sources, the US-Russian-UAE crew of the SIRIUS-21 Moon mission analogue is not supposed to receive any news - including about [redacted] - from the outside world until July.

[snip]

An example to emulate?

I mean, why? I can't imagine any scenario where a mission on the moon can't communicate with earth for months, considering how long an emergency return would take

More content has been removed.

To be clear, when we say "please don't discuss political topics", that also includes links to articles discussing political topics.

Also, please don't link to foreign-language articles without providing English translations.

Thank you for your understanding.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:33 AM, RCgothic said:

UK minister confirms there will be no negotiation on this point:Roscosmos aren't launching any more OneWeb sats.

One web is now looking for alternative launch providers from the US, India and Japan, but still intends to get launches contracted from Ariane, not sure how long it will take for the various providers to have launch capacity available though

https://spacenews.com/with-soyuz-off-the-table-oneweb-back-in-the-mix/

Oneweb launch stack is being slowly dis-integrated over the course of several days, and the satellites will be left at Baikonur under figurative lock-and-key.

There's a whole bunch of various... grabby proposals regarding the property of companies exiting the Russian market being floated around. Those OneWeb satellites may well end up flying on the Soyuz after a forceful change of ownership.

Edit: looked up "OOO Uanveb" (no, really, this is their listed English variant of company name). Reshetnev's SS Gonets has a controlling interest since February 2019, and the Ru Wiki notes they were on the cusp of build another 12.5% from the British to acquire full access to technival documentation. This could be an interesting divorse.

Edited by DDE

30 minutes ago, DDE said:

Rogozin: continued hostility against Russia will lead to the new orbital station having an 'applied military mission', thus barring any possibility of international cooperation

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/5258307

Predicting @kerbiloid's reaction: "Ah, so we're back to where Mir began from"

As always, one can't fault Rogozin's optimism, at least.