Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

Some content has been removed from this thread.

Political discussion on the forum almost always leads to unpleasantness.  Not to mention anger, flamewars, and thread locks.
That is why we don't allow political content on the forum.

Thank you for your understanding,
Forum moderation team

6 hours ago, Beccab said:

I think it is way too early to tell what will happen. There is a lot of hysteria, on par with that of 1947, going around.

The ILRS is still a thing. At the very least, perhaps in the coming months and years we might see deeper Sino-Russian cooperation for the new Luna probes.

If you were in 1993, the dream of a NASA space station looked dead. Congress was hostile to it; in June of that year in nearly got completely cancelled had it not been for one vote in the House of Representatives. We can't predict what will happen, certainly not a mere two days after the event that set this series of actions into motion.

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Rogozin also threatened to deorbit ISS... 

I don't think he threatened so much as he reminded the US to be careful of what it does.

If a crew mutinies aboard a nuclear powered ice breaker that is having reactor issues, and they threaten to kill the engineers aboard, them reminding them that if they do, they will all die, isn't a threat- it is a fact.

This is the vibe that I got from the release of the statement on TASS. I myself was pretty shocked when specific reference to "their space program" was made during the announcement.

To put it into perspective, if the situation was reversed, NASA's statements would not be seen as a threat, they would be seen as an appeal to not harm the space station's operations.

3 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I think it is way too early to tell what will happen. There is a lot of hysteria, on par with that of 1947, going around.

The ILRS is still a thing. At the very least, perhaps in the coming months and years we might see deeper Sino-Russian cooperation for the new Luna probes.

If you were in 1993, the dream of a NASA space station looked dead. Congress was hostile to it; in June of that year in nearly got completely cancelled had it not been for one vote in the House of Representatives. We can't predict what will happen, certainly not a mere two days after the event that set this series of actions into motion.

I don't think he threatened so much as he reminded the US to be careful of what it does.

If a crew mutinies aboard a nuclear powered ice breaker that is having reactor issues, and they threaten to kill the engineers aboard, them reminding them that if they do, they will all die, isn't a threat- it is a fact.

This is the vibe that I got from the release of the statement on TASS. I myself was pretty shocked when specific reference to "their space program" was made during the announcement.

To put it into perspective, if the situation was reversed, NASA's statements would not be seen as a threat, they would be seen as an appeal to not harm the space station's operations.

For one I am sure that NASA's statement wouldn't be in the usual tone Rogozin puts in his tweets of a teenager throwing a tantrum

Friends and foes flip every 30 years.

By 2050 (when the lunar basing will become a thing, and the first ITER fruits will appear)  Rogozin (or his colleagues) will cut a red band of honor together with NASA counterparts, opening something.

military spacecraft will have priority over civilian (my translation: forget about any new application or science spacecraft this decade)

Just the military-applied science will have a priority, and a double-purpose research equipment.

Hubble is a overturned spysat, iirc.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

For one I am sure that NASA's statement wouldn't be in the usual tone Rogozin puts in his tweets of a teenager throwing a tantrum

Yes, but there is a difference between being angry at something and threatening something.

30 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And so it begins… :/

I wonder what this means for the proposal to launch Soyuz (the crewed spacecraft) from Guiana Space Center.

15 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I wonder what this means for the proposal to launch Soyuz (the crewed spacecraft) from Guiana Space Center.

That was always very unlikely to happen, I'm more curious about Exomars personally. Iirc, the launch campaign begins in a couple weeks

Lots of content removed, due to getting side-tracked into politics.

Folks, we understand that this is a fraught topic, given events going on these days.  But please remember that politics are out of bounds for the forums.

Yes, it can be difficult to avoid politics when discussing any particular nation's space program, since space programs are heavily government-funded and government-directed, and those funds and directions are typically politically motivated.  However, be that as it may, please avoid the political side of things as much as possible.

For example, it's generally okay to state that such-and-such mission was launched, or this is what the status is, or that sort of thing; that's not politics per se.

But if you get into why that was done, you are on pretty thin ice-- e.g. asserting that it's a decision based on <something political>, that's over the line.  Arguing about the involvement of the military, national ambitions, which politicians are likely to do what in response to what other actions; politics, too.

Let's please try to be careful, okay?  Thank you for your understanding.