Under used parts

Kerbal pancake

18 hours ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

verniers I use once a few decades

I'm the opposite. Ever since Verniers were introduced, I've stopped using regular RCS.

14 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

I absolutely love the micronode. It's an extremely useful part. Especially for attaching struts at right-angles.

Oh there's another one. I never use struts anymore, ever since autostruts were introduced.

I don't think I can point to any specific part that I intentionally avoid, but the majority of the aircraft parts get very little use by me simply because I spend the vast majority of my time in the VAB and on the launch pad... never having (yet) mastered aircraft landings.  It's on the to-do list, but it's not near the top.  In my current campaign, I'm not even researching any of the aircraft-specific techs from 45 points on up till last, and the only reason I've upgraded the runway a level is for aesthetics...

10 minutes ago, Talmor said:

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I just wanted to know if there is a way to remove parts from the game that you don't use . I downloaded a mod that i only use 2 or 3 parts in. If it can be done could someone please explain in detail?

Hello, and welcome to the forums!  :)

It's pretty easy to do.  If it's a mod you've installed, just go into the mod's folder and delete the .cfg file for any part you don't want.  Presto, gone.

Doing it that way is simple, but also rather "brittle", in that if you ever update to a newer version of the mod, you'll need to go and manually re-delete stuff each time.  Another way is to install another mod called ModuleManager, then write your own .cfg file in ModuleManager syntax that deletes the parts you don't want.  That requires hacking around in a computer syntax, so it's more work (and may not be fun for a person who's not technically minded), but does have the benefit that it's "stable" (i.e. if you update to a new mod version, your patch will get applied to the new version, too.)  Not going into details here because this is kind of getting off the topic of this thread, but feel free to post questions in the Add-on Discussions forum if you'd like to talk more about the subject.

15 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'm the opposite. Ever since Verniers were introduced, I've stopped using regular RCS.

Oh there's another one. I never use struts anymore, ever since autostruts were introduced.

My problem with Verniers is that attatched radially, SAS seems to like putting my crafts into a spin aiming anywhere

4 hours ago, Snark said:

Hello, and welcome to the forums!  :)

It's pretty easy to do.  If it's a mod you've installed, just go into the mod's folder and delete the .cfg file for any part you don't want.  Presto, gone.

Doing it that way is simple, but also rather "brittle", in that if you ever update to a newer version of the mod, you'll need to go and manually re-delete stuff each time.  Another way is to install another mod called ModuleManager, then write your own .cfg file in ModuleManager syntax that deletes the parts you don't want.  That requires hacking around in a computer syntax, so it's more work (and may not be fun for a person who's not technically minded), but does have the benefit that it's "stable" (i.e. if you update to a new mod version, your patch will get applied to the new version, too.)  Not going into details here because this is kind of getting off the topic of this thread, but feel free to post questions in the Add-on Discussions forum if you'd like to talk more about the subject.

What about CKAN?

16 hours ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

I don't think I can point to any specific part that I intentionally avoid, but the majority of the aircraft parts get very little use by me simply because I spend the vast majority of my time in the VAB and on the launch pad... never having (yet) mastered aircraft landings.  It's on the to-do list, but it's not near the top.  In my current campaign, I'm not even researching any of the aircraft-specific techs from 45 points on up till last, and the only reason I've upgraded the runway a level is for aesthetics...

The trick to landing airplanes is to put a bunch of parachutes on them.

44 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

Pfft, planes are both easy to build, and to land. Orbital rendezvous, that's a nightmare

Orbital rendezvous is incredibly easy once you know how to do it properly. That mostly just comes with experience, and an understanding of how to do the maneuvers efficiently.

As for what parts I don't use, I actually use just about all the parts (though there's probably one or two in the various mods I have installed that i don't get much use out of) but I probably get the least use out of the Goliath engine and the monopropellant engine. The former because I don't usually build planes which require such an engine, and the latter because I don't particularly like how it looks and so I often struggle to find a place where it looks acceptable.

Just now, eloquentJane said:

Orbital rendezvous is incredibly easy once you know how to do it properly. That mostly just comes with experience, and an understanding of how to do the maneuvers efficiently.

As for what parts I don't use, I actually use just about all the parts (though there's probably one or two in the various mods I have installed that i don't get much use out of) but I probably get the least use out of the Goliath engine and the monopropellant engine. The former because I don't usually build planes which require such an engine, and the latter because I don't particularly like how it looks and so I often struggle to find a place where it looks acceptable.

I have failed the Docking tutorial maybe 20 times now? I can't seem to slow down in time without throwing off my orbit

Meanwhile I'm baffled by people who can't instinctually build a working plany by sight [as in without the CoM/CoL markers] Then again, I guess I just have more experience there

3 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

I have failed the Docking tutorial maybe 20 times now? I can't seem to slow down in time without throwing off my orbit

Meanwhile I'm baffled by people who can't instinctually build a working plany by sight [as in without the CoM/CoL markers] Then again, I guess I just have more experience there

We are literal polar opposites when it comes to this. I can rendezvous without maneuver nodes and dock without RCS, but even with all the aids in the SPH I can't build a plane worth taking further than the island runway.

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

We are literal polar opposites when it comes to this. I can rendezvous without maneuver nodes and dock without RCS, but even with all the aids in the SPH I can't build a plane worth taking further than the island runway.

Wow. I guess we just spent our time in different things...maybe we can help eachother?

1 minute ago, RedPandaz said:

Wow. I guess we just spent our time in different things...maybe we can help eachother?

Sadly I'm not really playing much any more. Lots of real life and other games taking up my Kerbal time. Also, part of my plane problem is I don't really want to fly planes, except maybe on Laythe, Duna, and maybe Eve.

15 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

11 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Ah, the differences between rocket guys and spaceplane guys. Somebody should write a paper on it.

Rocket guy all the way here. "Wings" was a show in the 90's.

Structural parts (except the struts, the adapters and the launch clamps), Mark 3 parts, Mark 2 rocket fuel tanks, the largest RGU, the Stayputnik, the 1.25M lander can, the 3.5M and the 0.625M heat shields, the torododial (i think that this is the right name) and the xenon tanks, the ore tanks, the Vector, the Rhino, the Ant, the Reliant, the LV-N, the Ion and the aerospike engines, the vermors, the smallest reaction wheel, the biggest decouplers, all the separators, the smallest and the biggest docking ports, the 3.5M farning, almost all the cargo bays, some aerodinamic parts, like some elevons and delta wings, the fuel cells, the unretractable solar panels, the best antennas and the relay antennas (i'm too lazy to make a complete relay network, so i disable the Commnet in the settings), the narrow-band scanners, the mining parts, the ISRU's, the biggest rover wheel, the biggest landing gears, the biggest landing legs, the crew cabins and the 1.25M drouge chute.

Sorry for the long text.

Edited by Jeb, The Lonely Kerbonaut

I find the LV-N "Nerv" Atomic Rocket Motor rather useful when moving asteroids around.

The part I never seem to use is the M4435 Narrow-Band Scanner. The M700 Survey Scanner is usually good enough, but I will often land a rover with a Surface Scanning Module to find the best place to land.

Quite a few parts I almost never use:

- Wheesley jet engine 

- Structural pylon

- Not-rockomax micronode 

- Giant radiator arrays (except for that one probe I sent to Ernus from New Horizons the other day, upgraded from smaller arrays along with a bigger heat shield after the last one couldn’t take the heat... RIP) 

- Drill o matic Jr. (tiny drills) 

- Stayputnik

- Mk2 lander can... just.. so.. ugly.

If something is sturdy or reinforced it is internal construction that keeps it from collapsing like a house of cards. That is how I make my rockets. Is it not strong enough? I redesign the stages or I use autostrut. That stupid strut part adds to parts, is very draggy and your craft still wobbles. I also got the feeling I'm building a cable bridge rather then a rocket when I go nuts using the strut part, because obviously I had to back in the day.
20140531195906%21Strut_connector.pngNo Struts for me.
Image result for fuel duct ksp small imageThis part also behaves odd. 

The width of this duct is probably wide enough for 1 person to live underwater but straw like enough to suffocate a whole family submerged 3 feet under.

Apparently it plumbs several hundred units of LF/O per second, probably up to infinite amounts. That while in real life it's not possible to plumb fuel between several stages (yet), no mind at the rate some engine setups can consume fuel in KSP. Realistically you'd need a hose for the cryogenic oxygen separately from the rocket propellant. 

Because of this I set myself the rule to not asparagus stage ever, even on Eve where you don't necessarily require this. Although I'm sure to make the exception there if I were to do a challenge in that area, but otherwise no fuel ducts will be used in my gameplay.
I still use parallel staging. I just add MOAR engines to the necessary stages and limit thrust on some stages while activating new ones (if necessary) when dropping the spent ones. When you do it right it is only less efficient then asparagus to a minimal degree. Asparagus staging is only worth so much and really diminishes ultimately.

Edited by Helmetman

I hardly even TRIED the Ion engine and found it way too weak for it to be of any good use to me. Even sending a rover to Duna atop a NERV was a pain in the butt, and as some said before, I'm not gonna sit through hour-long burns just to be efficient! If time warp was possible with engines powering I would probably use it as one of my primary engines, but not the way things work now!

Is there a mod that changes that by any chance? Oh, and said mod should be available for 1.0.2 aswell.

Edited by DualDesertEagle

1 minute ago, DualDesertEagle said:

I hardly even TRIED the Ion engine and found it way too weak for it to be of any good use to me. Even sending a rover to Duna atop a NERV was a pain in the butt, and as some said before, I'm not gonna sit through hour-long burns just to be efficient! If time warp was possible with engines powering I would probably use it as one of my primary engines, but not the way things work now!

Is there a mod that changes that by any chance? Oh, and said mod should be available for 1.0.2 aswell.

Yeah, its called the stock game. If you hold down the modifier key while going into timewarp, it places you into physics warp where engine burning IS possible. That only goes up to 4x though. There's BetterTimewarp which increases that, but that's only for 1.0.5 and above...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.