Air Superiority Fighter Competition

Ok, so Be Gentle won via Monstron crashing too much. Monstron will no longer be competing, but will keep honorable mention title. Next is Be Gentle vs. Fighter 2.

Also, @dundun93, that's 2 (technically 6, since I run three rounds per matchup) because Bryntröll vs. Fighter 2 and Monstron vs. Be Gentle.

18 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Ok, so Be Gentle won via Monstron crashing too much. Monstron will no longer be competing, but will keep honorable mention title. Next is Be Gentle vs. Fighter 2.

Also, @dundun93, that's 2 (technically 6, since I run three rounds per matchup) because Bryntröll vs. Fighter 2 and Monstron vs. Be Gentle.

20 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

@dundun93 said he is satisfied now. (At least that argument is over!)

Hm, I've been thinking a bit on the Volta again and was curious - is the AI good enough to take into consideration it's supermaneuverability? I fear that the AI wouldn't know properly how to use it's stall and/or in air flip mechanics to their full ability, I.E. if an enemy fighter is on your tail you can do a quick flip and fire a volley backwards before continuing or point perpendicular to the airflow to completely stop forwards motion and start tailing them. Make sense?

20 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Good

Better post a video for proof if you can

14 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hm, I've been thinking a bit on the Volta again and was curious - is the AI good enough to take into consideration it's supermaneuverability?

All is possible with tuning. You can set control surface authority low enough for the AI to turn at the tightest possible setting without "losing" the prograde vector, which is what happens when you "stall" in KSP.

What you're describing is not maneuverability but instability, in which your nose doesn't point towards the direction you're moving in, and thus moves far away from prograde. The AI can do that, but it will then mostly lose control as most planes are unstable after losing their prograde node.

1 hour ago, exbyde said:

Are we using 1.3.1 for this? If so, is there a version of BDA compatible with it? can't get BDA to run at all.

Yes, 1.3.1, and working BDA found here.

Anyone know how to make an actual video show up, and not just the link? (Video not on Youtube)

7 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

What you're describing is not maneuverability but instability, in which your nose doesn't point towards the direction you're moving in, and thus moves far away from prograde. The AI can do that, but it will then mostly lose control as most planes are unstable after losing their prograde node.

Yeah, part of what makes the Volta unique is that it doesn't lose stability after stalling - that's what I'm curious if the AI can accommodate.

4 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Yeah, part of what makes the Volta unique is that it doesn't lose stability after stalling

So does mine, but the AI will still spazz out after stalling, since the plane usually goes below its minimal combat speed. Plus, in real combat, your plane would be very vulnerable with almost 0 energy left after a stall, so it's kind of stupid to rely on that for combat.

21 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

So does mine, but the AI will still spazz out after stalling, since the plane usually goes below its minimal combat speed. Plus, in real combat, your plane would be very vulnerable with almost 0 energy left after a stall, so it's kind of stupid to rely on that for combat.

I could set min. combat speed to 0 m/s. Also, I'm going to arm it with some 50 cal. turrets, 2 PAC-3 missiles, and 6 AIM-120 missiles. Putting on a radar might be a problem though.

1 hour ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

I could set min. combat speed to 0 m/s. Also, I'm going to arm it with some 50 cal. turrets, 2 PAC-3 missiles, and 6 AIM-120 missiles. Putting on a radar might be a problem though.

I still wouldn't rely on that, since another enemy plane could just fly in and fire at a almost static target.

As for turrets, idk if they should be allowed... Turrets kind of beat the purpose of having maneuverable planes since you don't need to get your guns on target and just let the turrets do the whole job. If they were allowed you could just cover a big plane in turrets and watch it shoot planes down.

1 hour ago, NotAnAimbot said:

I still wouldn't rely on that, since another enemy plane could just fly in and fire at a almost static target.

As for turrets, idk if they should be allowed... Turrets kind of beat the purpose of having maneuverable planes since you don't need to get your guns on target and just let the turrets do the whole job. If they were allowed you could just cover a big plane in turrets and watch it shoot planes down.

Only 50cal. turrets are allowed, since they are not that powerful. Also,  the Volta XV Spear is a smaller plane that is mostly lifting surfaces, so there is not a lot of space for static machine guns.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.