Air Superiority Fighter Competition

3 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

My Mig-29 is not that maneuverable, but I did use whiplash ramjets, so...

So it will be great at closing the missile gap, and horse apples at anything else? Dont see why people are using whiplashes here. Weighs more (3 panthers=2 whiplashes) uses more fuel and has a higher thrust multiplier peak velocity (takes longer to accelerate once in the air). And thrust vectoring!

2 hours ago, l0kki said:

https://kerbalx.com/l0kki/WunderWaffle-III-Ausf-G

Finally (assuming you already didnt already get it)

Looks like a step in a good direction, ill test it against the sann tonight.

Edited by exbyde

49 minutes ago, exbyde said:

it will be great at closing the missile gap, and horse apples at anything else? Dont see why people are using whiplashes here. Weighs more (3 panthers=2 whiplashes) uses more fuel and has a higher thrust multiplier peak velocity (takes longer to accelerate once in the air). And thrust vectoring!

I know, but I do have a plan to increase maneuverability.

12 minutes ago, l0kki said:

kills came mostly with guns since missiles almost never hit on either side

Great.

1 minute ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

I know, but I do have a plan to increase maneuverability.

Is it converting to a mig-29m?

Fly five minutes full throttle/burners and note fuel used. Get rid of anything else. Will help a lot. Most fights from 15k are under or at 3min, and aircraft reduce throttle to hold around 120m/s on the way out (no burners usually)

Edited by exbyde

31 minutes ago, drtricky said:

@FleshJeb I was saying standards are different. Even though my AB-17 Moses has 64 50 cal turrets and two missile turrets, I consider it somewhat underarmed. :D

To be fair your moses wasnt cut out for knocking out missiles.

2 minutes ago, exbyde said:

To be fair your moses wasnt cut out for knocking out missiles.

I've noticed issues with targeting for missiles in general. I have a version of my moses with 14 laser pods on it, and although it did use them against missiles, it couldn't shoot them down because it just wasn't pointing the lasers at the missiles.

21 minutes ago, drtricky said:

I've noticed issues with targeting for missiles in general. I have a version of my moses with 14 laser pods on it, and although it did use them against missiles, it couldn't shoot them down because it just wasn't pointing the lasers at the missiles.

That may not be the worst thing. A flying CIWS system would be OP AF

1 hour ago, l0kki said:

nope

Actually, did the homework for you. Full afterburner consumption at sea level topped around 350 and consumed 460 units of fuel, so you can reduce exactly half of the fuel in your aircraft without an issue. Roll rate is a little lackluster at lower speeds, but easily fixed with a change in control surfaces on the tail/moving the AIM-120s in towards the fuselage. Stall's very low, which is great, pitch is very responsive, and yaw's there.

42 minutes ago, exbyde said:

That may not be the worst thing. A flying CIWS system would be OP AF

If I put fourteen laser pods and four goalkeepers on a plane I at least want them to be able to shoot down missiles, even if the shoot-down rate has to be nerfed. The problem here is that it isn't able to shoot down missiles at all because of targeting aiming problems, not power problems.

Edited by drtricky

And now, since we're here, lets blow up some airplanes. On the one side we have the newcomer, the WunderWaffle III AuSF G, a plane that's seen significant improovement through several iterations from newcomer @l0kki. On the other, we have the Sanngrior, a low-profile design from @Thor Wotansen, our former number 2 aircraft. 

The first battle was a pretty good brawl. As the aircraft shot through the missile gap, they engaged. The Sanns got a first kill with a missile to the Waffle's tail.  However, the Waffle got right to work, knocking down Sanns with their vulcan cannons. In the end, it was a duel between one sann and one waffle, ending in the more maneuverable sann cutting the waffle to bits.

In the second battle, the Sanns were mercilous, ripping the Waffles apart. The waffles proved quite survivable, with an aircraft continuing to fight after losing about a third of the wing area on one wing.

While the Luftwaffle may have lost against the sann, its still shown impressive results against a very refined design. Will be interesting to see the H revision.

26 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Actually, did the homework for you. Full afterburner consumption at sea level topped around 350 and consumed 460 units of fuel, so you can reduce exactly half of the fuel in your aircraft without an issue. Roll rate is a little lackluster at lower speeds, but easily fixed with a change in control surfaces on the tail/moving the AIM-120s in towards the fuselage. Stall's very low, which is great, pitch is very responsive, and yaw's there.

I actually tested that against a full WunderWaffel III and it was getting hit by missiles alot more

Just now, exbyde said:

So as it stands, here is the roster:
1. @drtricky's Flying Dorito
2. @Earthlinger's Berzerker Drones
3. @NotAnAimbot's F-25 Fencer
4. @Thor Wotansen's Bertroll Fighter
5. @Thor Wotansen's Sanngrior drone

So are the Berzerkers not being recalled?

@HeroBrian_333: " Beserker are no longer in combat, so f-25 may continue to advance "

(Can't use the quote function for this, since it's on a different page)

5 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

So are the Berzerkers not being recalled?

@HeroBrian_333: " Beserker are no longer in combat, so f-25 may continue to advance "

(Can't use the quote function for this, since it's on a different page)

No longer in combat does not mean never fought. Any aircraft that surpasses the Bertroll (#4) will automatically make 2nd place to fight dorito as the F-25 has been recalled by owner and the Bezerker is ineligible due to rule changes.

Edited by exbyde

14 minutes ago, l0kki said:

I actually tested that against a full WunderWaffel III and it was getting hit by missiles alot more

Shouldn't be. Did you pull the fuel from over the cg or from the front? Also, you need chaff dispensers, as all you have are flares.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.