Mods to help with a rover convoy (or train)

Laie

Hello,

for "realism" purposes I want to send at least two rovers, so that not everyone is doomed in case of an accident. I don''t want to make the same trip twice, though. Question now becomes, can I somehow link them up? Either physically by forming a train, or by autopilot to follow the leading vessel?

• Ordinary docking ports are too stiff, making turns difficult and looking silly if not dangerous when going over a bump or through a trench.
  • Dmagic flexible docking ports become just as stiff once connected.
  • the Feline Utilily bellows work well but are not suited to linking two otherwise independent cars.
  • KIS winches at minimal length give a lot of freedom and seem to be the least worst option so far. However, I'm not sure if I want to trust them for a lengthy road trip.

I'm aware of Bon Voyage and will probably use it... later. Proof of concept first.

Edited by Laie

1 hour ago, Laie said:

Ordinary docking ports are too stiff, making turns difficult and looking silly if not dangerous when going over a bump or through a trench.

Then instead of a docking port, use a klaw with the pivot unlocked to hook your rovers together.

1 hour ago, bewing said:

Then instead of a docking port, use a klaw with the pivot unlocked to hook your rovers together.

Ain't this a surefire way to summon the kraken? I distrust the KAS winches for similar reasons.

4 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Specifically the "Flexible docking ports"U9qPilL.png

Oh blast, these were the first I tried... I forgot to mention them. Once connected they're just as stiff as stock ports, maintaining whatever offset and angle was necessary to line them up  -- making a connection was never easier, but the outcome is hardly suitable for extended tours.

12 minutes ago, Laie said:

Oh blast, these were the first I tried... I forgot to mention them. Once connected they're just as stiff as stock ports, maintaining whatever offset and angle was necessary to line them up  -- making a connection was never easier, but the outcome is hardly suitable for extended tours.

Oh, do they? I never actually used them myself.

Is there a reason making a stock hinge is out of the question? Do you plan on time warping past x4 physical warp? Or are you just concerned about long term reliability?

Here's a rover I used recently with a fully articulated trailer to go visit the Far Mountains Monolith. Took me about 20 minutes to drive up there from the base where I landed. No issues.

36682D96A5688F129387AE635645DB6CE285A8A4

(The Kerbal actually rides on the trailer bit; I started calling it "the dog sled" Lol.)

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

6 minutes ago, Laie said:

Ain't this a surefire way to summon the kraken?

I have to assume you aren't using KSP version 1.0.X anymore? Klaws were completely fixed in version 1.1.0 and have never performed a Kraken summoning since then that I am aware of. And I use klaws a lot.

So no, I think you are living with some extremely obsolete info.

16 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Is there a reason making a stock hinge is out of the question? Do you plan on time warping past x4 physical warp? Or are you just concerned about long term reliability?

Frankly, I don't even know how *those* work.

I'd like to warp but a few test drives around KSC suggest that roving is unsafe at any speed: I've had a few cases of invisible bumps tossing my rover(s) into the air. At least, at 1x warp that's survivable more often than not. But it must be possible to fix / re-attach the connection in the field.

I would very much have control over the trailing vehicle at least to the degree that it uses it's own motors and brakes rather than being a burden on the tractor. If stock hinges rely on docking port magnetism, that's probably a no-no for me.

Given all the trouble I've had with links so far, a "follow me" autopilot seems ever more attractive the longer I think about it.

15 minutes ago, bewing said:

Klaws were completely fixed in version 1.1.0 and have never performed a Kraken summoning since then that I am aware of. And I use klaws a lot.

OK, I'll have a look. Didn't even consider them before. Thanks!

Edited by Laie

43 minutes ago, Laie said:

Frankly, I don't even know how *those* work.

I'd like to warp but a few test drives around KSC suggest that roving is unsafe at any speed: I've had a few cases of invisible bumps tossing my rover(s) into the air. At least, at 1x warp that's survivable more often than not. But it must be possible to fix / re-attach the connection in the field.

I would very much have control over the trailing vehicle at least to the degree that it uses it's own motors and brakes rather than being a burden on the tractor. If stock hinges rely on docking port magnetism, that's probably a no-no for me.

Given all the trouble I've had with links so far, a "follow me" autopilot seems ever more attractive the longer I think about it.

They don't work via docking port magnetism, although I suppose they could if you wanted? (It's an interesting concept anyways.)

You are more so "hooking the two vehicles together by building them inside of each other then detaching them on launch"

Here's a close up example under the spoiler if you are interested, but yeah; they aren't 100% reliable; and they fail instantly if you so much as push the time warp button (The parts involved just phase through each other). They are also typically non re-attachable but if you were clever you could build that functionality in.

Spoiler

D48AD31A3D8A93CAF8F83117E4DBE919078732AE

When the decoupler drops, the RCS ball which is part of the trailer is trapped by the Thermometers which are part of the Buggy. It is then free to rotate in there and be dragged along by the Buggy. All credit to @Majorjim! for the original Thermometer hinge concept.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

1 hour ago, Spricigo said:

Take a look at the burn together mod.

Mind. Blown.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Never mind the rovers, I'll have fleet operations to get them there in the first place. This mod will make the undertaking a whole lot easier.

MechJeb has a "Rover Autopilot" feature that includes a really nifty "Follow" feature.  Put simply, you can set one rover's course and speed, and have another rover follow it.

I've only played around with this during rover testing on Kerbin (never having had a specific mission requirement for it), but it seems to be exactly what you're looking for.  It worked flawlessly in all my tests.

20 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

I think - think! - that one of those wild blue industries mods also have an articulation for rover wagons. Its called buffalo I think. It could be worth investigating.

I don't think so.  It has a "Trailer Hitch" docking port that allows you to join rovers together end-to-end, but AFAIK it's not articulated.  But best ask @Angel-125

3 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I don't think so.  It has a "Trailer Hitch" docking port that allows you to join rovers together end-to-end, but AFAIK it's not articulated.  But best ask @Angel-125

Or download it and check it out. I always avoid those mods because they do not work well with some other mod I use, except Heisenberg airships ...

I love the various Rover-Trucks by WildBlue.  But I think the "Feline Utility Rover" by @Nils277 is what we're looking for here.  I've not tried it out, but it clearly has an articulated/flexible connector part.

I downloaded it some time ago, but have never got around to checking it out...  so let's do all do that!

On 30.11.2017 at 5:38 AM, boccelounge said:

But I think the "Feline Utility Rover" by @Nils277 is what we're looking for here.  I've not tried it out, but it clearly has an articulated/flexible connector part.

Check the OP -- I tried that and it works wonderfully, it's only downside is that it doesn't make a good hitch/ link.

I had no time for futher tests during the week, but for the time being my hope rests with the MJ "follow" thing, or Burn Together.

On 12/1/2017 at 6:58 AM, Laie said:

Check the OP -- I tried that and it works wonderfully, it's only downside is that it doesn't make a good hitch/ link.

I had no time for futher tests during the week, but for the time being my hope rests with the MJ "follow" thing, or Burn Together.

Apologies; that's what I get from replying quickly while working on two computers simultaneously...

But what resolution have you come to?

On 26/11/2017 at 10:27 AM, Laie said:

Mind. Blown.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Never mind the rovers, I'll have fleet operations to get them there in the first place. This mod will make the undertaking a whole lot easier.

Burn together works quite nicely although the rover (or rovers) that are following currently will end up behind you a little ways .... you may need to switch leaders every so often to keep the group from spreading out to far

Here's and example of what can be done with Burn Together although my rover autopilot is at play in the video too (currently under development ... unreleased)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.