Bad science in fiction Hall of Shame

peadar1987

7 hours ago, Codraroll said:

In theory, this is possible, though. Cutting off a part of the ship and throwing it away to reduce mass. Air balloons do it all the time. Doing so in a spaceship might be a little more perilous, though. 

You forgot "grinding it down and throwing it into the fuel tank".

This post was brought to you by the Tsander Gang

12 hours ago, DDE said:

i?id=4129309c94b1c6cf584841e5be17c3a4-l&

Is that a dual axis lander? If so, it reminds me unavoidably of something...

Image result for eagle transporter

To keep on topic: Space 1999 has abominable scientific accuracy. An explosion big enough to blast the Moon out of Earth orbit (and into intergalactic space, apparently :sticktongue:) would just destroy it completely. But we can excuse it because it's a cheesy 70's sci-fi show :P

6 minutes ago, DDE said:

Did someone say "Ro-Ro"?

Exactly!

Upd. Also Love, Death, And Robots "Любовь, смерть и роботы", s01e13.
(The whole series is nice, too. Reminds me of the Metal Hurlant "Ревущий металл", "Военная хроника" (two seasons))

Edited by kerbiloid

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, started watching “Avenue 5.” Gotta love Hugh Laurie’s deadpan delivery, and I can hand wave away the gravity generator stuff, but the part where they eject a coffin and it comes to a halt, then starts moving 90degrees to its original path, and is said to have started orbiting the massive cruiser, um, yaaaaa.....  Having a ship massive enough to have objects orbit it is fine (although it may have been orbiting a little quickly, and having an object closely orbit the waist of a cigar is probably unstable), but it just wouldn’t move like that...

14 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Yeah, started watching “Avenue 5.” Gotta love Hugh Laurie’s deadpan delivery, and I can hand wave away the gravity generator stuff, but the part where they eject a coffin and it comes to a halt, then starts moving 90degrees to its original path, and is said to have started orbiting the massive cruiser, um, yaaaaa.....  Having a ship massive enough to have objects orbit it is fine (although it may have been orbiting a little quickly, and having an object closely orbit the waist of a cigar is probably unstable), but it just wouldn’t move like that...

Maybe they have a leak in their  gravity field tank. I had a car that leaked oil and all kinds of crap got stuck to it. I imagine that the principle is the same.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, DDE said:

Meanwhile on the Russian internet...

I can't tell if the Popular Mechanics ships carry jet or propeller aircraft.  It might have worked for propeller craft, but there really isn't any reason to build a carrier that can't carry MiGs.

I heard that during the early part of the Iraq War, the US parked an empty carrier in the Indian Ocean.  Perhaps they later replaced it with a similar sized container ship (especially during an economic downturn), but it was effectively a "floating base".  Just make sure you haven't deployed on while fighting an enemy with an effective navy (read: has submarines).

1 hour ago, wumpus said:

I can't tell if the Popular Mechanics ships carry jet or propeller aircraft.  It might have worked for propeller craft, but there really isn't any reason to build a carrier that can't carry MiGs.

Look like someone's idea of an early model jet with old-style tricycle gear. And v-shaped combination stabilizers.

2 hours ago, DDE said:

PQ8o4Pq.jpg

Hide contents

I suppose it's a worthy successor to Popular Mechanics' vision of a post-WWII Soviet Navy.

https://imgur.com/MpmJFjzMpmJFjz.jpg

Top looks like a ship from an anime. PM ones look like they were created by someone destined to design ships in anime.

17 hours ago, DDE said:

PQ8o4Pq.jpg

Why don't just make two carriers rather than bolt them together? 
That way you can have them operate separate  and they fit trough canals. 
Now if you cover the gap in flight deck it makes a bit more sense, on this design you can not even move planes between the hulls.

One idea of mine is to rater use two outriggers who would give an large flight deck and also excellent protection as missiles and torpedoes will hit the outrigger. 

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

One idea of mine is to rater use two outriggers who would give an large flight deck and also excellent protection as missiles and torpedoes will hit the outrigger. 

Now this is how slightly more serious designers think.

p1ckfpcs231d061f0q16151m4nv501.jpg

...only they for some reason eschew the hangar deck.

Tell you what I am loving "Picard"

But eeeeeeeeennngghhghh....they just pulled the ol' "Slam on the brakes, he'll fly right by" manouvre in a big way.

Leave that junk at Miramar, Rios.

• 1 month later...

Russians only want one thing and it's ******* disgusting.

A 'cold launch' rocketgun with remote-control guidance. They actually call it an 'ideal weapon' in the title.

Truly they are the Emperor's loyal servants.

5 hours ago, DDE said:

They actually call it an 'ideal weapon' in the title.

"Ideal" can also mean "hypothetical, unachievable, can only exist as an idea, imaginary", such as a frictionless vacuum, an infinitely thin, straight line or the ideal turbine used to derivate Betz' limit for wind power efficiency. In that usage, the word may actually be appropriate.

But anyway, give it a few months, and Russia will probably boast of having it in their arsenal anyway. There seems to be a trend in Russian defense news that if a weapon can be conceived on paper as a conceptual possibility, it is considered operational and in use by the armed forces, even if the concept has only been tested once to spectacular failure. See undetectable torpedoes, hypersonic missiles, radars that detect stealth aircraft, tanks that survive anything, etc.

Edited by Codraroll

15 hours ago, Codraroll said:

radars that detect stealth aircraft

More plausible than you think. A lot of the signature reduction techniques are very frequency-specific, and thus are surprisingly vulnerable to, say, the old Chain Home.

On 4/19/2020 at 3:14 PM, DDE said:

More plausible than you think. A lot of the signature reduction techniques are very frequency-specific, and thus are surprisingly vulnerable to, say, the old Chain Home.

Plausible, yes, that's the case for many of the listed examples. But there's a fair long way to go from "plausible as a concept" to "operational on the battlefield right now", and the Russian ministry of defense tends to mean the former when they claim the latter.

18 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Plausible, yes, that's the case for many of the listed examples. But there's a fair long way to go from "plausible as a concept" to "operational on the battlefield right now", and the Russian ministry of defense tends to mean the former when they claim the latter.

To be fair, the Ministry of Defense also tends to deny the wholesome existence of certain battlefields :sticktongue:

Sputnik / Спутник (2020)

(Warning, disgusting content)

Spoiler

Only total freaks could make such trailer splashscreen, imho.

Spoiler
Spoiler

I believe the
(spoiler alert)

Spoiler

telepatic extraterrestrial nonhumanoid invader

is the only realistic part of this movie.

Even with Soviet goods as scenery and pseudo-Soviet background. No, this is not USSR 1983 even close, believe me.
"Chernobyl Chronicles" are almost authentic.
(Not the HBO "Chernobyl", that was just an American noir in Soviet decorations, but the thriller series about the teenagers chasing the podcaster).

On the other hand, we watch this movie not for low realism, but
for human interpersonal relations, philosophical questions, drama of civilisations contact
because it was on torrent
for human interpersonal relations, philosophical questions, drama of civilisations contact.

Edited by kerbiloid

Collision Earth (2020)

It's produced by Asylum, who is well known for its realism, and starts from the very usual scene of a fiery bolide moving right to the amateur telescope in the garden.

But then
(spoiler warning)

Spoiler

they start launching Titans II (yes, LGM-25) into the swarm of rocks approaching to the Earth, and these Titans are floating in space and safely colliding with each other with the first stages not separated.

So, probably the Titans are not dismissed but refueled with magic fuel and still remaining on duty,

Edited by kerbiloid