N70

[1.4.0 <-> 1.7.1] Kerbalism v3.0.2

Recommended Posts

@N70I have no planet pack but a similar issue:
lcCG75a.png

Quick find:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KERBALISM.Callbacks.vesselModified (.Vessel vessel_a) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
ProceduralParts.ProceduralPart:OnPartColliderChanged()
BaseEvent:Invoke(BaseEventDetails)
Part:SendEvent(String, BaseEventDetails, Int32)
ProceduralParts.ProceduralAbstractShape:ColliderChanged()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralAbstractShape:RaiseModelAndColliderChanged()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralAbstractSoRShape:WriteMeshes(LinkedList`1)
ProceduralParts.ProceduralShapeBezierCone:WriteShape()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralShapeBezierCone:WriteBezier()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralShapeBezierCone:UpdateShape(Boolean)
ProceduralParts.ProceduralAbstractShape:OnUpdateEditor()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralPart:InitializeNodes()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralPart:DoInitialize()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralPart:OnInitialize()
Part:InitializeModules()
ShipConstruct:LoadShip(ConfigNode, UInt32, Boolean, String&)
ShipConstruct:LoadShip(ConfigNode, UInt32)
ShipConstruct:LoadShip(ConfigNode)
ShipConstruction:LoadShip(String)
FlightDriver:setStartupNewVessel()
FlightDriver:Start()
 
(Filename:  Line: -1)

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndaev56f2rqa3lm/2018-03-29_1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

perhaps it's because I use a procedural part - darn these PP always trigger issues :D@Tidal Stream

Edited by Gordon Dry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, njbrown09 said:

@N70 just a heads up, the new connection ground station thing doesn’t work with RSS or any planet packs that aren’t kerbins radius (I’ve only tried RSS and GPP). It seems that the stations are under the ground.

You can just copy/paste RemoteTech configs for those mods, remove UUID, change MarkColor to Color, and change Omni to Range

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gordon Dry Can you create a minimal, complete, and verifiable example, and log it on the Github issue tracker? It should include a savegame, the minimal amount of mods that cause the issue, and the craft file. This would make it easier for either me or someone else from the community to test and fix the issue. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some new low-gain antennas are being modeled currently, for long range relays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drew Kerman said:

I think you are using the newer Kerbalism being run by @N70, since you are losing signal over Kerbin which doesn't happen in the version from @ShotgunNinja. The proper thread for that is here

But to at least answer the relay question - Kerbalism is designed to operate much like the Deep Space Network - high gain dishes connect directly to Kerbin but low-gain probes can talk to each other in orbit around the same planet. So you're not supposed to be setting up huge relay networks like you would do with CommNet or RemoteTech - every probe you launch should be able to connect directly to Kerbin via a high-gain dish. If the probe is heading to a planet with other probes, a low-gain antenna can be used to talk to those probes (much like the various Mars orbiters relay data between each other before one of them beams it back to Earth). Low-gain can also be used by itself for probes in orbit around Kerbin

Well, my probe has a high-gain antenna but it still loses signal regularly around Minmus as Kerbin rotates and KSC goes to the opposite side. I was lucky enough that I had control over the satellite when the link was present or otherwise it would have crashed into Minmus. Provided I have a high-gain antenna of a proper range, what should I do to have a permanent link with the satellite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, cicatrix said:

Well, my probe has a high-gain antenna but it still loses signal regularly around Minmus as Kerbin rotates and KSC goes to the opposite side. I was lucky enough that I had control over the satellite when the link was present or otherwise it would have crashed into Minmus. Provided I have a high-gain antenna of a proper range, what should I do to have a permanent link with the satellite?

 Either allow partial control or build a comm network :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, njbrown09 said:

 Either allow partial control or build a comm network :)

That's the point. How do I build a comm network if all low-gain antennae have very limited range?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cicatrix said:

That's the point. How do I build a comm network if all low-gain antennae have very limited range?

Put the long range ones AND the relay ones on the same relay sattelite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cicatrix said:

That's the point. How do I build a comm network if all low-gain antennae have very limited range?

wait for the next update or just edit the System/Signal.cfg to make all antennas low-gain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, N70 said:

wait for the next update or just edit the System/Signal.cfg to make all antennas low-gain.

Feature Request: Make solar panels compatible with kopernicus stars. It would REALLY make this mod better (GPP Support and other planet packs!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cicatrix said:

Provided I have a high-gain antenna of a proper range, what should I do to have a permanent link with the satellite?

The real problem here is that you're only using one ground station. The recent release allowed for ground stations instead of just connecting to Kerbin in general. Again, keeping with the DSN analogy they have three main stations spread across the Earth so that at anytime one station is able to see a satellite that is not blocked by another body. Just add more ground stations. You'll still need to setup a relay satellite around Minmus if you want to stay in touch with Kerbin when a probe is blocked by Minmus itself, or you can just plan for that outage instead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

The real problem here is that you're only using one ground station. The recent release allowed for ground stations instead of just connecting to Kerbin in general. Again, keeping with the DSN analogy they have three main stations spread across the Earth so that at anytime one station is able to see a satellite that is not blocked by another body. Just add more ground stations. You'll still need to setup a relay satellite around Minmus if you want to stay in touch with Kerbin when a probe is blocked by Minmus itself, or you can just plan for that outage instead

Wouldn't a better solution be to increase the range of some of the stations that exist already? However I have tried that (by changing the range in the default.cfg profile) but it doesn't seem to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.1.4.1 is out. It fixes relays not having much range, NRE spam in Making History, and updates MiniAVC.

Thank you @taniwha for trying to help me fix the math involved with signal rates! Unfortunately, the spaghetti code is the problem.

Edited by N70

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cnose said:

Wouldn't a better solution be to increase the range of some of the stations that exist already? However I have tried that (by changing the range in the default.cfg profile) but it doesn't seem to work.

Should work. Range is in meters, btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cnose said:

Wouldn't a better solution be to increase the range of some of the stations that exist already?

I'm not aware as to whether Kerbalism ships with more ground stations than just KSC. If there are more ground stations that come with Kerbalism and @cicatrix is losing signal due to range issues then yea, increase the range. But I was thinking they only had KSC to connect to, so of course you wouldn't be able to maintain a constant connection that way. hence, add more ground stations

Edited by Drew Kerman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

The real problem here is that you're only using one ground station. The recent release allowed for ground stations instead of just connecting to Kerbin in general. Again, keeping with the DSN analogy they have three main stations spread across the Earth so that at anytime one station is able to see a satellite that is not blocked by another body. Just add more ground stations. You'll still need to setup a relay satellite around Minmus if you want to stay in touch with Kerbin when a probe is blocked by Minmus itself, or you can just plan for that outage instead

How do I add more ground stations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cicatrix said:

How do I add more ground stations?

look in GameData\Kerbalism\Profiles\Default.cfg

Wow yea there are a lot of ground stations. I guess if you're having problems always connecting to one then you should increase the ranges as @cnose suggested. Again, first time I've looked at anything for this new Kerbalism so I wasn't aware more than a single ground station was included by default.

Also @N70 good of you to be helping people work around this "issue" of relay sats but you understand why @ShotgunNinja had it setup to not have high-gain antennas act as relays right? Not saying that you are required to stick to the original vision of the mod, just wondering. Generally people who wanted to do relay networks like CommNet or RemoteTech were told to just disable the Signal and use those mods instead

Edited by Drew Kerman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, after last update things start to work, but there are some weird bugs. Like this: 

Spoiler

yXsFBqw.png

Relay1 & Relay2 are identical, both has 1 high-gain & 2  low-gain antennas, Relay3 has only high-gain antennas. Low-gain are in relaying mode. After some investigations I'm found what's wrong. High-gain antenna provide connection with DSN, but didn't provide any rate.

Also there is bug in map view, when camera is near rendered link.

Spoiler

kenNfbS.png

UPD. I think problem in Antenna.calculate_rate() new implementation.

Edited by GRAleX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is definitely some problem with antennas and ground stations : I just tried putting a satellite around minmus with an RA-15 antenna (100Gm), and it can still only reach the KSC ground station, when it's visible, but none of the other ground stations.

I have several relays on low orbit of kerbin which seem to properly use all of the ground stations, and relay signal between each other, which were useful when I had to relay signal to a polar orbit satellite.

Edited by Valerian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GRAleX said:

Ok, after last update things start to work, but there are some weird bugs. Like this: 

  Hide contents

yXsFBqw.png

Relay1 & Relay2 are identical, both has 1 high-gain & 2  low-gain antennas, Relay3 has only high-gain antennas. Low-gain are in relaying mode. After some investigations I'm found what's wrong. High-gain antenna provide connection with DSN, but didn't provide any rate.

Also there is bug in map view, when camera is near rendered link.

  Hide contents

kenNfbS.png

UPD. I think problem in Antenna.calculate_rate() new implementation.

Re-download new update, turns out there were major problems with the new math.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a little bug:

1594800700_1522436071.png

- Icons doesnt change to yellow when relayed

- if is direct signal, relayed signal is displayed too

- relay from orbit of kerbin need to get signal from kerbin, not from minmus relay in this case

*All relays is the same.

Edited by popos1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, popos1 said:

There is a little bug:

1594800700_1522436071.png

- Icons doesnt change to yellow when relayed

- if is direct signal, relayed signal is displayed too

- relay from orbit of kerbin need to get signal from kerbin, not from minmus relay in this case

*All relays is the same.

How did you get that tracking menu?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, njbrown09 said:

How did you get that tracking menu?

it's a mod, 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So wait.... Now the least powerful Antenna, the Communotron mini thing, has super-powerful relay capability that takes precedence over anything else? And the high-gains can now no longer transmit science, only telemetry? Is that right? I have a crummy little lander on the Mun with a deployable low-gain and deployable high-gain. When I click relay to 'yes' on the low-gain (which should not be able to reach Kerbin), all of my satellites around Kerbin suddenly connect to the KSC through the Mun lander's mini antenna. When I stow it away and use only the high-gain, I can control the Mun lander but the data rate says 'none' and I can't transmit any science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, cnose said:

So wait.... Now the least powerful Antenna, the Communotron mini thing, has super-powerful relay capability that takes precedence over anything else? And the high-gains can now no longer transmit science, only telemetry? Is that right? I have a crummy little lander on the Mun with a deployable low-gain and deployable high-gain. When I click relay to 'yes' on the low-gain (which should not be able to reach Kerbin), all of my satellites around Kerbin suddenly connect to the KSC through the Mun lander's mini antenna. When I stow it away and use only the high-gain, I can control the Mun lander but the data rate says 'none' and I can't transmit any science.

 

same here

 

maybe thats why?: (transmission rate increases with distance? seems wrong to me)

99e7b3edcd.png

Edited by thehigtown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.