Can gay be a good cosmonauts / astronaut, just asking ;-)? would it bother you if someone from famous cosmonauts admitted to being homosexual?

Pawelk198604

1 minute ago, tater said:

Likely to become a closed topic, but no one cares at NASA at all. It's a non-issue. They don't care about eye color, either. No idea about the Russians.

Just drank to much scotch Whisky from tesco, it's called Johny Walker :D   

8 minutes ago, PB666 said:

You are bored aren't you. Lets see we have had dog astronauts, chimp astronauts, female and male so . . . . . . . .

dog astronaut? And  i i think only i drank alcohol tonight :D  

Can't believe I'm dignifying this question with an answer but no, it would not concern me in the slightest.

Edit. Sorry - to answer the first question - yes. Yes they can.

Edited by KSK

3 hours ago, KSK said:

Can't believe I'm dignifying this question with an answer but no, it would not concern me in the slightest.

Totally agree. Who fragging cares?
As long as the person is doing a proper job I can't be bothered with their gender, race, religion or orientation. I can honestly say I do not care. But DON'T try to convert me. Live and let live.

Merely asking this question is insulting to the LGBT community and extremely homophobic.

Edited by Tex_NL

I'll risk a little controversy with those who don't read the whole reply, by saying that virtually every gay man and lesbian I know/have known would have made a terrible astronaut.

That said, virtually every straight person (of either gender) and the one or two "other" (trans, etc.), would also have made terrible astronauts.  Many of them were plenty smart, but most had vastly insufficient education in math, science, and engineering (even a pilot has to be a better scientist and engineer than most folks to be an astronaut/cosmonaut).  Further, most people (of whatever sexual identity) just don't have the personality to be an astronaut -- the ability to keep calm in an emergency, to take the job seriously but unwind when off duty (to avoid burnout), to want their job more than absolutely anything else.

Would LGBTQIA folks make better or worse astronauts than "straight"?  Probably no real difference.  Straight males might feel threatened by either a gay male crew member or a lesbian, however; the sexuality of a "hot pilot" seems to be the kind that has to be demonstrated over an over, which my (trans man) partner would say suggests they're insecure in their own sexuality.  Feel threatened or not, however, part of their persona is to hide that kind of feeling, so they'd likely profess to be completely okay with it.

28 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

I'll risk a little controversy with those who don't read the whole reply, by saying that virtually every gay man and lesbian I know/have known would have made a terrible astronaut.

That said, virtually every straight person (of either gender) and the one or two "other" (trans, etc.), would also have made terrible astronauts. 

OK... I wasn't going to comment on this thread... but this right here is actually really good, and made me chuckle a little.

But you're right! The requirements to actually become an astronaut are so insanely hard that 99.999999% of everyone on the planet would make a terrible astronaut. As far as I'm concerned, if someone is one of those super rare 0.0000001% that are actually qualified to go to space, what that astronaut does in private is the last thing I'd be worrying about! 

Edited by Just Jim

This is the year 2018. Anyone who still discriminates on the basis of sexuality is really ridiculously foolish.

Same-gender orientation is not a disease or a syndrome or a problem. It is observed in thousands of animal species. We simply happen to be the only species which has made it into a problem.

At the risk of getting this thread locked: virtually all socially regressive policies stem from misogyny. We evolved in an agriculturally-driven, high-mortality society where it was economically advantageous to have strongly-structured gender roles. Industrialization led to a decline in the utility of these roles, and today there is no compelling reason to follow rigid gender roles, let alone mandate them. However, the affinity for those gender roles was deeply ingrained in the majority of societies, so deeply that the loss of these roles was seen as a threat to male identity. Toxic masculinity, in response, has systematically attacked anything which deviates from the male-led, heteronormative, gender essentialist patriarchal social model. Thus patriarchal misogyny is the root cause behind homophobia, transphobia, violence against women, and general gender inequality.

On a lighter note:

https://www.smbc-comics.com/?db=comics&id=2036#comic

Spoiler

20101021.gif

Again, we're treading on dangerous ground here, but....

I can only see a problem in a long term scenario, in cramped quarters.  And then it's not the problem with the 'gay' astronaut, it's the issues the other(s) my have with it.  But that said, the same problems would/may arise in an all straight mixed gender crew, so I guess it doesn't really matter.   And like @Zeiss Ikon said, they weed out any person unfit for duty on many grounds long before they see flight, so any of the 'problems' I'm referring to won't even be problems, as they would all be too professional to let it become a problem. 

Edited by Gargamel

4 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Again, we're treading on dangerous ground here, but....

I can only see a problem in a long term scenario, in cramped quarters.  And then it's not the problem with the 'gay' astronaut, it's the issues the other(s) my have with it.  But that said, the same problems would/may arise in an all straight mixed gender crew, so I guess it doesn't really matter. 

Same answer as with DADT and the military in general. Homophobes are the problem, not the people they're afraid of.

6 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Totally agree. Who fragging cares?
As long as the person is doing a proper job I can't be bothered with their gender, race, religion or orientation. I can honestly say I do not care. But DON'T try to convert me. Live and let live.

Merely asking this question is insulting to the LGBT community and extremely homophobic.

I'm Gay maybe it's homophobic but how someone who is gay be homophobic?! I'm Gay and i'm slowly accepting that facts for past 18 years!   

Folks, this forum is not in the business of being exclusionary or discriminatory, and frankly this kind of question is ridiculous.

The answer to the question "can a gay person be a good astronaut" is obviously "Yes, of course they can, same as anyone else."

Your race, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, favorite ice cream flavor-- none of those have even slightly anything to do with your diligence, skill, education, training, talent, or anything else that's needed to pilot a spacecraft, perform experiments, or do any of the other things that spacecraft crew may be called upon to do.

NASA clearly doesn't care about this, and for good reason:  they care about can you do the job, which is what matters.

So... 'nuff said?

Thank you for your understanding.