Katten

[1.6.1] AnimatedAttachment 2.1.2 - now with animated surface attachments! (2019-03-31)

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

I like it! Also, use Lucida Sans Unicode. plz?

Where? =)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What makes this mod better than Infernal robotics for me is the strength of joint connection. Robotic arms in IR is are too wobbly, robotic arms made with this mod are much stronger, the sliders make it easy to move the joints to the desired position. The cons is the absence of a UI which consolidates all deployable parts. I have to click on all joints, pin and align them every time I want to use a robotic arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Enceos said:

What makes this mod better than Infernal robotics for me is the strength of joint connection. Robotic arms in IR is are too wobbly, robotic arms made with this mod are much stronger, the sliders make it easy to move the joints to the desired position. The cons is the absence of a UI which consolidates all deployable parts. I have to click on all joints, pin and align them every time I want to use a robotic arm.

A UI to control generic animations would be cool :) note sure it is feasible.. can take a look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Enceos

You know the robotarm from angel125 its very non wobbly and easy to use, if not tell me will find it for u.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eagle92lightning said:

So I can't have wings with variable incidence that are attached to a hinge?

Sure you can!

Unfortunately, they will rotate in opposite directions if you add the rotatrons in symmetry mode =S 
If you add them separately, with their own rotations and home positions, you can probably make it work.

Edit: actually a hinge, just like you were asking for, worked perfectly =D 
I used the Rocket Emporium hinges for testing

Edited by Katten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Katten said:

Sure you can!

But will it affect the physics? That's is mainly what I am asking due to the fact I plan on working on a XF-103 Thunderwarrior type airframe soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, eagle92lightning said:

But will it affect the physics? That's is mainly what I am asking due to the fact I plan on working on a XF-103 Thunderwarrior type airframe soon.

Yes, it will affect physics =) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is attaching two movable parts to eachother a bad move by chance? I have an extender attached to a rotator. When loading back to the craft their orientation reverts to their previous position and rotator is nonfunctional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2018 at 8:51 AM, eagle92lightning said:

So I can't have wings with variable incidence that are attached to a hinge?

Just chiming in on this thread for the first time. @eagle92lightning you can definitely do this - Use a stock all-moving tail fin or canard as your wing base part, then attach the rest of your wing segments to the tail fin.  Uncheck all the pitch/roll/yaw options, then use the Deploy function to switch incidence and use the limiter to fine-tune it.  Works great in place of flaps to get high lift for take-off/landing, and low drag for high speed runs.

I've mainly been playing with Big-S elevons with their chord along the fuselage length, to make folding wings possible:

rw8uNiI.png

rAdHvgt.png

Also landing gear mounted to the inside of cargo bay doors, so they retract into the bay and shielded from drag :)

Random question - anyone aware of an action group mod that lets you switch deploy direction from action groups?  Stock allows deploy activation, but not switching from normal to inverted

Edited by fourfa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another random usability question.  I'm using this mainly with stock parts.  I've noticed there are some funny differences between various moving aero parts. 

The following stock parts allow you to attach other wings parts to them, so you can use them as pivoting root wing parts as described above: Advanced Canard, Standard Canard, Tail Fin. If you look in the cfgs for these parts, you find 'attachRules = 0,1,0,1,0'  Big-S Elevon 1 & 2, FAT-455 control surface, have 'attachRules = 0,1,0,1,1'

These do not allow you to attach other parts to them: AV-R8 Winglet, Delta-Deluxe Winglet, A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S. If you look in the cfgs for these parts, you find 'attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1'  Elevon 1 through 5 have 'attachRules = '0,1,0,0,0'

These allow surface attachment but don't move the attached part with deploy: FAT-455 Tail Fin, Big-S Spaceplane Tail Fin (0,1,0,1,1)

(For what it's worth the service bays are 1,0,1,1,0.  Mk2 and Mk3 cargo bays and ramp are 1,0,1,1,1.  Landing legs are 0,1,0,0,0.)

I found the following here:

"Attachment rules

attachRules defines how this part attaches to or allows attachments from other parts. Though documented in some part files, the documentation is minimalist and difficult to understand, so here's a little clean-up and expansion.

  • // attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
  • attachRules = 1,1,1,1,1

The rules correspond to the numbers below - 1 is allow, 0 is prevent. The tags are:

stack - Can your part be stacked on others?

SrfAttach - Can your part be placed onto a surface?

allowStack - Will you allow other parts to be stacked on your part?

allowSrfAttach Can other parts be placed on the surface of yours?

allowCollision - A special one: Can your part be placed if part of it is intersecting another part?"

I propose that this mod might include a patch for stock parts adjusting these attachRules, to make maximum use of the moving stock parts.  I've been playing with it and I don't see any game-affecting downsides yet.

Edited by fourfa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, fourfa said:

I propose that this mod might include a patch for stock parts adjusting these attachRules

What you could also do is install Editor Extensions Redux. This lets you change the surface attachment permissions on a per-part basis with a simple click, rather than try to patch every possible permutation of stock and user-created part that may or may not work well with surface attachment:

Not everything reacts well to being surface attached, and sometimes parts which are okay one way will react very badly if used differently; I tried mounting a battery and SOAP-1 camera inside the upward-facing folding doors of a mk2 Cargo bay and, while everything lined up and looked fine in the SPH, if I opened the doors on the runway then the ship cracked in two and the runway exploded into flames... So I tried it in flight, and the Kraken would smite me from the skies! :huh:

Interestingly, you don't actually need to hide your undercarriage inside a cargo bay like that; just clip it inside a part and set "Deploy Shielded" to on and you'll get the exact same effect. However if you're gonna be using the cargo bay for other things then it's a neat stylistic element, and regardless I like how you've done it. 

I don't think there's an action group mod that can do as you ask, because those options are not exposed in the code to be used by the Action Group system.

SXT has a set of folding wings, and although they're not swept they function well even at supersonic speeds. Might also be worth a look - not sure you'd be able to surface-attach much, as they fold into quite a compact unit, but you never know... 

 

Edited by JH4C
removed redundant redundancy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2018 at 8:54 AM, Motokid600 said:

Is attaching two movable parts to eachother a bad move by chance? I have an extender attached to a rotator. When loading back to the craft their orientation reverts to their previous position and rotator is nonfunctional.

That is (should be) totally fine! I do it all the time. Please check:
* Do you have the latest version?
* Remember that you need to make sure you are adding them so that the animated node is not connected to the parent.

With that being said, I have seen some odd situation like that popping up too, but I haven't been able to really replicate it. If possible, add a screenshot of your setup =)

On 9/3/2018 at 10:28 PM, fourfa said:

I propose that this mod might include a patch for stock parts adjusting these attachRules, to make maximum use of the moving stock parts.  I've been playing with it and I don't see any game-affecting downsides yet.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me! This mod already removes the NoAttach tags from individual colliders, but doesn't change the attach rules at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Katten said:

Sounds pretty reasonable to me! This mod already removes the NoAttach tags from individual colliders, but doesn't change the attach rules at the moment.

If you do go ahead with this, please do it as an optional config; suddenly having every part surface attachable to every other part promises to make intricate constructions very tricky to accomplish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill get ya a screenshot and some logs to look at asap. I did some more experimenting and sadly had to remove the rotator from my crafts design. As the part placed onto the rotator is consistently reverting to its stock position when reloading back to it. I tried placing a small part in between the rotator and extender to test if what I said was the issue. its wasnt.The part still reverted to its previous position. I noticed however that the rotator is actually unaffected and still moves as I play with the deploy limit, but the part attached to it is stuck.  Edit: I just remembered this only occurs on craft in orbit.    Screenshots.  https://imgur.com/a/01tRqXM   Note: I say "closed/open" but I do manipulate the deploy limit in the open position. Just incase that could be a factor as opposed to opening the rotator and leaving it alone. And for some reason I cant get an output_log to generate >.<

Edited by Motokid600

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

[snip]

Edit: I just remembered this only occurs on craft in orbit.

[snip]

Crafts in orbits can have two things in common : they can be not yet loaded (ie can be seen from KSC tracking station) and "under the hood" vessels in orbit (under fast warp, no accelerations from atmosphere or engines) have their physics turned off. To me it sounds like issue with unloaded vessels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Ill get ya a screenshot and some logs to look at asap. I did some more experimenting and sadly had to remove the rotator from my crafts design. As the part placed onto the rotator is consistently reverting to its stock position when reloading back to it. I tried placing a small part in between the rotator and extender to test if what I said was the issue. its wasnt.The part still reverted to its previous position. I noticed however that the rotator is actually unaffected and still moves as I play with the deploy limit, but the part attached to it is stuck.  Edit: I just remembered this only occurs on craft in orbit.    Screenshots.  https://imgur.com/a/01tRqXM   Note: I say "closed/open" but I do manipulate the deploy limit in the open position. Just incase that could be a factor as opposed to opening the rotator and leaving it alone. And for some reason I cant get an output_log to generate >.<

Thanks for the report! I have an intensive period at work now, but in a week or two I should be able to get around trying to replicate it =)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you are using the reCoupler(By Booots) with tihis mod (and also Infernal Robotics) be aware of recoupled parts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way to make the joints stronger.  I tried making a robot arm with the parts in RocketEmporium and it just wiggles like a wet noodle when I put any weight on the other end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Is there a way to make the joints stronger.  I tried making a robot arm with the parts in RocketEmporium and it just wiggles like a wet noodle when I put any weight on the other end. 

Have you tried autostruts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ThePixeledFox said:

great looking mod , if only i could find the parts in the game ? ksp version 1.4.5 no expansion , no other mods .

This mod has no parts that I'm aware of.  I just changes how all animated parts work so you can attach things to the moving bits, like putting a thermometer on the door of the service bay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now