Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

On 10/14/2022 at 8:41 AM, Lisias said:

Fairchild XC-120 Packplane . Incredibly Kerbal!!!  - including on how the cargopod is attached to the main fuselage!

(stack separators anyone?)

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_XC-120_Packplane

My guess is that it was an response to the Berlin blockade. There an number of these planes could be useful if you had spare containers, as you could fly them in, leave them and pick up new ones. Then the delivered ones was empty they would be brought back to be refilled. 
Downside it that this is heavier than a  standard fuselage. More so jets and flying higher made this much harder. 

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

My guess is that it was an response to the Berlin blockade. There an number of these planes could be useful if you had spare containers, as you could fly them in, leave them and pick up new ones. Then the delivered ones was empty they would be brought back to be refilled. 
Downside it that this is heavier than a  standard fuselage. More so jets and flying higher made this much harder. 

What I had read is that the problem they were trying to solve if that cargo planes are sitting ducks when being loaded and unloaded. By having the whole cargo bay unloaded and ferried to a safer location for loading and unloading they would minimize the risk of the plane and the cargo from being blow up into the skies on a raid.

— — — 

Do you like Humvees? Do you like boats? Some people like them both!!! 

WaterCar H1 Panther.

Minuteman-III launch drill minus the launch. Yes, the nuclear warhead transportation semi-trailer is atop the silo intentionally - apparently during one exercise someone set off the live launch sequence, and so a humvee was driven onto the silo top and left with the brakes off in the hope that it fall into the missile.

https://t.me/v_bunkere_ne_strashno/414

In 1773, a 15-year-old coxswain Horatio Nelson, while part of an Arctic expedition onboard the HMS Carcass, is said to have attempted to hunt a polar bear with a rusty musket. Naturally, it misfired, which prompted Nelson, contrary to everyone's advice, attempted to clobber the adult bear with a musket.

12 hours ago, Lisias said:

1978 Star Streak Motor Home.

I still trying to figure out what to think about this… :P

the-star-streak-shows-how-you-can-turn-a

the-star-streak-shows-how-you-can-turn-a

More info here: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-star-streak-is-how-you-turn-a-cadillac-eldorado-into-a-fancy-motorhome-181778.html#

I’m thinking those tires are at their load limit…

24 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Why , they are almost round :) Worked at an concrete plant once I was at the plant making mortar.  
One guy cam an got 8 of 1 ton palls, his truck had very flat tires and low suspension.  One of the guys told me that truck was rated for 3.5 ton cargo :o 

The mud flaps was scarping the road. 

7 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

When your confused a tank model with its collider.

https://cs14.pikabu.ru/video/2022/10/25/1666679722220996001_408x720.av1.mp4

Can't open this one. Damn. :(

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

These are not ordinary tires, these heavy cars of that past were heavy as a truck - that tires need to withhold a lot more of abuse than the tires of nowadays cars!

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Why , they are almost round :) 

Yep. A friend of mine used to own a Landau :

Ford-LTD-Landau-1971_Renato-Bellote_01-1

And dude… That car WAS HEAVY. His worst problem wasn't the fuel consumption (he owned a gas station IIRC - or perhaps a relative, I don't remember), it was to find tires for the damned thing.

My truck used tires with a similar certified load, by the way. And, yeah, that truck had the very same dry weight as the landau above!

Picape-D20-De-Luxe-cabine-dupla-Turbo-Di

6 minutes ago, Lisias said:

These are not ordinary tires, these heavy cars of that past were heavy as a truck - that tires need to withhold a lot more of abuse than the tires of nowadays cars!

Well, I did say at, not past. Hard to tell without a close look of course, but they look like stock tires for that car, and the weight likely doubled with the conversion   So that was my gut response 

"So, this high-altitude Mach 2 interceptor you built?"

"Yeah, the Starfighter is a beast, but tends to nosedive in transsonic modes, especially at full load. And the landing speed is over 260. And the seat ejects downwards."

"So it's a perfect low-altitude fighter-bomber for the Luftwaffe!"

26%2B72%2520F-104G%2520MFG%25202%2520Soe

292 of the 916 airframes totalled in crashes, 115 pilots dead.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

"So, this high-altitude Mach 2 interceptor you built?"

"Yeah, the Starfighter is a beast, but tends to nosedive in transsonic modes, especially at full load. And the landing speed is over 260. And the seat ejects downwards."

"So it's a perfect low-altitude fighter-bomber for the Luftwaffe!"

In theirs and everyone else’s defence, there was a fair amount of corruption and bribery going on.

That’s bad, but it’s not “I sincerely think this is a great aircraft” bad!

23 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

In theirs and everyone else’s defence, there was a fair amount of corruption and bribery going on.

That’s bad, but it’s not “I sincerely think this is a great aircraft” bad!

Yep. The Italians also operated the F114, with way less accidents. About 155 from 1964 to 2002, from a total of 359. About 4 per year in average.

The Germans lost 298 from 1961 to 1989. About 10 per year in average. More than twice.

But the Italians operated way less airframes than Germany, so the loss rate was sensibly higher - ~43.17% for Italians and ~32.52 for the Germans.

About casualties, 69 Italian pilots were lost, or 69/155 = ~44.15%  of the crashes killed the pilot. For Germans, the rate is ~39.38%.

So even with corruption and all the lack of training documented over the Net, the germans managed to do a bit better than the Italians overall.

So, yeah… It was a dangerous plane. Still a formidable one, but dangerous nevertheless.

On 10/26/2022 at 5:48 PM, DDE said:

24749648_original.jpg

Prototype?

A fart detector using sound waves? :sticktongue:

"Ah, I see you're a fan of external seats as well!"

24802934_original.jpg

24803717_original.jpg

24803190_original.jpg

First two look like Ghatak stormtroopers with their mini-Tavors. Second one... AKMs, bump helmets, and what looks like borber troops camo.