adsii1970's sandbox micro-challenges (New Challenge - December 16, 2022)

TONIGHT, ON SPACE GEAR:

I FLY SEGMENT OF SS III FOR MINIMUS SPACE STATION CHALLENGE

I CRASH A KERBAL INTO THE GROUND AT OVER 200 KILOMETERS PER HOUR

AND MY LANDER  IS DOOMED BECAUSE I FORGOT SOLAR PANELS AGAIN :(

ok lets start:

I launched segment one of SSIII for the Minimus space station challenge.

Spoiler

20210401163216-1.jpg

and got it to minimus orbit:

20210401165341-1.jpg

The station is only maintain contact because of the relay sat in orbit (I forgot an antenna again).

We proceeded to land at 30 m/s and almost explode. We hopped around because of the rough landing and eventually came to a stop.

However when I went for a EVA speed trial at 60 m/s, this happened:

Spoiler

20210401165932-1.jpg

So RIP Linner Kerman (she was a scientist though so luckily the pilot is still alive).

And now my surface Minimus Space frogs are doomed because there almost out of electricity to charge there gaming hardware (and to also dock back).

SO TOMMOROW ON SPCAE GEAR: RESCURE MISSION.

Edited by STORMPILOTkerbalkind

Here is my official submission for the Minimus space station challenge (I had a save I could revert to so I did not need a rescue mission).

Section one of SS III:

Spoiler

20210401163459-1.jpg

20210401164422-1.jpg

More images in post above this one.

Here is section two:

Spoiler

20210402085543-1.jpg

20210402090341-1.jpg

20210402091425-1.jpg

20210402091628-1.jpg

Here is the final Station. It holds six kerbals, has fuel/ oxidizer, Solar panels, and has communication to Kerbin. It Orbits at just below 65 KM. The lander has just over 3500 m/s of Delta V. I have not landed it but plan to fly it tomorrow!

Spoiler

20210402092014-1.jpg

@adsii1970 is this all good? Do I get badge now?

Also could we eventually get challenges that go outside of the kerbin system?

3 hours ago, STORMPILOTkerbalkind said:

@adsii1970 is this all good? Do I get badge now?

Yes. You can put the badge in your signature or wherever you wish to place it. 

3 hours ago, STORMPILOTkerbalkind said:

Also could we eventually get challenges that go outside of the kerbin system?

Yes, eventually there will be missions to every body in the Kerbol system. And that includes OPM. 

Eve probe and lander micro-challenge

This challenge involves creating an orbital probe with at least one lander/surveyor probe to land on the surface of Eve.

Here are the requirements for your :

Modded game

Stock game
+ This is an unkerbaled mission (no crew). + This is an unkerbaled mission (no crew).
+ The Eve probe must be placed in a polar orbit at an altitude of at least 98km + The Eve probe must be placed in a polar orbit at an altitude of at least 86km
+ The orbiting probe must act as a relay for the lander. + The orbiting probe must act as a relay for the lander.
+ The orbiting probe must be able to scan the surface for ore and anomalies. + The orbiting probe must be able to scan the surface for ore and anomalies.
+ The orbiting probe must be able to generate its own power. + The orbiting probe must be able to generate its own power.
+ The lander must be able to survive entry into the atmosphere and land on Eve. + The lander must be able to survive entry into the atmosphere and land in Eve.

Requirements for the lander:
+ The lander must be able to measure the temperature on Eve.
+ The lander must be able to take and process an Eve soil sample.
+ The lander must be able to take pictures of Eve's surface (mod link).
+ The lander must be able to take atmospheric readings on Eve.
+ The lander must be able to remain in contact with the KSC.
+ The lander must have a mystery goo container.

+ Requirements for the lander:
+ The lander must be able to measure the temperature on Eve.
+ The lander must be able to take and process an Eve soil sample.
+ The lander must be able to take atmospheric readings on Eve.
+ The lander must be able to remain in contact with the KSC.
+ The lander must have a mystery goo container.

+ The lander must be able to be independently controlled. + The lander must be able to be independently controlled.

Additional information about the challenge:

• This is a bit of a harder challenge. Do not expect your first attempt to go smoothly. I decided to do a modified NASA/Soviet Space Agency style mission with this one. Before either space program sent men into space, there were dozens of various missions designed to generate scientific knowledge about the intended target.
  • The orbital probe needs to have the ability to act as a relay between the probe and the KSC. Otherwise, depending on your settings, you will lose control of your lander.
  • I'd recommend constructing a system where the orbital probe has at least two landers.
    • This way, in the event you destroy a lander, you have another one available.
    • There is no size limit or design to how the lander must appear. So it makes no difference if you use a .625m or a 1.25m probe core for your landers.
    • Yes, your landers need their own probe cores. Otherwise, the game treats them as debris. No probe core, no control.
  • There are many great camera mods out there, but I recommend "Hullcam VDS - Continued."

The sandbox micro-challenge badge:

oWd6sz9.png?1

Participant Board:

@KingDominoIII: "Had a few issues with Eve surface features. Hope this counts."    

7 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

For the surface sample, does that just mean a drill and ore container?

What mod has cameras?

For the camera, I'd recommend Hullcam VDS - Continued.

I have both of the DLCs in addition to a bunch of mods. If you are playing stock, you could technically use the stock Surface Scanning Module.  If you have the DLC, "Breaking Ground," you could use CRSY Light Scanning Arm or the SPRT Medium Scanning Arm.

Nice approach to this with realism @adsii1970. The CCCP (USSR) sent the Luna probes before going there (which never happened) and we also have tons of robotics on Mars to assist our arriva- 

Wait, I sense a manned eve mission challenge.

3 minutes ago, STORMPILOTkerbalkind said:

Nice approach to this with realism @adsii1970. The CCCP (USSR) sent the Luna probes before going there (which never happened) and we also have tons of robotics on Mars to assist our arriva- 

Wait, I sense a manned eve mission challenge.

Yes, that orbiting probe has a function you'll need later on. Remember, I said you'd need to make sure it can act as a relay station. ;)

4 minutes ago, STORMPILOTkerbalkind said:

I’m never going to get back from eve, let alone get into orbit.

There will be more missions before the Kerballed Eve missions. This way, you will get more practice with transfers, etc. Eventually, by the time I begin to add the planets from Outer Planet Mods (OPM), you will be so accustomed to doing transfers it will become nearly second nature.

Also, the next challenge will be released around April 12th. It will be an extremely easy mission but serves an essential purpose for future missions. :)

@adsii1970 outer planets? Lol I just got the mod yesterday.

Any ideas how to get transfer angles for the OPM mod? I can never find them on google. A really hard planet however would be whatever the Neptune equivalent is. Because a) it’s far away and would either require a lot of fuel or gravity assist, which my square tiny brain cannot handle. B) once your in the system there are two moons, with very high untidy orbits, and low gravitational pulls.

hey, um, why does it need to be able to take pics, since I like using mods, however, I dont want extra requirements that require extra mods, also, for LS in minmus base challenge, can I substitute snacks with USI LS(my preferred LS mod)

I'm starting to feel like I should be doing this in a Career save instead. It is after all, a bunch of missions. I think I'll start with the MinStation, and leave it there. Once I have the technology necessary to do that, I'll start working on the others. See you guys in 3 months, or more.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.