View apoapsis while piloting craft, PLEASE!

It would be very helpful if we could view in-flight statistics while piloting our crafts. I find it frustrating that I have to switch to map view to see what my apoapsis is. By the time I've maneuvered my mouse around to where I can actually see my apoapsis I occasionally by-pass my targeting apoapsis or I lose slight control of my craft. 

I understand there is a mod, Kerbal Engineer Redux that displays in-flight statistics. However the mod hasn't been updated in about a year. 

10 minutes ago, kevbot5 said:

It would be very helpful if we could view in-flight statistics while piloting our crafts. I find it frustrating that I have to switch to map view to see what my apoapsis is. By the time I've maneuvered my mouse around to where I can actually see my apoapsis I occasionally by-pass my targeting apoapsis or I lose slight control of my craft. 

I understand there is a mod, Kerbal Engineer Redux that displays in-flight statistics. However the mod hasn't been updated in about a year. 

It's one of several that does it.

It still works fine in 1.6.1.  Just because the thread title hasn't been changed, doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

I do agree it should be stock though.

30 minutes ago, kevbot5 said:

KER is still being updated by a different author who can’t change the thread title. I’m pretty sure it’s fully updated to 1.6.x if you just check the last couple of pages in the thread.

6 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I expect this to make it into the game in another 5 years or so.

Who knows? I mean, we just got a dV readout in stock, which nobody thought would ever be added to the game. For all we know, a stock Ap/Pe readout in stock could be coming in the next update.

@kevbot5 I highly recommend the Speed Unit Annex mod by flart.

It will show you apoapsis and periapsis in the window on the top of the navball once you reach about 30km up, or if you click the navball window to switch to orbital navigation mode. It also has options to display your time to Ap/Pe, target distance, and pitch, yaw and roll increments relative to a targeted docking port. It's very compact and unobtrusive; no extra windows cluttering up the screen, and is up to date with 1.6.1.

Edited by HvP

Kerbal Engineer is at the top of my list of the mods I think should be part of the stock game (PreciseNode and TransferWindowPlanner are two others that leap to mind).  One of the great things about it is you can easily configure your own custom HUD.  Here's mine. More stuff shows up if I have a maneuver node or a target or an impact.

KerbalEngineer.jpg

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

If you're trying to fly IVA, you know you can watch the ascending/descending speed needle and find the peri and apo as the two points where the gauge is reading zero. Just a thought. 

Yes, but it’s often quite difficult to fly from IVA, and having an orbital readout in flight view would be a lot easier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.