radial decouplers - for the love of dog.

Please please please make it easier to attach fuel tanks or boosters to radial decouplers. It seems to be VERY hit and miss on trying to place one of these objects right over a decoupler and have it attach to the tank instead of the decoupler... If I'm hovering my mouse over the decoupler, I'm pretty sure I want to attach this thing TO the decoupler.

49 minutes ago, Dropbear67 said:

Please please please make it easier to attach fuel tanks or boosters to radial decouplers. It seems to be VERY hit and miss on trying to place one of these objects right over a decoupler and have it attach to the tank instead of the decoupler... If I'm hovering my mouse over the decoupler, I'm pretty sure I want to attach this thing TO the decoupler.

Zoom in so that your camera view is inside of the tank (or other thing) you are attaching to the radial decoupler. Aim for the center of the decoupler. 

The same applies if after attaching, you want to move the decoupler (and its attached parts) then zoom into the attached part so you can see the decoupler. Grab it by its center.

1 hour ago, Dropbear67 said:

If I'm hovering my mouse over the decoupler, I'm pretty sure I want to attach this thing TO the decoupler.

If you're hovering the mouse over the decoupler it will attach to the decoupler. If it doesn't for you that's a bug.

If instead you are hovering the tank over the decoupler... don't do that. Place it with the mouse cursor and then move it with the move gizmo.

1 hour ago, Dropbear67 said:

Try using angle snap mode so it's more precise.

And as @5thHorseman said, try to aim with the mouse and not the tank itself, the selected point of the tank doesn't always align with the center or the side of the tank so it's better to use that. Plus if you're unsure if it properly attached, you can grab the decoupler and if the tank comes with, it's attached to the decoupler, if it stays put, it isn't. Course you can always use the offset tool to see if it drags that way too.

Having addressed that- I do think it would be efficient if there were 2 nodes on radial decouplers; an outward facing one perpendicular to the radial decoupler, and a downward facing one, parallel to the decoupler. So you can attach parts more precisely. This'll address my OCD about having parts centered on decouplers. Just an idea though.

Zooming in works, but the difficulty of placing tanks square on their decouplers is a common frustration.

I don't see an obvious way for Squad to make it easier, using the existing attachment mechanisms.  The green attachment nodes are not usually important when we are surface attaching, and we surface attach side-tanks to the decouplers.  Angle snap makes it possible to put the tank on squarely, but that still requires careful hunting of the correct attachment location.

Maybe there is some way under the hood, to let new players see more clearly when the tank is connecting to the decoupler, and not the parent tank; and to have it always attach square to the decoupler, not rotated around the decoupler as if the decoupler were cylindrical

58 minutes ago, Dropbear67 said:

Thank you for the tips... aiming with the mouse cursor helps. but I still maintain that it's harder than it needs to be..

I agree, it can be frustrating, but if they try to 'fix' it, it will probably have cascade effects that nobody predicted, and it would make other things worse.  

30 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I agree, it can be frustrating, but if they try to 'fix' it, it will probably have cascade effects that nobody predicted, and it would make other things worse.  

Not to mention all the players that have mastered it the way it is getting frustrated because it changed....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.