[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

@Gordon Fecyk I just finished converting JNSQ's celestial bodies PDF into wiki pages with nice banners. Some supplemental information is being added such as what Rational Resources templates are assigned to them, and trivia items that I create (after starting this wiki project) or that you discover/create (like the Ike Mohole), or confirm (from my writings, such as Dak's "potato with a siren's call") as you move along in your YouTube series. :)

https://github.com/Galileo88/JNSQ/wiki

1EMi72k.png

16 hours ago, Jognt said:

I feel both warm that that patch helped people out and slightly embarrassed for potentially giving people weird minmus-oceans to worry about later on. 

Glad it got spotted and figured out. :) 

On the plus side, with all the back and forth, next time someone reports it on the thread there will be a dozen or more people who remember it and can immediately help them. That's a bonus.

8 hours ago, mabdi36 said:

One question:

How the HECK am I supposed to escape Nara ? :) 

The only way I can think of is a SSTO that uses Breaking Ground props to get high enough the pressure is around 1ATM and then using traditional rocket engines/nukes to finish getting into orbit. That is how Stratzenblitz made a Jool surface level SSTO.

8 hours ago, mabdi36 said:

One question:

How the HECK am I supposed to escape Nara ? :) 

That's for you to figure out.  That's why Nara is there, an extreme challenge for some enterprising individual to conquer.

On 5/8/2020 at 8:32 AM, OhioBob said:

That's for you to figure out.  That's why Nara is there, an extreme challenge for some enterprising individual to conquer.

i believe i have another method. Hydrolox engines, and lots and lots and lots of intakes to get that sweet hydrogen atmosphere. You MAY be able to get resources fast enough to get out of the atmosphere, and from there you can go your own way.

On 5/7/2020 at 11:32 PM, OhioBob said:

I was thinking of using the Project Eeloo from NFAero to get around the problems of zero ISP and phenomenal drag by using the atmosphere itself as fuel. Admittedly it might not work with that much pressure, but I've splashed one down on Eve and it worked well enough there at 10atm so what's another 30? Project Eeloo can also switch to liquid hydrogen when the atmosphere gets too thin, but its efficiency is poor so a big high-efficiency nuclear engine from Kerbal Atomics would be required for the rest. And quite possibly a load of drop tanks to carry the extra hydrogen without making the plane too heavy to reach orbit.

I'm doing something similar to create an SSTO for Eve which has shown great promise but has a slight tendency to rip all the wings off when trying to maneuver at low altitudes. 

@mabdi36 & @jimmymcgoochie,

@Gordon Fecyk, has added hydrogen breathing engines to his Exploding Breathing Engines mod.  He did that at my request as I thought it might be a good solution to the Nara problem.  I haven't tried it out myself.

I also played around with the idea of a staged combustion aerospike engine.  Staged combustion engines operate very high combustion chamber pressures, like about 200 atmospheres.  With that much pressure they ought to work even on Nara, though with a considerable loss in performance.  The science behind it is real, though some people might consider it cheating.  I called the engine the Javelin.  It's just a simple config that clones the Dart and changes the stats.  If you want to try it, here it is...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zba8rneth3j9vw6/JavelinEngine.zip?dl=0

33 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

@mabdi36 & @jimmymcgoochie,

@Gordon Fecyk, has added hydrogen breathing engines to his Exploding Breathing Engines mod.  He did that at my request as I thought it might be a good solution to the Nara problem.  I haven't tried it out myself.

I also played around with the idea of a staged combustion aerospike engine.  Staged combustion engines operate very high combustion chamber pressures, like about 200 atmospheres.  With that much pressure they ought to work even on Nara, though with a considerable loss in performance.  The science behind it is real, though some people might consider it cheating.  I called the engine the Javelin.  It's just a simple config that clones the Dart and changes the stats.  If you want to try it, here it is...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zba8rneth3j9vw6/JavelinEngine.zip?dl=0

Yet another thing that could be used is the atomic jet in atomic age, or the mod that @linuxgurugamer made for its revival. The engine there does not need any fuel; it only needs the atmosphere itself. On another note, since you are the creator of BetterSrbs, would you know if it was compatible with kerbalism?

Edited by mabdi36

1 hour ago, mabdi36 said:

On another note, since you are the creator of BetterSrbs, would you know if it was compatible with kerbalism?

I don't know much about Kerbalism.  I have no idea how it might interact with BetterSRBs.

By the way, a long time ago I tried that Javelin engine on Nara and I was able to get to orbit using it.  But I just cheated the vessel into position for a test launch.  I didn't actually build something capable of both landing and then relaunching.

55 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Wouldn't balloons work well with an extremely dense atmosphere? Even empty tanks should float somewhere mid-air...

It would have to be a hot air balloon.  Nara's atmosphere is hydrogen-helium.  A helium balloon would sink, and a hydrogen balloon wouldn't have all that much buoyancy either.  But a hot air balloon would work pretty well.  Of course I'm speaking in terms of real life.  I don't know how balloon mods work.  They probably aren't all that sophisticated as far as the physics go.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:03 PM, OhioBob said:

It would have to be a hot air balloon.  Nara's atmosphere is hydrogen-helium.  A helium balloon would sink, and a hydrogen balloon wouldn't have all that much buoyancy either.  But a hot air balloon would work pretty well.  Of course I'm speaking in terms of real life.  I don't know how balloon mods work.  They probably aren't all that sophisticated as far as the physics go.

A hot air balloon likely wouldn't work due to the difference in molecular weight. It'd have to be a "hot hydrogen" balloon. Works the same way in a hydrogen atmo as hot air does in an "air" atmosphere. Helium is too problematic because it's so "slippery" it squeezes out through the spaces between atoms in the envelope material. Raising the temperature with Helium just makes the problem worse. Hydrogen doesn't have that issue, and in a H-He atmo, you don't have to worry about it going up like the Hindenberg when you heat it.

2 hours ago, panarchist said:

A hot air balloon likely wouldn't work due to the difference in molecular weight. It'd have to be a "hot hydrogen" balloon. Works the same way in a hydrogen atmo as hot air does in an "air" atmosphere.

By "air" I mean the air on Nara, i.e. hydrogen-helium (based on molecular weight, 80% H2 and 20% He).

9 hours ago, OhioBob said:

By "air" I mean the air on Nara, i.e. hydrogen-helium (based on molecular weight, 80% H2 and 20% He).

Got it. Yeah, it would have to be 100% hydrogen to have any real lift capacity. I'd love to simulate it, but someone would need to write a better buoyancy plugin - HL Airships isn't really built to handle that scenario. I keep toying with the idea of writing one, but it's likely to be beyond my skills.

I mean, HL airships might actually let you float in Nara's atmosphere, just not realistically.

1 minute ago, VoidCosmos said:

Yes. Remember to check this

I'm not too worried about part mods, since most of them are put for 1.8.1.

However, I'm worried about Scatterer and EVE. Does JNSQ have its own configs?

9 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

I'm not too worried about part mods, since most of them are put for 1.8.1.

However, I'm worried about Scatterer and EVE. Does JNSQ have its own configs?

Scatterer needs to be the latest one - it'll work fine with 1.8.1. JNSQ has configs for EVE - you just need the mod and not the configs.