[1.8.x-1.12.x] - RasterPropMonitor (adopted)

JonnyOThan

Hi! First, thanks for keeping this alive! :)

I just wanted to report that the Resources page on stock MFDs looks broken (at least to me: stock 1.12.3 + RPM).

But as it is a minor issue, I did't want to create a github issue just for that. But I would like to know: is it a known issue?

Just now, dueb said:

Hi! First, thanks for keeping this alive! :)

I just wanted to report that the Resources page on stock MFDs looks broken (at least to me: stock 1.12.3 + RPM).

But as it is a minor issue, I did't want to create a github issue just for that. But I would like to know: is it a known issue?

Can you define "looks broken?"  Maybe include a screenshot?

39 minutes ago, dueb said:

Sure:

Hide contents

L3sa15O.png

(as I said: it is a minor :D)

Are you talking about the empty lines?  I think that's just a consequence of how the page is set up - they're placeholders for when your ship has more than just 2 resources.  It *might* be possible to do some conditional formatting in the page text to clean that up but it's probably not worth the effort...especially since most people who use RPM would be using an ASET-based IVA which replaces that page entirely.  Have you tried DE_IVAExtension or KSA IVA Upgrade?

41 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Are you talking about the empty lines?

Yes, on older version of RPM (long time user), empty lines didn't display at all (i'm talking pre-KSP 1.3.x here).

Something changed, but not the Resources page. So, that tells me that's something internal to RPM that changed. But as you said, "probably not worth the effort"... ;) (Just wanted to report it.)

3 hours ago, dueb said:

Yes, on older version of RPM (long time user), empty lines didn't display at all (i'm talking pre-KSP 1.3.x here).

Something changed, but not the Resources page. So, that tells me that's something internal to RPM that changed. But as you said, "probably not worth the effort"... ;) (Just wanted to report it.)

Ah, now *that* is useful information. Something did indeed change with regards to the text formatting when the .net version was upgraded back in 1.8 or whenever.  There’s lots of examples of broken formatting now.  So if this used to work previously then it might be a matter of cleaning up the page’s formatting a bit.

41 minutes ago, dueb said:

Not likely.  This is the file that defines the text formatting for that page: https://github.com/JonnyOThan/RasterPropMonitor/blob/master/GameData/JSI/RPMPodPatches/BasicMFD/p6_resources40x20.txt

Ultimately this stuff gets fed to String.Format.  There were behavior changes in .NET that broke either the way this string is parsed or how String.Format actually works - I've seen this on other pages, e.g. the docking one: https://github.com/JonnyOThan/RasterPropMonitor/issues/37

Here's the docs on what the semicolons mean if you want to take a swing at it: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/base-types/custom-numeric-format-strings#SectionSeparator.  I suspect the problem might be that some of the "sections" are empty and might need to be replaced with "" or similar.

Edited by JonnyOThan

Oh, ok! I was just guessing after a quick look at it (trying to be helpful :D).

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look at it when I'll get some free time (at least, to learn).

3 hours ago, vikt2324 said:

I am curious if it is possible there is a plugin for BDA or RPM that can integrate the data displayed from radars, RWRs, targeting pods, etc on to RPM MFDs/screens?
(image for refference)7FUnQva.png

I’m not very familiar with BDArmory but I assume those windows are just a render texture. It probably wouldn’t take much effort to get them into a MFD page…just use the external camera as a template.

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, NippyFlippers said:

Hello, everyone! I have the problem that all the cameras have weird zoomed in FOV. I can zoom in an out, but the max I can zoom out still has a very narrow FOV/long focal length.

This happens on Hullcam parts and the standard camera which comes with this mod here.

LOG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbye2wia31px7zz/KSP.log?dl=0

screenshots would also be useful, so we can compare to what is "normal"

10 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

screenshots would also be useful, so we can compare to what is "normal"

You shall have a screenshot.

As you can see, the FOV should be much wider on the cockpit screen and was until recently. Now the camera only shows maybe a third of the angle of what it should.

0URkFmc.png

J8qH8QJ.png

8 hours ago, NippyFlippers said:

You shall have a screenshot.

As you can see, the FOV should be much wider on the cockpit screen and was until recently. Now the camera only shows maybe a third of the angle of what it should.

OK, so I don't think anything has actually changed here.  Are you sure that you weren't using the ASET MFDs previously?  Oddly enough, the camera FOV is set in the MFD, not in the part - so the preview in the VAB is a complete lie.  The RPM MFD has a max FOV of 20 degrees, and the ASET one is 90.  The preview in the VAB always uses 60 degrees.

I totally think it would make more sense to put the FOV in the partmodule itself, and make everything consistent.

1 hour ago, JonnyOThan said:

OK, so I don't think anything has actually changed here.  Are you sure that you weren't using the ASET MFDs previously?  Oddly enough, the camera FOV is set in the MFD, not in the part - so the preview in the VAB is a complete lie.  The RPM MFD has a max FOV of 20 degrees, and the ASET one is 90.  The preview in the VAB always uses 60 degrees.

I totally think it would make more sense to put the FOV in the partmodule itself, and make everything consistent.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is ASET MFD?

And yes, the FOV was definetly wider around 60° until a week ago, I am not sure what changed that.

Edited by NippyFlippers

3 minutes ago, NippyFlippers said:

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is ASET MFD?

And yes, the FOV was definetly wider around 60° until a week ago, I am not sure what changed that.

RasterPropMonitor hasn't had an update for over 2 months.  Maybe you were using MAS as well?

Edited by JonnyOThan

4 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

RasterPropMonitor hasn't had an update for over 2 months.  Maybe you were using MAS as well?

I don't know what MAS is either, so I'd carefully guess I did not use that.  I run 90+ mods, but mostly part mods and envrionmental enhancement mods. Nothing besides RasterProp that changes how stuf works.

4 minutes ago, NippyFlippers said:

I don't know what MAS is either, so I'd carefully guess I did not use that.  I run 90+ mods, but mostly part mods and envrionmental enhancement mods. Nothing besides RasterProp that changes how stuf works.

MAS is the successor/alternative to RPM: 

If you had MAS installed, the MFDs were probably converted to that system, which would use a totally different FOV.

The camera code in RPM hasn't been touched in over 2 years.  There are plenty of other plausible reasons why you'd see a sudden change, and it's all down to interactions with other mods.  But the way RPM handles the camera FOV is pretty weird, so I'm gonna fix that.

Edited by JonnyOThan

6 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

MAS is the successor/alternative to RPM: 

If you had MAS installed, the MFDs were probably converted to that system, which would use a totally different FOV.

Is there a way to change the MFDs by hand? Is it a file I can edit?

Oh, and I did not know that Raster Prop had a successor. Is switching recommended?

Edited by NippyFlippers

2 minutes ago, NippyFlippers said:

Is there a way to change the MFDs by hand? Is it a file I can edit?

Yes, but I'm also curious - you could use DE_IVAExtension which uses the ASET MFDs and is generally better than the RPM ones.  But if you want to use these IVA layouts, you could either write a patch to convert all MFDs to ASET ones or just edit the camera FOVs directly.  The fov limits are set in jsi\rpmpodpatches\basicmfd\mfd40x20.cfg on line 240.  The configuration for each camera is separated by a | character, and the two numbers are max, min fov.

8 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Yes, but I'm also curious - you could use DE_IVAExtension which uses the ASET MFDs and is generally better than the RPM ones.  But if you want to use these IVA layouts, you could either write a patch to convert all MFDs to ASET ones or just edit the camera FOVs directly.  The fov limits are set in jsi\rpmpodpatches\basicmfd\mfd40x20.cfg on line 240.  The configuration for each camera is separated by a | character, and the two numbers are max, min fov.

Thanks a ton! I justs edited the .cfg as you described.

Man, IVA mods are such a mess!

ZlxtP0C.png