Airships, cruise ships, and submarine colonies?

Fireheart318

Will it be possible to build colonies that aren’t on the ground/in space? For example, a very large boat that you can land rockets and planes on and move it around the ocean on Laythe? Or a balloon base that drifts about in Eve’s upper atmosphere?

Colonies are definitely awesome, but I’d like them to be super flexible and fun to build.

I might argue, you can do most of that now in KSP1; so why not in KSP2?

Now something like a floaty Bespin Cloud City on Jool would definitely be a departure from the norm! 

Edited by XLjedi

On 2/24/2020 at 6:27 PM, Fireheart318 said:

Will it be possible to build colonies that aren’t on the ground/in space? For example, a very large boat that you can land rockets and planes on and move it around the ocean on Laythe? Or a balloon base that drifts about in Eve’s upper atmosphere?

Colonies are definitely awesome, but I’d like them to be super flexible and fun to build.

Hello,

Yes all of this is possible with KSP and already existent mods.

To dive I use: Ballast Water Tanks

For Colonies: Civilian Population (from @linuxgurugamer) & USI Kolonization

For Airships: Hooligan Labs Airships

For life support: TACLS with USI Core and USI Tools

You will also need bussard aerial scoop to farm ore from air in airship.

To get ore from ocean: Stock-alike Mining Extension

In resume is just that, maybe something is missing, once I have 90 mods and used to use always will all, no limits :)

Edited by pmborg

12 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

The trailer and alpha footage show player built stations.

But the ones they show are on the ground, or in space. Hence his question.

I for one would like submarine colonies, and colonies floating on the surface of an ocean/lake.

I'm not sure how I feel about colonies floating in the atmosphere though...

22 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

I'm not sure how I feel about colonies floating in the atmosphere though...

I would love to be able to set up a balloon colony on Eve. The surface is uncomfortably hot anyway.

Or Jool...

3 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Not only do I hope for submarine bases...  I want an underwater base underneath a sheet of ice!  

Can you imagine a colony anchored upside down to a layer of ice?  

That would require a fundamentally different way of making planets. Right now they simply use a heightmap, which only allows 1 layer of terrain.

I'd like it, but I don't think it will happen.

15 hours ago, pmborg said:

Hello,

Yes all of this is possible with KSP and already existent mods.

To dive I use: Ballast Water Tanks

For Colonies: Civilian Population (from @linuxgurugamer) & USI Kolonization

For Airships: Hooligan Labs Airships

For life support: TACLS with USI Core and USI Tools

You will also need bussard aerial scoop to farm ore from air in airship.

To get ore from ocean: Stock-alike Mining Extension

In resume is just that, maybe something is missing, once I have 90 mods and used to use always will all, no limits :)

And In KSP2, for multi-player compatibility...

I'm guessing you'll be using none.

Just now, KerikBalm said:

That would require a fundamentally different way of making planets. Right now they simply use a heightmap, which only allows 1 layer of terrain.

What if ice sheets were nothing more than objects placed on the surface near a wall of ice.  No different really than a KSP runway object made to look like an iceberg.

It most certainly can be done!  ...it's just an interesting easter-egg type location to be found.  Like an arch on a moon.  I could probably build one right now for KSP1 and just add it to Kerbin with Kerbal Konstructs.

Edited by XLjedi

19 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

How hard would it be to allow layered terrain with multiple heightmaps stacked on top of each other? I understand why they're not using full 3D, that would get very complicated very fast but this sounds a lot more doable.

There would be lots of possibilities to build on it too. Kerbal Space Minecraft FTW!

20 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

What if ice sheets were nothing more than objects placed on the surface near a wall of ice.  No different really than a KSP runway object made to look like an iceberg.

It most certainly can be done!  ...it's just an interesting easter-egg type location to be found.  Like an arch on a moon.  I could probably build one right now for KSP1 and just add it to Kerbin with Kerbal Konstructs.

Well, I was thinking like ice sheets covering the entire northern pole of Kerbin.... small icebergs are not the same as ice sheets. To have large ice sheets like that, then large portions of a planets surface would be composed of placed objects, which I think is unlikely.

Just now, Brikoleur said:

How hard would it be to allow layered terrain with multiple heightmaps stacked on top of each other? I understand why they're not using full 3D, that would get very complicated very fast but this sounds a lot more doable.

There would be lots of possibilities to build on it too. Kerbal Space Minecraft FTW!

I don't know, I guess you'd need 1 heightmap for the ocean/cave floor, 1 for the bottom of the shelf/top of a cave, and 1 for the outer surface. One would also need to allow holes in each layer.

I'm sure it could be done, but the KSP2 team will need to do planets significantly differently, so I doubt it

Edited by KerikBalm

Just now, KerikBalm said:

Well, I was thinking like ice sheets covering the entire northern pole of Kerbin.... small icebergs are not the same as ice sheets. To have large ice sheets like that, then large portions of a planets surface would be composed of placed objects, which I think is unlikely.

I'd be happy for some randomly placed ice sheet objects about the size of the island base.  Although something as large as the overall footprint of the KSC area would also be easily doable, and that's pretty large.  My preference though would be for an actual separate layer, as you suggested.

There also needs to be some nice dormant volcanos for my secret base!   ...and hey, it there is some actual lava in there, I promise I won't sacrifice any kerbals to the kraken. <wink, wink>

Remember using an airship to send Jeb down to  the crunch depth on Jool. then I used an KAS winch to lower him down to the surface, he was unable to plant an flag as he just bumped around. Complained about this and in the next update the surface is gone. 
However this makes Jool transparent then you get close to the crunch depth, Yes you see moons on the other side of the planet who is weird. 

3 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Let's hope they use a better system then.

I kinda hope I can create monorail type systems to branch out to deposits or connect colonization areas too.  Maybe elevators to transition the side of cliffs and so forth.

That may be asking waaaay too much though.

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Let's hope they use a better system then.

You can hope, but realistically, I'm expecting most things to be done the same way as KSP, unless they've said otherwise/ said that they are reworking a particular aspect.

Ice sheets would be cool, and such a system also would allow for extensive caves. I'd love this feature, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

• 5 months later...

Ever since I joined the KSP community eight years ago, I've been begging for airship parts. There's been a mod or two, but never anything stock. So, eight years and a sequel later, will we finally be getting airships?

Think about the potential:

• Mobile high-altitude launch platforms or carriers
  • Floating bases and colonies, especially amazing on Jool or another gas giant
  • Slow but fuel-efficient and easy-to-control exploration and rescue

I'd love it if you'd be able to build your very own Airhaven, how else would you colonize a gas giant? :D

Or a floating / underwater base for a oceanic world!

Edited by Cyne