Should Certain Mods be Stock in KSP 2?

probe137

Should Certain Mods be Stock in KSP 2?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should certain mods be stock in KSP 2?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but not 1:1
    • I don't care

I made this topic because all the other ones like this are old enough for the 'This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.' warning. So I listened to it and created a new one.

Anyway, let's get to the topic.

Should mods be stock in KSP 2? Well, it depends on what mod it is. Weaponry mods like BDArmory or North Kerbin Dynamic Renewed should stay as being mods, but mods like the Near Future Technologies mods, Knes and Restock+ would be useful with their parts stock, and could also be expanded on. 

List of other mods I would like to see stock:

KISKAS and EVS (Easy Vessel Switch)

RCS Build Aid

SCANsat

Mark IV Spaceplane System

Persistent Thrust

Undockinator

Science Pancake (2.5m materials bay)

Kerbal Planetary Base Systems

KER

Docking Port Alignment Indicator

The Omen Pack (But have Omen in a different solar system)

Mk1-Cabin-Hatch

Comment some other mods you might find useful as stock. (If you want certain mods to be stock) 

Edited by probe137
Made voter names public

I voted no, why? Most of the listed mods will have stock counterparts designed from scratch without the constraints of the original mod.

Example:

Near Future: the game is already set in the Near Kerbal Future and the Devs stated so, we'll have a lot of new technologies most of which are already represented in mods like Near Future and Interstellar, but I don't think the Devs should ever do a 1:1 port of said mods.

Kerbal Planetary Base Systems: is a perfect expansion for KSP1's "everything is build in the VAB and nowhere else", but with the BAE confirmed for KSP2 I don't think there will be the need for rigid monolithic habitats, bases are built in place and, even in the case of some rigid modules landed separately you wouldn't want to put them on wheels and docking them like stations, you just bring a system to build connections and extensions in place after they landed.

So yes, I want a lot of features that now are mods realm but I don't want any mod asset or design to be 1:1 ported to the game.

Mechjeb, KAS, BDArmory would be hilarious but just as a mod. Would like to see something similar to Space engineers who set up a website, similar to KerbalX and went through hoops to get it allowed for Xbox, put major mods and, integrate KerbalX into said website.

Mods? No. The functionality that mods provide? Yes.

An integrated autopilot system for both planes and rockets with manoeuvre creation (and execution would be nice), and at least steering assistance for ascents and descents, would be a valuable tool in KSP2. I haven’t used the majority of MechJeb’s functions and see no need for the parts, but things like rendezvous and docking are best left to the computer to crunch the numbers.

Mapping from orbit would also be useful but without the complication of multiple parts for each type of scan- one part for doing radar scans for terrain mapping and one for visual/biome scans would be sufficient. Surface operations (for resource gathering and colony building) will be a big part of KSP2 so knowing that there was a nice flat area within easy reach of several biomes and valuable resources would be of great benefit.

I recently started using KIS and KAS and while they’re useful in some cases they also have some irritating flaws (cardboard box takes up 3l of space, holds 750l of stuff, can put 16 full boxes inside another identical box :confused:). A stock implementation of an inventory based system or the ability to attach and detach parts to existing vessels- with angle snap and a bit of clipping into other parts, neither of which KAS can do- would be useful up to a point, but since much of the later stages of a ‘career’ will be based on building craft from colonies or space stations it would be logical to assume that they could be refitted there using the VAB/SPH editors, making it easier and faster than the long and laborious process needed with KIS/KAS.

Without seeing all the new stock parts being added and the revamps to the existing ones, it’s hard to say what else might be “needed” from the current set of KSP mods, and besides which your set of ‘vital’ mods will probably look considerably different to mine and so on.

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

but things like rendezvous and docking are best left to the computer to crunch the numbers.

It's a bit OT but I would suggest to invest that 20 minutes in learning to do that manually, it's literally all it takes and it would absurdly enhance your experience with the game once you get the hang of it.

I really hope they opt for a good tutorial instead of the easy way of giving you automation from the start, but I absolutely love the fact that they confirmed automation for routine flights.

I'd like to see the area outside the handcrafted local group follow along the lines of what "To Boldly Go" does.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Master39 said:

I really hope they opt for a good tutorial instead of the easy way of giving you automation from the start, but I absolutely love the fact that they confirmed automation for routine flights.

When they spoke of automation for routine flights I got the vibe that craft wouldn't actually be flying but instead resources would just be transferred with delays and in packets

7 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

When they spoke of automation for routine flights I got the vibe that craft wouldn't actually be flying but instead resources would just be transferred with delays and in packets

Me too, but since we're talking about rendezvous and docking it's more or less the same depending on how powerful the system is (just resources? Kerbals? Parts? Craft "kits"?)

Just now, Master39 said:

Me too, but since we're talking about rendezvous and docking it's more or less the same depending on how powerful the system is (just resources? Kerbals? Parts? Craft "kits"?)

My assumption is docking and rendezvous will largely remain unchanged with maybe some QOL features to ease the process. But who knows, maybe that can be automated a la Mechjeb stock

35 minutes ago, Master39 said:

t's a bit OT but I would suggest to invest that 20 minutes in learning to do that manually, it's literally all it takes and it would absurdly enhance your experience with the game once you get the hang of it.

Ha, speak for yourself. I've been playing for years and it still takes me 45min to a hour to rendezvous and dock manually. 

Some sort of automation for maneuvers and atmospheric autopilot would be nice to have stock. Something like KER could be handy. A stock implementation of something similar to MM would be a huge boon for tinkerers and modders. 

For mapping and expanded sciences, that should be stock. Unless you want a different look for bases, base mods really isn't necessary.

2 hours ago, Master39 said:

It's a bit OT but I would suggest to invest that 20 minutes in learning to do that manually, it's literally all it takes and it would absurdly enhance your experience with the game once you get the hang of it.

I could do it myself, or I could press some buttons and let the computer do it for me, faster and more efficiently than I could, with six different vessels at the same time, while I check if the food I put in the oven earlier is edible yet and if so, eat it.

6 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I could do it myself, or I could press some buttons and let the computer do it for me, faster and more efficiently than I could, with six different vessels at the same time, while I check if the food I put in the oven earlier is edible yet and if so, eat it.

I never argued against automation of repetitive launches, it's a welcomed feature that enables for better and more complex infrastructure and gameplay mechanics. I argued against giving automation to beginners instead of giving them a tutorial on how certain things work.

Also, I can understand a computer being significantly faster and more efficient at doing rendezvous, but docking? Unless you're constantly docking giant vessels with terrible RCS placement it can't be all that different than doing it manually.

I voted no.

There are several KSP1 mods that I would like stock 'versions' of, or features from them, in stock KSP2, but to just take 'mod x' and copy it into stock is not the right approach IMO.

I think any stock implementation of features that any given mod has would be done differently (whether it's better or not is very subjective and personal though).

1 hour ago, Master39 said:

Also, I can understand a computer being significantly faster and more efficient at doing rendezvous, but docking? Unless you're constantly docking giant vessels with terrible RCS placement it can't be all that different than doing it manually.

The computer can deal with the inherent drift that the vessels do in orbit better. 

2 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

The computer can deal with the inherent drift that the vessels do in orbit better. 

Never had a problem with drift but, again, I think there's some time needed to get used to these maneuers instead of immediately searching for an automation alternative.

This is all reinforcing my idea that some automation should be present but down the line and not at the beginning.

2 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Idk about this, but in my experience with docking any "Drift" is either the result of attempting to dock earlier than orbital parameters would allow or a lack of control authority. 

Or lack of proper positional info relative to the target on all 3 axis. I can't eyeball that in a third person perspective and I can't tell the distance using the docking camera trick.

23 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Never had a problem with drift but, again, I think there's some time needed to get used to these maneuers instead of immediately searching for an automation alternative.

This is all reinforcing my idea that some automation should be present but down the line and not at the beginning.

I've played about a year before I found MJ. In that time I when from over an hour to dock to about 25-30 mins. My docking time and the frustration levels haven't improved much since 2014. Docking is one of the few things that will cause me to rage quit KSP.

1 minute ago, shdwlrd said:

Or lack of proper positional info relative to the target on all 3 axis. I can't eyeball that in a third person perspective and I can't tell the distance using the docking camera trick.

I've played about a year before I found MJ. In that time I when from over an hour to dock to about 25-30 mins. My docking time and the frustration levels haven't improved much since 2014. Docking is one of the few things that will cause me to rage quit KSP.

To be fair; even IRL we don't xD

I even "Cheat" by using the probe cores to target the docking ports, but that only works if i get the encounter just right.

So i get it; i was just kinda curious about your experiences for the most part. And i couldn't ever figure out how to use MJ personally, so i just got good at doing it with the probe cores/LVL3 pilots.

I'd be rather shocked if they didn't have some kind of automation in KSP2 though; they've already mentioned it for colony operations.

On 10/1/2020 at 6:43 PM, Master39 said:

Kerbal Planetary Base Systems: is a perfect expansion for KSP1's "everything is build in the VAB and nowhere else", but with the BAE confirmed for KSP2 I don't think there will be the need for rigid monolithic habitats, bases are built in place and, even in the case of some rigid modules landed separately you wouldn't want to put them on wheels and docking them like stations, you just bring a system to build connections and extensions in place after they landed.

Well it could be used for early-game bases. You could also use them as rovers due to the fact that they can have wheels.

9 hours ago, probe137 said:

Well it could be used for early-game bases. You could also use them as rovers due to the fact that they can have wheels.

Even early game the bases should be "the martian" style and I hope that that's the case.

You send the base as a disassembled kit and then mount it on site.