It’s Stuck! The Evergreen Ever Given Suez blockage thread

DDE

2 hours ago, DDE said:

Did they not have an even smaller shovel?

The excavator is actually decently sized. You will not get significantly larger outside of mines and similar, that is the size used for construction and road work as you can easy transport it. 
The ship is very large however. 

3 hours ago, magnemoe said:

The excavator is actually decently sized. You will not get significantly larger outside of mines and similar, that is the size used for construction and road work as you can easy transport it. 
The ship is very large however. 

I'm going to agree on this--The long-reach boom just makes it look spindly.

Because I'm unbearably nerdy, I found a high-res photo and determined it's a Komatsu. It looks like an early 90's PC220LC-5. Those are 25-ton class, so comfortably mid-sized. I got to drive a 35-ton once and it was a monster. (I also saw the operator pull a lit cigarette out of a guy's mouth without breaking it. He was VERY good. :D )

The dredged shipping lane is on the opposite bank from the Ever Given's bow.  Estimates say at least 1/3 of the length of the ship is aground and the water is not very deep all around it.   Costs of blocking the Canal now over 31 billion dollars.

This one is going to be way hard to fix.

Website to keep track whether the ship is still stuck in the Suez Canal.

https://istheshipstillstuck.com/

Edited by Jacke

8 minutes ago, Jacke said:

The dredged shipping lane is on the opposite bank from the Ever Given's bow.  Estimates say at least 1/3 of the length of the ship is aground and the water is not very deep all around it.   Costs of blocking the Canal now over 31 billion dollars.

This one is going to be way hard to fix.

Website to keep track whether the ship is still stuck in the Suez Canal.

https://istheshipstillstuck.com/

So its one deep section at one side, I expected the center to be in the center, are they in the process of expanding it? Read that they worked on an second canal on part of it. 
Read they use an sort of convoy system as one group of ships past in one direction then another in opposite, ships is arranged so warships is first then cruise ships, container ships, bulk ships and last smaller stuff from coastal freighters to fishing boats and sail boats. 
Kind of in an reliability rating and if some of the small stuff get problems the others can easy evade and if they run aground it don't affect operation much, did not work this time. 

Think the PS4 release was affected by something similar. Sony had to airlift lots of consoles and I think some was unloaded in Dubai or other places in Arabia and flown out. 

Cost of blockage, no its not the value of the cargo as its not damaged, just delayed, yes if you make some stuff and wait for parts you have problems. Customers might cancel delayed orders.  
Some ships has decided to go around Africa instead but this add fuel use. 

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Let them declare the cargo officially lost and can be taken for free.

A day later the ship, which makes the channel constipated, will get twice lighter.

You are not joking. 

Give it another week and most of the hull will be gone, too

7 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

You are not joking. 

Give it another week and most of the hull will be gone, too

I wonder if it will be the lesser loss for the owners, too.

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

When do they change the name from EVER GIVEN to EVER STUCK?

They can be more creative than that. Build some ramps, pave over it, It's now the "Sinai-Cairo Express Causeway". Charge a toll.

58 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

165949069_897732231059948_69592228278857

Curious to know who else actually recognizes these guys... ?

That's Relic and Nick. :)

And I think a 20,000 TEU freighter might be a bit beyond their skill. :)

5 hours ago, DDE said:

From 1967 to 1975, fifteen ships and their crews were trapped

Actually, sixteen.
One was submerged and not visible.

Spoiler

202587995.jpg

(1968-1969)

6 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Stranded Suez container ship reported freed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56559904

Lubricated and pushed?
That's what the mentioned pickup is for.

Edited by kerbiloid

14 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Well.... this was a short lived thread. 

LOL. But the memes it spawned will live forever!

They for it freed sooner than I expected. But given the impact it was having, I’m sure all the King’s horses and all the King’s  men were there by now...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.