Mod/Feature idea- Extreme Weather

Now, this has been suggested before. Yes, it can cause problems on lower-end computers. maybe it's better off as a mod, so for any modders out there, maybe you can make something like this?

Now, Weather is a major part of spaceflight. Dust Storms, Strong Winds, and more can cause problems for all sorts of craft. Here are some weather concepts, both Extreme, and not:

Sun
Near-sun spacecraft may be hit with solar flares, shutting down electronics temporarily (I think something else causes this, but Solar Flares is all I can remember atm)

Moho
Moho is close to the sun, where asteroids tend to break up. This causes dangerous meteor showers that can damage or destroy buildings.

Eve
Eve's atmosphere creates wind storms. "Wind" is represented by a random small force pushing on a part of a vessel. This force increases the further up you are, so while rovers may not be toppled aircraft will struggle. This also obscures visibility.

Gilly
gilly doesn't get effects

Kerbin
Kerbin has a variety of environments, which should have their own conditions
Grasslands, Mountains
Rain and Snowstorms can both occur here, with the exception that only snowstorms appear on Mountains. These storms don't affect craft in any way other then visibility
In rare cases, Lightning will also be present in these storms. Lightning can disable electronics for 1-3 seconds.

Islands
Tropical Storms around islands can happen, causing rain and lightning. Wind is also present, also interfering with aircraft.
Increased chance of regular rain.

Desert
Dust storms that obscure vision and block out solar panels.

Mun
The mun doesn't have any special effects

Minmus
Still nothing

Duna
Days-long dust storms block solar panels and obscure vision

Ike
random spacecraft trying to get to Duna constantly crash into the surface Ike gets nothing

Dres
Dres gets random meteor strikes that damage or destroy parts

Jool
Jool has strong winds, possibly strong enough to destroy weaker craft.

Laythe
Laythe has tropical storms, causing rain, wind, and lightning, as well as regular storms. Fog can also appear, obscuring vision.

I can't think of anything else for the remaining planets or moons.

PARTS
A variety of parts would be added:
-Laser Turret
A small turret that uses Energy. It shoots down incoming meteors, protecting craft

-Lightning Rod
A simple, low-cost solution to storms. Putting this on the highest section of a craft protects it from lightning strikes

-Weather Prediction Camera:
A small satellite dish with a built-in camera. Craft with this part in orbit of a planet can predict incoming weather effects up a day before they happen, and where exactly they will happen

-Storm Analyzer
A device that, when within a rain cloud, snow cloud, lightning cloud, tropical storm, or even simply the atmosphere of jool, produces science related to the weather effects

-Dust Net
A device that catches blown-around dust from dust storms for further analysis of soil composition. provides small amounts of science.

2 hours ago, ILikeMods said:

I think something else causes this, but Solar Flares is all I can remember atm

You're thinking of geomagnetic storms caused by coronal mass ejections; those only happen in extreme close proximity to planets with a magnetic field.

Regular solar flares are more dangerous to astronauts than electronics (radiation sickness and cancer risk), although they can cause issues with electronics too (charged particle happens to pass through a chip, a RAM bit or two may randomly get flipped and cause the computer to crash from sudden nonsensical data; this happened to Curiosity once, but NASA weren't stupid and put two computers into the rover just in case one dies).

Edited by Fraktal

Great idea, even without the weather effects the idea that different planets can cause different problems is interesting and gives some variety.

5 hours ago, Weak Player said:

@FruitGoose the fps could die if you have custom weather effects running all over the planet

Yes, I mean have the consequences of the effects without the actual visuals/fx (obviously only works for certain things like the solar flare idea or lightning strikes idea). 

I could suggest some other things.

Moho: small patches of glowing rock due to over heating.

Eve: giant storms, strong winds, clouds, and hurricanes

Gilly: lumpy?

Kerbin: clouds, storms, winds, snow storms, hurricanes, cloudy days

Mun: rare occurrence of meteor strikes.

Minmus: very very rare occurrences of meteor strikes. 

Duna: duststroms,

Ike: rare meteor occurrences

Dres: frequent meteor impacts

Jool: asteroid flybys or collisions, storms, clouds

Laythe: hurricanes, storms, clouds, winds, 

Tylo: rare meteor impacts

Vall: cryovolcanoes 

Bop: nothing

Pol: land slides

Eeloo: cryovolcanoes , glaciers, very thin atmosphere at pe, no atmosphere at ap

7 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

I could suggest some other things.

Moho: small patches of glowing rock due to over heating.

Eve: giant storms, strong winds, clouds, and hurricanes

Gilly: lumpy?

Kerbin: clouds, storms, winds, snow storms, hurricanes, cloudy days

Mun: rare occurrence of meteor strikes.

Minmus: very very rare occurrences of meteor strikes. 

Duna: duststroms,

Ike: rare meteor occurrences

Dres: frequent meteor impacts

Jool: asteroid flybys or collisions, storms, clouds

Laythe: hurricanes, storms, clouds, winds, 

Tylo: rare meteor impacts

Vall: cryovolcanoes 

Bop: nothing

Pol: land slides

Eeloo: cryovolcanoes , glaciers, very thin atmosphere at pe, no atmosphere at ap

I considered Hurricanes but I didn't know how one would make that work

No, since if u dont have these parts unlocked, it could easily trash your spacecraft and ruin your mission, this belongs in something like kerbalisim, not, all players need to deal with ships having the chance of being randomly destroyed, also, i dont like the idea that you cant build in certain locations due to location specific disasters, unless theres something like a shield generator(protects from everything but seismic events) and seismic stabilizers, well, then its moreso punishing that a fun mechanic

11 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

No, since if u dont have these parts unlocked, it could easily trash your spacecraft and ruin your mission, this belongs in something like kerbalisim, not, all players need to deal with ships having the chance of being randomly destroyed, also, i dont like the idea that you cant build in certain locations due to location specific disasters, unless theres something like a shield generator(protects from everything but seismic events) and seismic stabilizers, well, then its moreso punishing that a fun mechanic

I tried to avoid adding disasters that are both unavoidable and would ruin the mission. Having all systems turned off for a few seconds likely wouldn't ruin missions, and you can easily drive out of the way of meteor strikes. I also never suggested Earthquakes.

maybe this, but instead of visuals its text popping up and a random change for certain parts to be destroyed/made less effective, and if you had things like the ore scanner yu could detect these things around 10 days before they happened to so u could prepare

This would create an incentive to make other bases instead of just 1, incase a base gets destroyed

Honestly, I think this is a bad idea, since it again, can just blow up some 2 million fund base that took you several hours to set up, also, its not like you can MOVE it if it doesnt have wheels, its just screwed.

Now, if its a temporary base, where it will lose LS ability or something after a certain time(or power supply) just use the launcher intended to send you home to get into space but load on extra LS or something.

There was a discussion like this on the KSP2 section, and like others pointed out, it would inevitably result into a random failure generator and waiting for the right weather.

There's a good reason space launches are postponed due to weather. You just don't launch under rain, snow or heavy wind.

On 5/2/2021 at 3:24 PM, kspnerd122 said:

Honestly, I think this is a bad idea, since it again, can just blow up some 2 million fund base that took you several hours to set up, also, its not like you can MOVE it if it doesnt have wheels, its just screwed.

Now, if its a temporary base, where it will lose LS ability or something after a certain time(or power supply) just use the launcher intended to send you home to get into space but load on extra LS or something.

okay, well I disagree

On 5/3/2021 at 9:38 AM, Jack Mcslay said:

There was a discussion like this on the KSP2 section, and like others pointed out, it would inevitably result into a random failure generator and waiting for the right weather.

There's a good reason space launches are postponed due to weather. You just don't launch under rain, snow or heavy wind.

Which is why I tried to make the effects minor or avoidable

On 4/28/2021 at 11:42 PM, Weak Player said:

the fps could die if you have custom weather effects running all over the planet

Maybe if this added as a feature, there should be a way to disable it/alter it in the settings if you have a slower computer or just don't want the weather. 

still, meteor storms that destroy parts are NOT minor, that is enough to trash a base, again, if theres a dust storm, just pop ur panels open and wait for the sun, u will be fine, losing control is kinda iffy, you would need to make it so it cant occur when landing(since if it happened while landing and ur chutes arent already open, or on a airless world, its a death sentence)

Ships moving due to wind, I could easily see players being frustrated with their stuff being moved without them wanting to move it.

(also, depending on how the force is applied, it may tip a lander over, and on duna or laythe, if ur lander tips over, ur stuck for the most part)

I think you’d need (a) a part to detect anything that could cause problems and (b) a part that counteracts anything that causes problems. That way it’s like using a scanner to find ore and using a heat shield for reentry ie puts the player in control/allows them to design their way out of trouble. Nothing should get destroyed though, too extreme for me.

idea guy here:

Maybe some sort of kraken powered forcefields to protect yourself from incoming weather

So if the weather is trackable you can see meteor showers like 2 years in advance cuz of orbital tracking,  dust storms on duna and wind storm on laythe could be tracked maybe like 30 day7s in advance and cryovolcanoes on vall could only be tracked 5 days in advance, but would only be in certain spots around vall. maybe eve cyclones or CME's from kerbol could happen but i think those would be too OP

Like say on duna, if you track a storm that'll hit you in 10 days you have time to set up forcefields and stuff, add extra shielding while youre building it and try to survive the storm

Or in a CME from kerbol you could have special shields/collectors so if you are running low on energy you can wait for a CME and collect some, as long as you dont fry yourself

Maybe some sort of airship parts to float above eveian storms

im good at makin ideas

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.