ESA is hiring new astronauts - has anyone here applied?

michal.don

22 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

I could mayyybe apply in the future, since I also live in a major ESA-member state, but I think I will go into the astronomy direction later in my life

I live in the US, am still too young, and am thinking more along the lines of aerospace engineering as a career rather than actually being an astronaut. 

7 minutes ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

I live in the US, am still too young, and am thinking more along the lines of aerospace engineering as a career rather than actually being an astronaut. 

I'm also too young sadly, though that means that I can still think about what I will do later in my life, either rocket engineer stuff or astronomy stuff, specified in extrasolar stuff like neutron stars and black holes

The Project Scientist for OSIRIS-REx also plays KSP and is active on the forum as @IonStorm. Incidentally, Dr. Brian May of Queen is also involved in the project, IIRC.

Astronaut Scott Kelly has also played KSP while being interviewed by Lee Hutchinson of Arstechnica.com

Edited by StrandedonEarth

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The Project Scientist for OSIRIS-REx also plays KSP and is active on the forum as @IonStorm. Incidentally, Dr. Brian May of Queen is also involved in the project, IIRC.

Astronaut Scott Kelly has also played KSP while being interviewed by Lee Hutchinson of Arstechnica.com

Hi, I got hooked from one of Scott Manley's KSP videos in 2011 since I was following him due to his wonderful asteroid orbit visualizations, though I'm a sloppy KSP player myself.  @Jasonden is a deputy PI for Dragonfly and he plays KSP and is active on the forums.   

Brian May likes making stereo pairs.  This one from two images at different times from the same camera was a challenge for him to make, but is informative https://www.asteroidmission.org/stereopair/ 

My PhD is in biochemistry, but I apply it to planetary science.  I've never been to space but did have the amazing opportunity to briefly work with Kate Rubins on the DNA sequencer on the ISS and talk with Leland Melvin about research, but I didn't ask him about his dogs.  Starting your journey to space research or technology at a young age is awesome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.