Show and Tell - Tutorial Shader Test

StarSlay3r

10 hours ago, Wubslin said:

Very interesting!

h5blkHZ.png

Also noted that the devs have abandoned the seven segment display motif. That's a shame, because that was finally starting to grow on me after all. Good to see the roll indicators and semi-transparent backing are still there though.

Here's hoping mods can also change the UI.

6 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

Yep, that's still a very high priority for us.

Oh, jolly good.

Can't wait to fly my ship using controllers that read out in: 

* Digital

* Roller dials

* Analogue needle mach gauge

* 7-seg liquid crystal displays

* Split flaps

* Nixie tubes

* Conway's Game of Life sims

* Japanese synchro-walking

* Skyrim handwritten notes

* etc

Edited by starcaptain

@Nate SimpsonI've been thinking, and I think the ideal location for the altimeter is bottom centre, because you will always look down when landing, so it would be pretty obvious, and I also recommend you make it a bit bigger. 

Anyways, great work, this show and tell had me bouncing off the walls! :D

4 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

@Nate SimpsonI've been thinking, and I think the ideal location for the altimeter is bottom centre, because you will always look down when landing, so it would be pretty obvious, and I also recommend you make it a bit bigger. 

Anyways, great work, this show and tell had me bouncing off the walls! :D

He's talked about this specifically and the reason they moved it is so it doesn't obstruct your view as you land.

I see some wobbly physics, I hope junctions will get a bit more rigid at release.

While I think some wobbliness is fun when you're messing around or learning the game,  it does get in the way of the player when you actually want to accomplish some goals.

Back to the topic, I think the shader looks nice, maybe a bit too "strong" when the debris are flying everywhere. The new launch pad looks great, and helps make the KSC infrastructure feel more grounded (I also like the choice of placing the other buildings further away from the launch site). Are these functionnal walkways I see on the tower?:o

Edited by Truebadour

3 minutes ago, Truebadour said:

I see some wobbly physics, I hope junctions will get a bit more rigid at release.

While I think some wobbliness is fun when you're messing around or learning the game,  it does get in the way of the player when you actually want to accomplish some goals.

Back to the topic, I think the shader looks nice, maybe a bit too "strong" when the debris are flying everywhere. The new launch pas looks great, and helps make the KSC infrastructure feel more grounded (I also like the choice of placing the other buildings further away from the launch site). Are these functionnal walkways I see on the tower?:o

It looks better than the noodle rocket we saw in the 1st gameplay trailer and looks similar to the rigidity of KSP 1, which is what I think they're going for. I will agree that the shader is a tad "strong" and shiny to a point of looking a bit cartoonish like fall guys or splatoon

14 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

It looks better than the noodle rocket we saw in the 1st gameplay trailer and looks similar to the rigidity of KSP 1, which is what I think they're going for.

You're right, the Gamescom 19 (or was it PAX?) videos were showing rockets with earthworm flexibility properties. I also assume they're going for a wobbliness factor similar to KSP 1, that's why I still think it's a bit too much (but that's a personal opinion).

@Nate Simpson I noticed that the fire from the explosion seems to disappear and a second plume of black smoke emanates from the ground separately to cover the fire effect as it fades out. If I could suggest.. Instead of having the fire effect disappear, have it fade from fire red and orange to black as that would resemble a fuel explosion better as well as reduce the amount of effects needed to be generated when things explode in an atmosphere.

A reference:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Sky Kerman said:

so whats the blue lines for?

I think it's to demonstrate that it's in simulation mode

On 9/3/2021 at 1:12 PM, Nate Simpson said:

This flight HUD is entirely deprecated and an all-new one is already underway. As always, a lot of systems are being developed in parallel, and they don't all come online at the same time. I feel really good about the direction the HUD is headed, and it's influenced in many ways by community feedback around the previous version. 

Aw man, it was starting to grow on me! Still, you guys know best...can’t wait to see the newer HUD!

also-

YEs YES YES YES YESSSSSSS

THAT’s SO KOOL!!!!!!

On 9/3/2021 at 2:12 PM, Nate Simpson said:

This flight HUD is entirely deprecated and an all-new one is already underway. As always, a lot of systems are being developed in parallel, and they don't all come online at the same time. I feel really good about the direction the HUD is headed, and it's influenced in many ways by community feedback around the previous version. 

6Jnf1Tv.jpg

Edited by funnelton

On 9/3/2021 at 11:17 AM, Wubslin said:

Aw man, I was actually in love with the new navball arrangement you guys had set up. I even play KSP 1 with my navball scooched all the way to the left next to my orbital info window, though I do seem to be in the minority on liking it that way. The navball is at least staying on the left side of the screen, right?  I'm looking forward to hearing about whatever changes have been made.

they'll probably keep the option of being able to resize and move the gui elements(fingers crossed)

On 9/4/2021 at 2:52 AM, mcwaffles2003 said:

He's talked about this specifically and the reason they moved it is so it doesn't obstruct your view as you land.

maybe they will set it so the camera focuses on the bottommost part oft the rocket, so that landing large ships is easier.

I see the outlines look a lot like really old CGI of 3D shapes, but it feels odd with the textures being modern. My unsolicited opinion is to take the textures and effects down to practically nothing, while maintaining the outline/wireframe 1980's CGI look. That way, people can practice the physics without losing the "cool factor" of the more realistic graphics  when they do the maneuver for real. Also, this would allow landing and orbit insertion practice for a planet without spoiling the visual coolness when you actually do it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.