So I tried to change some part models...

So, I downloaded a mod (I assume though that this doesn't change anything about the rescaling process) and was trying to rescale something.  I wanted it to be bigger to be able to hold all the cargo I needed it to.  I went into the config file for the part and saw the handy parameter;  RescaleFactor.   I quickly set it to 2 and went to load up my game again.     Once in it though, I found all my nodes had disappeared!!  :o    I figured out that it was because the nodes didn't scale with the rescale factor.     I then tried to open the part model and edit the node positions, and quickly found out I couldn't do it/understand a single thing about part modeling.  

Then I remembered that the internet existed.  I googled my problem and found this thread: 

I think that the answer I am looking for is somewhere in this thread, but I am just to stupid to understand it.  :confused:     If anybody could tell me what values I have to change and by what amount to put the nodes back where they belong it would be much appreciated.    

(Using Tundra Exploration and trying to scale the Starship Cargo Bay to 1.5 so I can fit more inside it.)

P.S.  I am also rescaling the whole craft so that it fits and matches up with the Cargo Bay part.

12 hours ago, Tundra said:

So, I downloaded a mod (I assume though that this doesn't change anything about the rescaling process) and was trying to rescale something.  I wanted it to be bigger to be able to hold all the cargo I needed it to.  I went into the config file for the part and saw the handy parameter;  RescaleFactor.   I quickly set it to 2 and went to load up my game again.     Once in it though, I found all my nodes had disappeared!!  :o    I figured out that it was because the nodes didn't scale with the rescale factor.     I then tried to open the part model and edit the node positions, and quickly found out I couldn't do it/understand a single thing about part modeling.  

Then I remembered that the internet existed.  I googled my problem and found this thread: 

I think that the answer I am looking for is somewhere in this thread, but I am just to stupid to understand it.  :confused:     If anybody could tell me what values I have to change and by what amount to put the nodes back where they belong it would be much appreciated.    

(Using Tundra Exploration and trying to scale the Starship Cargo Bay to 1.5 so I can fit more inside it.)

P.S.  I am also rescaling the whole craft so that it fits and matches up with the Cargo Bay part.

First off. Always create a new part using the config, never just change the original because if you make a mistake you will have to reload a copy of the original config to see what you did wrong. You want to give it a new name in the "name = " line so that it is seen as a different part. You also have to make sure it uses MODEL rather "mesh =" as no matter what you put using "mesh =" it will always use the first alphabetical *.mu in the folder it is in.

Using the Mod "Tweakscale" is an easier option if you are just recaling parts.

You should look through mods that use configs to make use of stock parts to make new parts like "SXT" and "Mk2 Expansion" and my very first mod "Working Underwater Lite" to see examples of set outs and syntax.

rescaleFactor =  usually rescales the nodes with the model size change so did you make sure that you wrote it exactly the way it was first set out?

Did you mess with the "scale =" line at all?

You may want to look through my old thread that has many config examples to make new things too. Just to get an idea of set outs etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!  Apparently, parts that are in a save don't have their nodes rescaled, only their textures.  (Even if you try to pick them up and replace them)     So now I have to rebuild my 570 part craft with new parts that are rescaled properly.

Sigh

1 hour ago, Tundra said:

So now I have to rebuild my 570 part craft with new parts that are rescaled properly.

I feel your pain, bro… I once screwed up one of the scale exponents of TweakScale on my development branch - I changed the whole freaking game without being aware (I think it was mass, but I'm not sure…). Only realised the mistake after a whole night of playing Career ("eat your own dogfood!"), when I tried an already proved Lander from another savegame on Mün and the damned thing touched down as a dino killer asteroid.

I ditched the whole savegame. :D 

Another question relating to this:   Is there some value or something that I would change that would fix the exhaust plume to rescale up?    Right now it looks very strange.    I am using Waterfall for the plumes, and I can see a bunch of stuff in the config file referring to the plume, but nothing that might scale it to fit with the engine model.

11 hours ago, Tundra said:

Another question relating to this:   Is there some value or something that I would change that would fix the exhaust plume to rescale up?    Right now it looks very strange.    I am using Waterfall for the plumes, and I can see a bunch of stuff in the config file referring to the plume, but nothing that might scale it to fit with the engine model.

Once again, Tweakscale is your friend for this. Specifically it's maintainer/repairer/updater @Lisias. Who has had previous success rescaling Waterfall effects.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.