Science News Thread (for articles that don't relate to ongoing discussions)

6 hours ago, farmerben said:

Gas cooled micro reactor, that's cool.  I'd love more specs.

there is this

https://www.usnc.com/mmr/

I must ask, though... why the SLS in the illustration of a site in Alaska?

USNC_Alaska_02f.jpg

1 hour ago, AckSed said:

They even make their own fuel pellets.

And yet Bill Gates's project couldn't? Doesn't fit...

19 minutes ago, DDE said:

I must ask, though... why the SLS in the illustration of a site in Alaska?

Expression of confidence? "Hey NASA, we can place this anywhere! Fund us!"

19 minutes ago, DDE said:

And yet Bill Gates's project couldn't? Doesn't fit...

Speculation: I think this may be an outgrowth of something from Lawrence Livermore Labs, and it lets them piggyback onto existing regulations granted to the Oak Ridge site used by the Manhattan Project instead of being snowed under with forms.

Edit: it is an outgrowth of Oak Ridge National Laboratory. So in regulatory terms, it's right down the street.

Edited by AckSed

Aerogel could be used to make a vacuum dirigible.

They tested different densities of aerogel and about three different chemistries, then sucked all the air out of a tube capped with each one and tested how long they held their vacuum. Paradoxically, the least dense aerogel held vacuum the best, taking about 6 hours for it to reach ambient atmospheric pressure. They also tested the strength of aerogel reinforced with helical silica fibres and found it to be greatly increased.

Second stage was making pressure vessels out of the aerogel. Using the densest aerogel, they moulded two hemispheres, gave one an air valve, mated them together and turned on the vacuum pump. It held, and when they applied vacuum grease to the interfaces, the pressure dropped below what the meter could measure. Turning off the pump, it lasted about 50 seconds before it separated.

Then, they reassembled it, sucked all the air out again... and beat it with a ball-peen hammer. The wall of the vessel was made of foam less than a centimetre thick, and yet it took two or three hits before it failed. Now that's science. ^_^

Summary: these basic aerogel vacuum vessels can withstand a hoop stress of 292 megaPascals, withstand impacts and they are at a density of 34 times that of atmospheric air. Larger ones about 25cm across would be around 10 times the density. If the trend continues, and they make fibre-reinforced aerogel that much stronger, you might get your vacuum aerostat.

Blue Origin creates solar cells out of simulated lunar regolith: https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/02/blue-origin-makes-a-big-lunar-announcement-without-any-fanfare/

The engineering work is based on a process known as "molten regolith electrolysis," and Blue Origin has advanced the state of the art for solar cell manufacturing. In this process, a direct electric current is applied to the simulated regolith at a high temperature, above 1,600° Celsius. Through this electrolysis process, iron, silicon, and aluminum can be extracted from the lunar regolith. Blue Origin says it has produced silicon to more than 99.999 percent purity through molten regolith electrolysis.

The key advance made by Blue Alchemist is that its engineers and scientists have taken the byproducts of this reaction—and these materials alone—to fabricate solar cells as well as the protective glass cover that would allow them to survive a decade or longer on the lunar surface.

I am highly interested in this, and not only because ye olde Artemis program and SpaceX are going back to the moon. This has been a dream of a fair few lunar scientists for a while, and it's now a reality. I do wonder what efficiency the cells produced operate at? Still exciting.

20 minutes ago, AckSed said:

I am highly interested in this, and not only because ye olde Artemis program and SpaceX are going back to the moon. This has been a dream of a fair few lunar scientists for a while, and it's now a reality. I do wonder what efficiency the cells produced operate at? Still exciting.

I imagine you can get away with some sub-par production methods and still get a very decent overall efficiency. Higher efficiency is always better of course, but many aspects that require both high efficiency and high durability on earth should be absent or far less stringent on the lunar surface due to the absence of atmosphere and abundance of available real estate.

20 minutes ago, Beamer said:

I imagine you can get away with some sub-par production methods and still get a very decent overall efficiency. Higher efficiency is always better of course, but many aspects that require both high efficiency and high durability on earth should be absent or far less stringent on the lunar surface due to the absence of atmosphere and abundance of available real estate.

This. If it can be made and laid out by autonomous machines, then who really cares how efficient it is? The $/W is bound to be magnitudes cheaper than shipping from Earth.

The first steam engines were 0.5-1% efficient, after all

15 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

This. If it can be made and laid out by autonomous machines, then who really cares how efficient it is? The $/W is bound to be magnitudes cheaper than shipping from Earth.

The first steam engines were 0.5-1% efficient, after all

Yes, it was only useful pumping water out of coal mines as you got more coal out of the mine and other costs like wages was higher, the transport cost was also low who was important as this obviously predated steam trains. 

3 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Not for beaming power to Earth, but for powering equipment on the Moon.

From the article:

20-kilometer-diameter antennas would beam the power to receivers on Earth.

Just now, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

From the article:

I'm almost laughing, actually.

20 KM.

uh.

yeah

44 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

From the article:

I'm almost laughing, actually.

20 KM.

uh.

yeah

Ok wait. Now I've read the linked BO article on arstechnica. I didn't see anything about beamed power in there?

24 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Ok wait. Now I've read the linked BO article on arstechnica. I didn't see anything about beamed power in there?

Arstechnica article?  The only link I see is the one above called Luna Ring

Oh wait - you read the regolith article about BO.  That is cool!

The 20km antenna is the Luna Ring