Easy / Straightforward Video Editing Software?

JoeSchmuckatelli

I'm not a total novice (played around with MovieMaker back in the day) but also not experienced.  Looking for something relatively easy to use , or at least straightforward for a project.  Also need the ability to edit audio, if possible (although I could probably do that in Audacity if necessary)

Main thing is to take an audio of a 45 minute long interview of my grandmother and create a video, timing photos and maybe video snips to what she's saying.  Other than that, I do (did) like to upload the occasional funny game vid to YouTube.  

Sadly MM is no longer part of Windows... and since I'd have to pay for it I'd be interested in something with a bit more capability.

Any suggestions?

• 1 year later...
On 8/5/2022 at 3:59 PM, Zozaf Kerman said:

Before I got Adobe After Effects, I used a simple program called Davinci Resolve. It’s free unless you want some super crazy movie quality effects, which then costs you 300$. It should work fine based on the description of your needs.

I also used Adobe After Effects. The layers and the way the effects worked confused me. I needed to invest way more time than I anticipated just to understand basic functionalities, so I can't call it a straightforward video editing tool.

17 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

I have paid for several video editors over the years, but in the end I settled on a free video editor named ShotCut.  I don't think I'll ever use anything else.

https://shotcut.org/

I used it on a few projects several years ago and while it eventually delivered, it was notoriously unstable, crashing several times per day. Have the new versions made it more stable?

2 hours ago, Shpaget said:

I used it on a few projects several years ago and while it eventually delivered, it was notoriously unstable, crashing several times per day. Have the new versions made it more stable?

I cannot recall it crashing on me except when I loaded a huge video into it and I assume it ran out of memory or something.

Unlike videopad, which I got in the habit of saving before every transition.

Edited by Superfluous J

On 8/11/2023 at 11:02 AM, Shpaget said:

I swear by Shotcut. It does in fact crash maybe once or twice per project for me, but since I save often I don't mind.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.