Best ksp memories?

Rutabaga22

I just want to know what the best memories you have made throughout your time playing this game.

For me it would be when I first got it in mid 2021. I had no idea what a gravity turn was and didn't make it to space for a week. When I first got it, my massive rocket had a kraken attack and shot my kerbals 6 kilometers up and then for DAYS I tried making big explosions with a load of fuel tanks to launch my kerbals into space, it was an orion drive exploiting the kraken. Later, I got excited about my "Satellite" that was a probe core  with some solar panels and an ion engine I shot on an escape trajectory. 

WHat are the best memories you all have of playing this game?

My 2 favorite are:

My very first mun landing, in the 0.16 (or 0.18 I don't recall) demo back in 2013. I decided that if I could land and return from the surface of the Mun and still be interested in the game, it was worth the $24 or whatever they were charging. Best $24 I spent, even though it went on sale like 3 days later :D

Landing the asteroid shown in my signature. I spent WEEKS designing and testing each stage of that mission EXCEPT the landing because I wanted to capture that on video without having done it before. No one on the planet was more surprised than I was when, after re-entry and the slowdown wobbling, it just leveled out and flew like a well-crafted glider. Which is exactly what it was not.

k7X3OXU.png

Spent weeks trying to get the rover to fly right on entry.   More weeks spent trying to get that lander to back to orbit.   Then realizing I needed to build a launcher to get it there in the first place, with juuuuust enough fuel to land smoothly.   Oh, yeah, the weeks driving the rover cross country to the lander cause it wasn't a precision landing craft, I mean it was a flying bus, but also to get lots of biome data. 

All of them are good. Lets start.

First orbits: They were all polar. Idk why. I didnt understand orbital mechanics and they were elliptical, so I couldn't de-orbit.

First plane: Awful. Mk.2 sized. It even had an external seat mounted randomly, so the control point was flipped. Still got it to fly and land!

First EVA: Went out of control. I couldn't get back to the ship. Even when I did some quicksaves, I still couldn't de-orbit.

First Mun landing: It just couldn't. It kept rolling downhill after several attempts. I got Jeb out and planted a flag. I even got the rover achievement because of the movement on the surface. I also wanted to use an extraordinary design, so I placed a Cupola on top of an Mk.2 lander can. At last I reverted to an orbital quicksave, came back to Kerbin and... Burned up in the atmosphere. From the landed screenshots I saw that I had way more than enough Delta V to come back.

First rover: I landed it on the Mun and since I was a noob, I used a lander and then the rover on top, meaning that I had to SAS my way onto touching down with the wheels. I somehow managed it. I used the same model for Minmus. As far as I remember I didn't quite get the fuel ok. And the SAS-ing part got screwed. The rover was only left with one thermoelectric generator and 6 (or 4?) wheels. 

First docking (attempt): I remember not being able to rendezvous well, also I used wrong SAS directions and burns.

First docking: The "Eye to the sky" space station... I docked the first module to it. I was so happy about myself.

First Duna landing: Landed on the pole

First Duna crewed landing: Gave up on docking.

Edited by Aerodynamic Kerbal

Some of my best memories was obviously the early ones, first time getting an probe into low Mun orbit and just watch the terrain fly by. 
First time to Eve, managed to impact Gilly going there. 
Quite a story, Sent an mission to Eve and Gilly, 3 rovers I think on an LV-N transfer stage, this was before heating so I just had an tiny deorbit stage with an ant engine and oscar tank.  dropping first rover, decobler faced the wrong way and the ant engine could not destroy decopler.  Put transfer stage suborbital and dropped second rover it landed in the water. 
It get better, Burned to Gilly and after correction it had just a few m/s dV left so I put it on an impact trajectory and separated the last rover from the transfer stage and its deorbit stage, all 3 parts impacted Gilly :) 

Later also had its moments, here coolest probably is Firebird at hardbrake. 
Zmb10mAh.png
Yes I was coming in hard and fast, had 3.8 Km/s then I hit the atmosphere, but I got to Duna in less than 100 days :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.