I have been summoned by the admin password wipe..........

CrazyCanadian

Came here manually and reset pw manually after receiving the mail in case it was an elaborately crafted phish.

If this was actually legit and indeed triggered by admins, it would have been plenty smart to put an announcement in the, well, Announcements to be read even without a login.

If so, then I guess someone wasn't plenty smart enough, wink-wink, nudge-nudge …

Edited by Andersenman

40 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:  As a moderator I can confirm that we did contact some of you about compromised accounts.      

I got an email as well but my accounts had no activity since 2018?  

Received an email a few minutes to change my password. Didn't click in the link provided incase it was a scam or something. Came here to the forum to change it. The last time I was here was 5 years ago and have just just found out about KSP2.

So I haven't been on ksp fourms for a while now, like 5+ years. Today I got an email stating "For security reasons, the administrator of Kerbal Space Program Forums has required you to reset your password." Does anyone know what this is about/why it was sent?

We would not abuse your contact information just to call attention to our product, which is doing fine without shenanigans like that. We found some old accounts which had been used recently to post spam to our forum, removed those illegitimate posts (which is why you don't see recent activity on the accounts in question), and contacted the individuals involved. There was no breach on the part of this forum. 

Also, overlapping threads have been merged. 

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

We would not abuse your contact information just to call attention to our product, which is doing fine without shenanigans like that. We found some old accounts which had been used recently to post spam to our forum, removed those illegitimate posts (which is why you don't see recent activity on the accounts in question), and contacted the individuals involved. There was no breach on the part of this forum. 

so..... if we had our passwords reset it means someone was posting AS us recently?  This wasn't broad?

Hello! 

As a security measure, all dormant accounts were requested to reset their passwords. This is not due to a breach or anything of that nature, there have been some users accounts that have been compromised in other places (likely because they use the same password for multiple sites)  and these accounts have been posting spam messages to the forums. In anticipation of KSP2's launch, we felt it best to make sure that dormant accounts had their passwords reset. 

If you have any further questions, please feel free to message me! 

-Ghostii-Space, KSP Community Manager

9 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

OK KSP2 is now off my to buy on release list  if you cannot keep a simple forum acc secure whats it going to like when ksp2 goes live ?  obviously a large breach has occured here  otherwise how would our passwords/accounts be compromised ?  or is it indeed just an advertising ploy?  it is either one or the other please be truthful to your customers its not hard to do and it builds customer confidence :wink:

3 hours ago, ST1GUS said:

OK KSP2 is now off my to buy on release list  if you cannot keep a simple forum acc secure whats it going to like when ksp2 goes live ?  obviously a large breach has occured here  otherwise how would our passwords/accounts be compromised ?  or is it indeed just an advertising ploy?  it is either one or the other please be truthful to your customers its not hard to do and it builds customer confidence :wink:

Ya it is totally their fault that some people decided to use a password like "password123!" on the forum and a dozen other places. :rolleyes:

Edited by MechBFP

On 2/11/2023 at 12:01 PM, ST1GUS said:

if you cannot keep a simple forum acc secure

I believe you misunderstand. If a forum user is in the habit of reusing their passwords and a hacker is able to break or acquire that password, that gives the hacker access to all of that user's accounts everywhere

This is why we should never use the same password in multiple places, even if we just consider it a throwaway account.

I too have been summoned by the password shenanigans, having last posted back in 2018, owing largely to work blocking the forum taking away my usual lunchtime activity, thus preventing me from ever catching up anymore.  Nice excuse to poke around a bit before getting back to the ol' massive todo list.  I've missed this place.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.