What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 minutes ago, Crocket said:

@eddiew Do you have the design for that little Kerbin-system lander? I'd love to take it for a spin.

Sure thing :)  Uploaded the craft file here. I don't think it's got any non-stock bits, but let me know if it gives you problems.

(Feel free to remove the random extra ladder from the front, I didn't realise I had symmetry on in the VAB ^^;)

1 minute ago, eddiew said:

Sure thing :)  Uploaded the craft file here. I don't think it's got any non-stock bits, but let me know if it gives you problems.

(Feel free to remove the random extra ladder from the front, I didn't realise I had symmetry on in the VAB ^^;)

Thanks! If there are problems, they'll be with tech level.

Closest mission I've ever run. One error followed another, and not taking many good screenshots was one of them :(

H6jbGlJ.jpg

Transfer Window Planner suggested 2800m/s was enough to reach the target orbit, but once in LKO, neither MechJeb nor I were able to make it less than 3200. As usual, KSP didn't want to give the remotest hint about close approaches until I was in solar orbit and had corrected my inclination at the DN, which just added to the guesswork. In the end, my usual 20% overspec was barely enough to make a safe touchdown. May reconsider using TWP as my delta-v planner, cos its very optimistic... 

And then... crowning glory... realised I'd interpreted the 1250m/s "escape velocity" as "orbital velocity" and specced the lander accordingly. The extra 250m/s at 50km altitude forced a perilous suicide burn that was second only to Tylo for nerve wracking intensity. Crewed missions will not be attempted on this planet until my tech level is a lot higher!

Vatil provided by:

On 8/12/2016 at 6:23 AM, capi3101 said:

One final question - is the Stayputnik still largely worthless (by which I mean no SAS)?

Kind of an oddball use, but it can be used as the ball in a krakentech-y ball and socket joint.  Build a cage of cubic octagonal struts around it, add some power and SAS modules, and you can make space station manipulator arms in vanilla KSP for instance.  The twitch streamer EJ_SA has featured a lot of these builds

Edited by fourfa

On 8/12/2016 at 7:23 AM, capi3101 said:

One final question - is the Stayputnik still largely worthless (by which I mean no SAS)?

Yes, it's just a stepping stone to the real probodynes.  You don't always want reaction wheels but you DO want proper hardpoints and something capable of fitting in a hardware bay.  The stayputnik actually consumes MORE power than the basic probodyne with reaction wheel, when idle anyway.

Edited by Corona688

I drop tested my bus... Kerbal style.

ExKALSK.png

rMMgxo7.png

In the unlikely event that it is driven off a cliff, this bus is equipped with emergency parachutes to ensure a safe landing.

jZv3U3E.png

wyLj1hJ.png

Perfect! Just ignore those broken bits there.

0bk4Feq.png

-Rocket

Edited by RocketPilot573

29 minutes ago, RocketPilot573 said:

I drop tested my bus... Kerbal style.

ExKALSK.png

In the unlikely event that it is driven off a cliff, this bus is equipped with emergency parachutes to ensure a safe landin Perfect! Just ignore those broken bits there.

-Rocket

Why the small wheels? is the large blocked?

8 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Why the small wheels? is the large blocked?

They are mainly for driving at high speed and/or on rough terrain (or in this case, absorbing a large impact). The bus weighs 27 tons so those rover wheels cant take much abuse. :wink:

-Rocket

Edited by RocketPilot573

Well attempts 1-7 for a manned Mun landing... mixed results, have a lander that works but having trouble with the eggbox controls so the one that made it back re-entered in time warp with the trans stage still attached, bang. 8th is in the hanger.

Probe on minmus, last mission before the KSC upgrade to have the orbital mechanics stuff shown, which led to a probe flyby of Duna.

Had a go at a rendezvous mission.. Valentina is still in orbit waiting me to work it out so I can nudge her out of fuel pod back into the atmosphere, got as close as about 1km, couldn't stabilise or get closer, had a go again with one of the Mun landers after it made orbit but without the fuel to transfer.

Learning, mostly what not to do.

Have unlocked the VAB, mission control and tracking stations to Level 2. 

RIP Jeb, on the 7th Mun attempt (didn't catch in time to revert it so letting it stand)

For the last couple of days, I've been playing on a career save. Today marked the first time I have made it out of Kerbin's SOI in career! I had an "Explore Duna" and an "Explore Ike" contract so I attempted to do them both at once. Unfortunately I forgot landing legs and was able to do only Ike but I got orbital and upper-atmosphere science from Duna so it is near completion. Plus I am about 2/3rds of the way through the tech tree and have all the buildings except the tracking station, SPH and runway fully upgraded. After going back to Duna to get surface science and plant a flag, I will do a Gilly round trip. Then after that, assuming I have maxed out the tech tree, I will do an Eve round trip. If I don't have a fully maxed out tech tree, I'll go to Dres and then Eve.

This is going pretty well.

I attached the first module on my Minmus refueling station. Kind of a mess, to be honest. I drove the habitation module around for a bit to locate a good ore patch in Minmus's flats, then stopped there and got my hub module down for a landing. Because I didn't attach solar panels to the hub or any sort of power generating equipment, I was left with nearly full tanks of fuel, a trickle of EC left, and a habitat module to dock to. I landed the hub, detached the tanks, and docked the modules. Now to setup power generation, fuel storage, and an ISRU/drilling module.

Today, I lost my self esteam. Space taxi 1, which took me 3 weeks to build, has failed and resulted in the biggest loss of life I have had yet ;.;. The shuttle was designed to send 13 Kerbals up to Kerbin orbit, and possibly the Mun's as well, then return them. It never left the atmosphere. The shuttle flipped over and crash landed 1km west of the runway. Out of all 13 Kerbals onboard, 1 lived. I built a memorial at the crash site, and have scrapped the project completely until further notice. There will not be a Space Taxi 1 until I regain my self esteam and re-build the shuttle from scratch.

Edited by nascarlaser1
spelling and grammar errors.

I flew the blocked-hatch plane back home... but I hadn't yet worked out how to fly efficiently and ended up like this:

mA692Ia.png

On a second try -- after unblocking the hatch -- I worked out the right plan: climb to 12-13km (steep to 8km then prograde until I top out around 12-13km), turn on afterburner, get to 600 m/s, then turn off the afterburner. I lose 200 m/s but I halve the fuel usage per second, which means I save a third of the fuel overall. The plane is really nice to fly, very stable, lands on rough ground like the Mk0 airstrip just fine.

Afterwards I went to go rescue Val and Gwen, who are stranded on the Mun. Their spacecraft had capacity for three, but was about 400 m/s short after a sloppy landing. I decided to just use another copy, with SRBs. Liz got dispatched on that mission. Seems Bill's department forgot to secure the SRBs properly on the first try:

V22Dc2D.png

On a second try, she's on the way.

Finally, I sent Jeb also to the Mun, with three tourists. Somehow I miscalculated the fuel usage, so now he's stranded in an annoying orbit around Kerbin. I'll need to build a very large, very long plane to bring him home :(

Completed the infrastructure compiling into one save file (took longer than expected due to debris issues in the persistent,never causes any problems in orbit but make it hardto find the ship you're trying to copy!

Research stations 1-4

Xkzotiq.jpg JMYlCxx.jpg

xTE5PnT.jpg

5B61a4a.jpg 

Last of the old interplanetary ships the dreadnought (previously been to and from Duna 4 times) 4 liberator nuclar drives and about 8500dv, Nuclear reactor and cryo bay it's designed to travel literally anywhere, though might irradiate the crew slightly...

UERoR0d.jpg

and the intrepid launched just before the start of project valencia (interplanetary ship upgrade) The Intrepid is a much smaller ship than the dreadnought designed to make the local group transfers more efficiently.Cryo bay but no reactor it struggles beyond Dres

40RMDap.jpg 

Project Valencia is the next generation and now complete, it constitutes roughly 30,000,000 credits and are incredibly hard to centre in an image without a mouse (apologies just assume they're long...)

Oldest member of the fleet the Javelin has no cryo facilities. Weirdly for the oldest member it has an ion drive, completely experimental in design, though no reactor so is best suited for journeying to the inner planets. about 10,000 dv

rqsbfuk.jpg 

The next member is the lancet, basically a smaller javelin. Lancet has two cryo pods, meaning it has slightly better crew life-expectancy than the Javelin. About the same DV at 10,000. Again Ion power without reactors means it's limited to the inner planets

ro9pXif.jpg

Next up is the beginning of the larger Valencians

The Valiant. A nuclear powered ship, it's main engine based off the older dreadnought. It's reactor is designed to supplement the main solar array however can take over if needed, but only for a few years,designed mainly for Jool/sarnus missions

VzDDPbT.jpg 

The Archimedes (hardest to picture, too long really...) again fully nuclear powered and reactor, this time with more stored fuel designed to reach any planet possible.

zNhHa8h.jpg 

And finally the Columbus.This was built because I felt that none of the ships in the Valencia program really justify ridiculous properly, so built a 7 Liberator nuclear engine powered giant!! In case you fancy irradiating any planet you come across

oIVAu7u.jpg

Sorry for the spam, just getting these out the way,whilst setting up scenes to screen shot to fit into http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/145876-the-last-mission/ Now that no Uni to occupy me I have time for such things :)

Drove the Clown Car 2 40km across minmus to log some temperature points and meet Madlin and his crashed wreck, whatever it was.  It turned out to be a mk1-2 coimmand pod -- which on getting closer than a kilometer to, promply LEAPED 300m into the air.  Only Minmus' low gravity and the pod's ludicrious impact tolerance saved it.  Eesh.

The kerbal standing outside the pod, who miraculously wasn't crushed by her own pod -- turned out to be a him, despite the name of 'Madlin Kerman', but when I had them enter their own crashed pod, became female.  This may have been because they hadn't technically been 'rescued' until they were onboard something, and just had a generic kerbal template?  I don't know.  They'd been standing around creepily zombielike until the template applied, too.

Edited by Corona688

While waiting for my Perfectly Informative Duna Science Probe to get there, I've been practicing orbital manoeuvres. I built something rather horrid in Munar orbit. Now it's a functional if odd-looking space station, with fuel storage, a lander, and enough ports for relief missions. I know have five kerbonauts on board. Today's project is to remove one long useless dangly bit that's making the station hard to rotate (that rotation makes docking sooooo much easier), and then do a final burst of Munar science with my two landers, then evacuate. I've got a Perfectly Reliable Heavy Liason Craft docked who will take Valentina, Bill, and Madlin back, and then I have an escape pod which fits Jebediah and Bob; the escape pod will have to be powered with the Perfectly Safe Mun Lander I (Experimental) which, while possible of doing its job, had a couple of minor omissions that make operating it a PITA (like, um, no prograde RCS jets, no antenna, and fuel tanks that can only just do one landing and return with very little room for manoeuvre). I will leave the Perfectly Safe Mun Lander 1-R docked and ready to go if/when I decide to return to the Mun.

I also installed the Leonardo graphics mod. It looks way better now. Had to tweak some settings to get an acceptable framerate though, and takeoff is still a little stuttery for my blood. Is there info here somewhere about optimising framerate with it? My machine is by no means state of the art but it's not THAT wimpy.

Jqm4zCz.png

Here's a small SSTO I'm playing with for a Laythe mission.  The wings dock into place, so the ship can store in a Mk3 cargo bay on an interplanetary mothership (requires a little RCS tug with a klaw to manipulate the wings).  Still working on side pods with ample fuel, high-efficiency engines, and vertical landing gear to use the central pod (and the science gear in its cargo bay) for Tylo.  

Edited by fourfa

yz0eydO.jpg

LTJtwmx.jpg

Literally spent all day designing and testing this. A surface base, essentially a space center. Sent a compact "missionary ship" with the four kerbals, and two resource landers all at once, and a third one later. Bill did most of the field work and Jebediah's ...moderately entertained. I'm betting he wished some other pilot was up there. So much construction, no actual launching.

Sent a clone of the Vatil lander to Havet, and realised I should have gone here first. At 0.32g, the drop was really rather mundane, even if slightly more challenging than Mun. Intercept requires only about 1300m/s from LKO, so now I have an orbiter in position with nearly 2km/s in it... not quite enough to go anywhere else ^^;

ozD0hpG.jpg

Havet provided by Kerbol Plus Remade.