What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Pad test of my Tylo modular SSTO, crew compartment has 250 m/s isp itself using monoprop engines

It will have an LV-N tug to take this to Tylo or Lathe, it will also work independently on the three other moons.

JaNTBbkl.png

4000 m/s ISP so the main test will be launching it into orbit, some streamlining to make it work on Laythe.

Might want another cap on the crew module and put the scanner inside the cap.

For some unknown reasons kerbal fall off the ladder from the science compartment then the hab and science module is on top of the SSTO.

hYnltVJl.png

- - - Updated - - -

I landed on Duna for the first time.

http://i.imgur.com/cRR7AbY.png

Congratulations :)

You dropped heatshield then deploying parachute?

I decided to redo my old russian N1 moon rocket. It's not a visual replica, but a functional one, so 30 (non thrust vectoring) engines in the first stage, 8 in the next, 4 smaller engines in the third stage, and the whole soyuz capsule/lander setup should also work like the hypothetical real thing.

Control during ascent should work, kinda like the real thing, with action groups shutting down specific outer engines. That's the theory anyway, in practice this thing will get to an orbit, you just don't know in advance which one exactly. It will even get to the Mun if by some stroke of luck it manages to point itself in the right direction.

JGQYjF4.png

2s0VCKZ.png

Sending my Science Module to Dres. already is a residential module there.

a4012250b04c4cb47d026653b378a9e4.png

Also there are two small landers I designed for it, those go down first via a Skycrane-like setup. Each one has about 1200dV of thrust. And I designed a 4th stage for it too.

Oh, and also you can see what I came up with to stop swaying with large payloads. It starts with those steel girders....

What mod gives those Mk2 service bays?

If they're not stock, they're probably from the Mk2 Expansion Mod.

The green tubes are soyez green procedural lfo tanks stuffed in the negative space. Adds about 200 m/s delta-v.

Edited by Venusgate

How well did that work?

It worked really well. There was a very slight lag, but it's a good solution. I'm modifying the source code (it's open source) to make it work with the nunchuck joystick.

- - - Updated - - -

how??!!!!!!!!!! How is that even possible?!! How does that work?? Why!?

- - - Updated - - -

(It won't let me do all caps. ;.;

I connected via Bluetooth. Just search how to connect wii controller to computer.

- - - Updated - - -

I might release my modified source if I can get it to work well.

Folks, I give you the Millenium Tinfoil

Dimensions are quite close to the "original", however flight performance is...suboptimal. Technically it is a fully functional spacecraft, it has propulsion, RCS system, a big reactor (32 RTGs), docking ports...everything. Should you be able to land it can even mine and refine fuel. And as long as it's in space it even flies :P

aPDR5qG.png?2

78H7mS1.png?1

Went to Bop to rescue a Kerbal for a contract, but obviously over-engineered it and put like 2k extra delta-v on it. Decided I could try to land on it... On my nuke engine. Luckily I had a probe core installed so it could hold the ship upright while my Kerbal went EVA and did some sciencing. Was one of the more stressful landings because I had to pretty much land at ~2 m/s... No strong landing legs to break my descent.

Built a carrier craft for a large Munar rover; against all expectation, it made it into orbit after a very shaky ascent, but did not have sufficient fuel remaining to make the trip to the Mun. With regret, the vessel was destroyed in orbit and Werner von Kerman's team went back to the drawing board... plans also advanced for completing MunBase One, expected to become operational this weekend.

Update... grumble... now having issues with my booster flipping. Wrong end toward space... :huh:

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

Seeing as I haven't posted anything for a while it's not so much "what I did today" as "what I did over the last few weeks".

So, highlights:

1) A 4 Kerbal Kerbin-Mun transport, the Flying Pig:

8QNHECPh.png

Very successful, if a little expensive.

2) I wanted to land a cargo plane at the Island Airstrip so experimented with a short-field landing system:

WSFoz6Bh.png

and landed test cargo so Jeb & Bob could do some off-roading. Unfortunately lack of traction meant they couldn't make it to the top of the hill:

3nua7WNh.png

3) Started a new career 'just-for-the heck-of-it' and build an early tech VTOL:

BYQCuAIh.png

Also comes with long range drop tanks/wings:

o7lgzk7h.png

4) And finally... Built a cruise missile with enough fuel to circumnavigate Kerbin:

ZoaSQVah.png

Unfortunately, after flying all the way round, I shut down the engine to glide onto the target and ran out of electric charge just metres from the VAB!

No pics of that debacle!

Last night's activities began with a check of a replacement contract for Bob's science mission to Mun, since I wrapped that up last night. I got a contract to plant a flag on Minmus, which gave me an excuse to resume mining operations down there. Wilney and Joegee were sent down again in their Wildcat 7 craft to the Minmus mining site, linking up with the drill and converter modules on the moon's surface. There was almost another full load of ore ready to deliver; it was about 300 units short. I anticipate being able to make another delivery this evening. I also planted a flag - it was a pretty easy little √100k...

The fuel module I launched towards Mun yesterday also arrived; I put it into the same orbital plane as Theogel's Wildcat 7 craft performed a successful rendezvous and docking. With nearly full tanks, Theogel was able to return to Munport 1:

HtDe3sq.png

He picked up Verise and returned successfully to the Munar mining site in order to resume drilling operations. I've got some definite weirdness going on at Mun...I should ask about it.

Meanwhile, I had an empty fuel module in Munar orbit. With nothing else to do, I went ahead and attempted to rendezvous it with the Munport 2 space station. Turns out I had enough gas in the transfer stage to do it - the rendevous was a success though it definitely had me doing some very low flying around periapsis; passed within 400 meters of the surface. With docking complete, I detached the transfer stage, pumped the remaining fuel from Munport 2's transfer stage into the fuel module, decoupled it from the station and sent both transfer stages to collide into the Munar surface.

RQMTZG5.png

I still have no idea what I'm going to use Munport 2 for, aside from as an additional berth for craft like Project Peacock and Carrier Pigeon.

Ended the night with a √15k contract for science over Kerbin; I hailed a satellite already in orbit and sent back a non-existent (and non-profitable) barometric reading for a quick √15k - which in KSP terms is about enough for a latte. I also began designing a nine-Kerbal habitat module for Minmus. I'm not satisfied with the design I've got right now - it's 35 tonnes and awful top-heavy. I'll be tweaking the design tonight, as likely as not.