What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 hours ago, steedcrugeon said:

I discovered Nuclear rockets (I have self imposed a Science mode on myself to introduce the aspects of KSP slow time. i use the sand box mode to build and test Planes, space-planes, boats and SSTO's at the minute).

Goodness me they are a game changer for missions to just about anywhere!

And such a nuisance with high own mass, low thrust, being fragile, having their fairings "deployed" with power sufficient to obliterate everything in their path, overall length, flimsy attachment strength, very strong but not fuel-efficient alternator, LF-only requirement with poor selection of LF-only tanks (and losing all benefits with LFO tanks due to poor wet:dry ratio if you don't load oxidizer (...if you even remember to remove it)) and the general unease they cause due to 'nuclear radiation', not present in the game mechanics but niggling at our brains. The authors really took care to balance the superior ISp with a whole slew of small inconveniences.

32 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

And such a nuisance with high own mass, low thrust, being fragile, having their fairings "deployed" with power sufficient to obliterate everything in their path, overall length, flimsy attachment strength, very strong but not fuel-efficient alternator, LF-only requirement with poor selection of LF-only tanks (and losing all benefits with LFO tanks due to poor wet:dry ratio if you don't load oxidizer (...if you even remember to remove it)) and the general unease they cause due to 'nuclear radiation', not present in the game mechanics but niggling at our brains. The authors really took care to balance the superior ISp with a whole slew of small inconveniences.

These are all valid points for stock, however I'm running the interstellar fuel switch mod which makes life easier tank wise. I have experienced the explosive decoupling of their fairings but I tend to use them I'm multiple configuration and cover with a fairing. When I switch uo to a more sophisticated life support mod I'll really have to start worrying about the radiation!

Downloaded the Atmospheric Assistant mod (a fly-by-wire mod) yesterday afternoon and decided to try it out last night on a crew survey report out about 250 klicks into the ocean east of KSC with Jeb aboard Bad Idea 6. Holy crap did that mod make flying that plane easier - I barely had to touch the controls, and that was with SAS off. Had absolutely no problems getting the plane up to 10k and hitting the waypoints required for the contract, especially once I figured out how to make the navigation autopilot work. First time I felt comfortable turning on physics timewarp during an aircraft flight while still in atmo. The whole experience was... a bit sterile, I guess (I hate to put it that way, but the mod took the challenge out of most of the flight, not that I have any plans to uninstall the mod anytime soon...).

Had a real nice lineup on KSC 27 going on for most of the trip back. Still managed to botch the landing; plane bounced when I touched down and managed to slam the tail into the runway (again). Most of the rest of the plane (and Jeb) survived, though, and I got more than enough extra coin from the contract to make up for the damage done to the plane. Pretty sure I was simply coming down too fast on touchdown. Then again, it's been close to a year since I tried to land a plane in KSP; I'm probably just out of practice.

Went ahead and got the Beep-Beep 7 probe into its final orbit around Mun and the Bleepity-Bleep 7 probe to Minmus's SOI for contracts, and also launched a revised Beep-Beep 7a probe into a polar orbit around Kerbin. New contracts involve sending more tourists to Mun...I was really hoping to get a contract to Explore Minmus. Not yet. Guess I'll be sending Bob back to Mun to collect more sci sometime in the next day or two...

What I did Yesterday: I was hoping to do more Science on Minmus Base 1, when I accidentally had a Kerbal hit and break one of the swiveling 2x3 Solar panels... I hit F9, THINKING I'd simply go back to that point before... needless to say, it took me all the way back to the last Quicksave, which was a year ago, in-game, JUST as I was getting the Mobile Lab Unit, "Show Pony", to land and "Aerosol" my way to landing glory (and yes, same situation happened).

Needless to say, I was rightfully upset, since all my current attempts on my Mum Station went down the tubes, since the contract was gone (same for the Minmus Station). However, I was able to configure the wheels and SAS ring to work the way I needed (and switched control to the docking port) to actually get the Show Pony to ACTUALLY drive (about roughly 8 m/s, until it eventually flips over a few times, but THANKFULLY no damage was done to it, on both times). I was also able to get about 2,000 points of science with everything I either accumulated, or had gotten on Minmus (Midlands EVA and Soil), thanks to the Lab Unit, so thankfully I am now up to where I need to be, as far as parts accessibility goes, and more (got Advanced Science, for mining... sadly the Funds you get from retrieving Ore are... negligibly small [150 units of Ore got me, no joke, 3 Kerbucks in funds]). And also thankfully the reload didn't destroy any craft files I made in the VAB and SPH, so Stations are doable (Hopefully I'll get contracts for them, again).

13 minutes ago, Dire_Squid said:

What I did Yesterday: I was hoping to do more Science on Minmus Base 1, when I accidentally had a Kerbal hit and break one of the swiveling 2x3 Solar panels... I hit F9, THINKING I'd simply go back to that point before... needless to say, it took me all the way back to the last Quicksave, which was a year ago, in-game, JUST as I was getting the Mobile Lab Unit, "Show Pony", to land and "Aerosol" my way to landing glory (and yes, same situation happened).

Needless to say, I was rightfully upset, since all my current attempts on my Mum Station went down the tubes, since the contract was gone (same for the Minmus Station). However, I was able to configure the wheels and SAS ring to work the way I needed (and switched control to the docking port) to actually get the Show Pony to ACTUALLY drive (about roughly 8 m/s, until it eventually flips over a few times, but THANKFULLY no damage was done to it, on both times). I was also able to get about 2,000 points of science with everything I either accumulated, or had gotten on Minmus (Midlands EVA and Soil), thanks to the Lab Unit, so thankfully I am now up to where I need to be, as far as parts accessibility goes, and more (got Advanced Science, for mining... sadly the Funds you get from retrieving Ore are... negligibly small [150 units of Ore got me, no joke, 3 Kerbucks in funds]). And also thankfully the reload didn't destroy any craft files I made in the VAB and SPH, so Stations are doable (Hopefully I'll get contracts for them, again).

Alt+F4 is your friend when that happens. Hit it quick enough, before the game autosaves, and once you reload it will just go back to your original auto save. 

Come to think of it, I think in 1.1.2 you can just load an autosave from the main menu...

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Alt+F4 is your friend when that happens. Hit it quick enough, before the game autosaves, and once you reload it will just go back to your original auto save. 

Come to think of it, I think in 1.1.2 you can just load an autosave from the main menu...

I don't think I can now, since I Alt+F5's for a stupid failed attempt of using a Kerbal's EVA prop to rescue a low-orbiting Kerbal, on Minmus.

Anyways, I'll keep that in mind for any future moments of derptitude. Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Dire_Squid said:

I don't think I can now, since I Alt+F5's for a stupid failed attempt of using a Kerbal's EVA prop to rescue a low-orbiting Kerbal, on Minmus.

Anyways, I'll keep that in mind for any future moments of derptitude. Thank you.

See if you can load an autosave. I'm not at a computer right now but I think it's on the KSC scene escape menu. You won't loose anything by trying.

7 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

See if you can load an autosave. I'm not at a computer right now but I think it's on the KSC scene escape menu. You won't loose anything by trying.

*Did Alt+F4.... realizing what he got himself into*

... there are NO WORDS... to describe my contempt for what you just duped me into doing!

Sent up a VIP into orbit, but then forgot to deploy the chutes until they were too low so they impacted at 100 m/s. Oh well. -10 rep doesnt hurt that much. :D

On a positive note, I sent Valentina on our first orbit around the Mun. For some reason though I forgot that I could just get the science out of the Science Jr, & I tried to bring the whole damn thing back attached to a service bay & the crew capsule. I couldnt keep it stable coming in so it flipped around & burnt up the solar panels & Science Jr (lost all the science in it too because I forgot to remove it when I EVA'd to get the science out of the thermometer & barometer.) I was afraid the parachute was gonna burn up too but luckily it didnt so I saved Valentina & still came back with like 300 science. Still mad I lost the 150 or so that was in the Science Jr. :(

Tonight I plan on putting a 4th satellite in a high orbit around Kerbal to satisfy a contract I have, as well as maybe putting one into orbit around the Mun to hopefully be a relay for my next mission back there. I plan on landing an unmanned probe on the Mun.

On a side note, does anyone know why of the 3 satellites I have around Kerbin, none of them seem to be acting as a relay? When I send another craft up with an antenna on it, it never shows the signal bouncing from that craft over to one of the satellites? All of the satellites have the first available relay antenna on them.....?

1 hour ago, Dire_Squid said:

*Did Alt+F4.... realizing what he got himself into*

... there are NO WORDS... to describe my contempt for what you just duped me into doing!

...?

Alt+F4 closes the game without overwriting your existing autosave... ie, after you've mistakenly loaded a bad quicksave, before it autosaves again, thereby preserving your presumably less derped game. 

8 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

...?

Alt+F4 closes the game without overwriting your existing autosave... ie, after you've mistakenly loaded a bad quicksave, before it autosaves again, thereby preserving your presumably less derped game. 

Yeah... exactly. But what you suggested CAN'T be done with my current game since it's already saved!!!

Plus, I apologize for my outburst. I recall a lot of trolls "suggesting" people do Alt+F4, in general... basically force-quitting anything. Thought that was your intent. I'm sorry.

1 minute ago, Dire_Squid said:

Yeah... exactly. But what you suggested CAN'T be done with my current game since it's already saved!!!

Plus, I apologize for my outburst. I recall a lot of trolls "suggesting" people do Alt+F4, in general... basically force-quitting anything. Thought that was your intent. I'm sorry.

Alt+F4 is a handy "oh crap!" button to default to anytime something goes wrong with a freshly loaded game. 

But try the escape menu. I'm 99% sure 1.1.3 lets you load old autosaves now. 

13 hours ago, DunaRocketeer said:

The Jool Mothership is too valuable to discard, so I'm making a station for it and other vehicles to dock with. It will serve as a waystation for all interplanetary journeys. The core station is complete, save for extra life support and an escape pod. Now I just need to add a string of propellant tanks for all of those visiting vehicles...

Vh2AqEH.png

Several months ago I was inspired by this design and started to make similar ships for my career game.

Bw0P4Ss.png

the full album

http://imgur.com/a/th7TN

I did not use the larger fuel tanks... because I did not research them yet.

Edited by obi_juan
problems with images.

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

2 hours ago, Dire_Squid said:

The autosave happens to the persistence file. Use Alt+F9 and quickload that instead of using Alt+F4. Also, when you quickload, persistence is probably immediately overwritten with the loaded state.

@Dire_Squid @CatastrophicFailure how I keep stuff like this from happening is by having a "failsafe" save.  Whenever a launch goes well or a mission is complete or whatever, when I'm back at KSC I save the game by it's name.  During missions I'll quicksave after or just prior to major events; anything from a crucial maneuver node to landing a craft somewhere. If anything goes poorly I can just jump to a quicksave. But if something major happens like the docking port glitch I mentioned a page or two ago, I can revert to the "failsafe" save just prior to vessel launch.

7 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The autosave happens to the persistence file. Use Alt+F9 and quickload that instead of using Alt+F4. Also, when you quickload, persistence is probably immediately overwritten with the loaded state.

I did not know that Alt+F9 loaded the persistence save, that's awesome! That'll save me from closing and restarting the game to load it.

Edited by kraden

Test-erday and today....

http://imgur.com/a/o0HCQ

I built a pipe organ.w7QHKhFg.png

And sent it to minus first. With a no autopilot landing.PMeyfeLg.png

Where Bill went RCSsing to their previous landing spot. He then RCSssed back before Jeb got back in and took the left seat again. He says that Jeb's flag was already falling down when he got there.

From there they flew to the Mun.

If someone can explain the following I would be very happy.

I suspect it as to do with my coming on a polar orbit. I never attempted to do a moon to another before. I just couldn't get an equatorial orbit....Maybe a mid course correction....Inside the Mun SOI. IDKWuuNULqg.png

Had to eyeball Where the equator was to do a plane change. Asymmetric fuel issues sent the ship wonky used a lot of fuel there plus Jeb did a beautiful landing......So soft.....He used all the remaining fuel.

That pipe-organ couldn’t land anyway. Can't seem to be able to correct the CoG vs Lift when empty. Plus it wobbles quite a bit. Too many parts. Gotta go.

So I built an ugly thing.DD1TDC2g.png

It's still being tested but it as the most fuel I have ever orbited.

Jeb took it  (Along with Bill) on an escape trajectory out of the Kerbol system.1fCsbJyg.png

....... .. .. .... ......!

What was that bill?

....... .. .. .... ......!

Yes, you are back now. As it was only a test.

.. ... .. ... .. ..  ... ........ ......... .... ..  .  .. ....!

It was supposed to go to Minmus but something happened....Jeb shoulda realized that a more than 5 minutes burn was a bit excessive...

.. .. . ...... ..!

A bit underpowered on the nuclear engines too. The G-meter shows I Can't land on the Mun. Maybe Minmus....Back to work.

ME

I built a modular one-launch base designed to land on Minmus (but it could probably land on the Mun, too). 

fNGGNm1.png

More pics are here: http://imgur.com/a/BkdVY

I realized after I landed and assembled everything that I forgot to actually find areas rich in ore and land on them instead of any ol' spot. So my harvester module is somewhat just for looks. Oh well. I guess that's why I'm not in charge of actual space programs.

Soooo I came up with this, with the root design in an Alien Air Koaster.

4oM1QRe.jpg

KER is set to Mun.

Bj3SbYz.jpg

The Mk2 parts in the koaster's legs are scaled to 0.75m. Its core is 2.5m

On 9/21/2016 at 1:43 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

195ktTu.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar