What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Well I knew it was my last time with 1.0.5 before finally switch to something fresher so I start to ask myself what could I realize that I never made before and could be really stupid... a rolling piggy bank... no. A banana-like rocket... no.

No, instead it will be the... Flying Karpet.

Ugly and useless :

Z6Ehm1f.png

For this birth (and last) flight Aladdin Kerman, an innocent rookie, was the pilot in commands.

sIrKu6w.png

LIOrVTs.png

Rocket assisted take-off due to a terrible CoM.

VBIBxj3.png

A whole new world...

vlhXarn.png

A new fantastic point of view... 

SnUf2Ct.png

No one to tell us no or where to OOOOH S**T!

xSHIHoP.png

(...)

QomLruk.png

Hem...not really a good way to say goodbye to an old friend.

Anyway, I will go for the banana rocket the next time.

So. I just replace the dll  in the old MechJeb with the new one from 10/15. The game complains that the paths are not right, but MechJeb is now there for my ships. 

The overriding idea is to put a big empty fuel tank in orbit around Mun to send to Duna. I build an ore mining base on Mun and shuttle fuel up to the empty tank That is the idea.

I launched an M700 Survey Scanner in a polar orbit, and find a suitable carter on Mun for mining. I build an unimaginative Surface Scanning Module lander based on the stock lander, and put it in orbit around Mun. But Mechjeb crashes it when I try to land, This was not a surprise - the designed of the lander really did suck. I launch it again and land it myself, and I STILL crash the lander, but other than the fact that the nose cone and one of the radial engines were destroyed, the lander was intact - just upside down. i thought about just starting over again, but then realized that I could use the three remaining engines to right the lander. The lander was top heavy, and it took me like four attempts, but I did right it.I found a nice flat spot with about 13,87% ore. Good enough I figure. It was flat...

I launched my ore extractor ship. It is a much more conventional craft and I give MechJeb another chance at the landing.  It did land the craft successfully - but it was about 10 meters under the surface of Mun, The only thing above ground was the mono propellant tank, command module and docking port. I decided to see what would happen if I fired the rocket, but the craft blow up - except for the upper tank, command module and docking port.

That is what I did today

qhLYP7M.png

JglcLC8.png

Today I brought a 257,609 ton asteroid into a 5,000km orbit around Kerbin, using RoverDude's orion nuclear pulse engines and starlifter SAS rings to keep everything stable. The 1.2 autostrutting feature is fantastic, in 1.1.x this setup would have shaken itself apart or wobbled uncontrollably. I hope to build a refueling station into this asteroid, for an alternative to refuelling at Minmus without having to change inclination before the transfer from Kerbin.

Also, I guess, I joined the forums (I've been lurking for around a year). Hi!

13 minutes ago, Odonian said:

qhLYP7M.png

JglcLC8.png

Today I brought a 257,609 ton asteroid into a 5,000km orbit around Kerbin, using RoverDude's orion nuclear pulse engines and starlifter SAS rings to keep everything stable. The 1.2 autostrutting feature is fantastic, in 1.1.x this setup would have shaken itself apart or wobbled uncontrollably. I hope to build a refueling station into this asteroid, for an alternative to refuelling at Minmus without having to change inclination before the transfer from Kerbin.

Also, I guess, I joined the forums (I've been lurking for around a year). Hi!

Welcome to the forum.

That's an impressive setup. I liked the first pic when I first saw it thought I had no clue what it was.

Orion, eh?

Got your lead undies on?

I can't help thinking that in real life it would be absolutely impossible to synchronize 4 atomic pulse engines.

ME

This one has been brewing in my mind for a while but the catalyst for its arrival was a PM expressing appreciation for my alien ship designs. I inserted a unique challenge into this one: Build with only one parts mod. So Mk2 Expansion and IntestellarFuelSwitch.

The Kraden Purple @kraden :wink:  is a deep space science vessel with up to 10,000 dV, 14 xenon engines, plenty room for 1.25m vessels and almost enough [fixed that] nuclear reactor power to steadily feed them.

It had blue lights first "The Kraden Blue" to match the xenon emissives but then it started really looking like Eddie's Odyssey and we can't be having that. :) Though if you can ask his KRnD for a measly 1.3 Mil :funds:, the builders will get cracking on this for you right away.

On KerbalX; More pics.

9aYZEOr.jpg

The hull part with circular cabin lights is the science lab.

32d3RMh.jpg

WMYGrN6.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

4 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Well I knew it was my last time with 1.0.5 before finally switch to something fresher so I start to ask myself what could I realize that I never made before and could be really stupid... a rolling piggy bank... no. A banana-like rocket... no.

No, instead it will be the... Flying Karpet.

Ugly and useless :

Z6Ehm1f.png

For this birth (and last) flight Aladdin Kerman, an innocent rookie, was the pilot in commands.

sIrKu6w.png

Rocket assisted take-off due to a terrible CoM.

A whole new world...

A new fantastic point of view... 

No one to tell us no or where to OOOOH S**T!

(...)

Hem...not really a good way to say goodbye to an old friend.

Anyway, I will go for the banana rocket the next time.

Thanks, this is now stuck in my head:

now it's also stuck in yours. :wink:

I am going to bed but I am pretty pleased.

Tickled pink.

Thing are going well for Valentina and me.

Not a simulation like earlier today. Actual play. Sent a 21t ship from Kerbin to Duna. She landed and is on her way back. She will be landed tomorrow.

I just had to load a few pics.

http://martianarepeopletoo.imgur.com/all/

Standing bye for departure

x07JWh8.png
See you back soon Kerbin old buddy
BzMHa46.png
"Watch out Duna. Ready or not here I come"
zbpjIq1.png
Retro braking
PIon1Jz.png
Nylon braking
Tv3786j.png
I take possession of this land
gyYrfIU.png
Out of my way! I am off to the tournaments. I will joust, tilt and trounce the best of them.
f5aGG8A.png

ME

I'm pretty sure its kerbin, but I do see a reddish tint to it that I wouldn't expect on kerbin, but yet the seas don't look right when I zoom in on the picture for it to be Rald.

Anyway, Yesterday I did some mun rscue contracts (3x 2 engineers and a scientist), including landings from the kerbals I rescued... I'm overflowing with engineers unfortunately and thus for 2 of them didn't transmit from mat and goo bays(since I couldn't reset). One of the rescues(the scientist) was in a funky high inclined orbit, and after biome hopping (crater basin, a narrow midlands strip around the rim, and then highlands above the rim), he came up just short of fuel... had to get out and push for an aerobrake trajectory.

Finally, from the transmissions got the science to unlock the grav detector, and then shortly after that the panther. I put some early panther-LV-T45 craft into service as SSTOs for near kerbin rescue contracts + a polar orbit to do an ore scan and get grav readings. Bob's nearly to minmus, and my mun craft got recovered, unlocked the turboramjet+ aerospike, and upgraded the panther+lvT45 spaceplane to use these, did 2 more LKO rescue contracts (finally got to 4 scientists).

Unlocked the rapier, and made a rather large cargo SSTO (2.5m fairing payload, don't have the 3.75m yet), to send a reusable mun lander to Mun.

My 1.2 space program finally transitioned to fully re-usable. Until today, it was operating mainly with kickback SRBs, a transfer stage that impacts Mun, and a direct ascent/return mission.

Todays plan: Send a craft to Mun with a research lab and fuel depot to finish off the Mun biomes, and then send an ISRU craft to Mun to refill the fuel depot.

Very very close to successfully landing my chemical rocket powered SSTA space carrier on Minmus.  In this picture it is landed, but rolling too fast towards that hill in the background.  I was trying to save the last few dozen delta V I didn't have by using the brakes instead of the engines.

Better piloting and I think I've got it.

qXLUMm0.png

2 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Did that have any airbreathers? While chemical SSTOs are easy enough, having enough dV to get to a minmus landing is another story, especially with a payload.

Nope, no airbreathers and no nukes.  Part count quickly became a problem in earlier designs that used them.

(1.1.3, still checking mods for 1.2) Largely out of town this past weekend; spent most of what time I did have in game puttering around with the Kerbinport space station on my desktop save. Sent up a refueling module, the Deepwater Horizon 7, to the station in order to refuel Jabit III currently docked at the station. Started working on designs to try and get the thirteen freeloaders off the station and came up with the Kerbal Tour Bus 7d, powered by O-10s. I haven't really used the O-10 in any designs before but I must say I like it - a trio of them did the same job as a Terrier engine without me having to add a separate re-entry package to the vehicle. The design performed well although I cooked off all three O-10s during re-entry, so I'll be investigating moving the engines upwards and maybe putting an oversized heat shield on it (maybe make it a puller instead of a normal pusher). She also almost ran out of power during re-entry, a side effect of the onboard Reaction Stabilizer, which I added since the thing only has an OKTO2 for control. Design barely made orbit with the current booster (50 m/s remaining after orbital insertion), so if I can make changes without increasing the payload mass, I'll be happy.

Since I also had a contract to put a new orbital space station around Mün and five new tourist contracts to go there, I loaded those suckers paying customers into a new space station core and launched it out that way. Haven't put it in orbit yet, and I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the station once it arrives. I suppose I could add it to the existing Munport, but there really isn't a need to double up on the core facilities.

The four freeloaders I returned from Kerbinport are still showing up at KSC, even though they have no contracts and should have disappeared. Been a while since I've had this problem - if anyone can give me a refresher on how to get these jerks out of my persistence file permanently, I'd be pretty happy. I'd rather not resort to killing Kerbals even if they are completely useless...

Freeloaders = Kerbal tourists whose contracts were scrubbed by the Kraken. Same Kraken ate my "Explore Duna" contract too...

Edited by capi3101

I spent the day performing an exhibition to the north pole in an extended range version of my Pelican.

KSP tried to kill me by blowing parts off my plane when I loaded a quicksave to finish off my journey to the North Pole

Spoiler

2PwD42c.jpg

I circumvented this by turning on unbreakable joints while it reloaded (I turned it off once physics started working).  Anyways I landed at the North Pole and got to work deploying an experimental relay mast which I am developing primarily for usage on other planets.

Spoiler

In the background an old miniature relay (which turned out to be too small) and a flag marking the pole (plaque reads: "Don't step on it!") can be seen

FjBojY3.jpg

Tests back at the KSC had made getting the thing out seem like the KSP equivalent of birthing a baby, requiring time and many "pushes" with the outrigger landing leg to get the thing to come out. At the north pole it hit me that I could just move the plane instead of the payload. It worked flawlessly, and the rig just slid right on out, with no damage.

xZ89Q46.jpgN9Us4nZ.jpg

Two small, cheap rocket engines roll the tower upright using a tiny bit of the ballast fuel, and a landing leg deploys to act as an outrigger, keeping it from tipping it back.

JQwEIzE.jpg

Shifting mass to the top of the tower to help elevate point at which KSP registers it, and thus give a little extra signal clearance. In actual use I would probably put one of these on top of a mountain on whatever body I'm using it on, but as this is just a test, I'm using this place.

DfC0mbX.jpg

Decoupling the lower tanks and rocket engines further serves to shift the COM up the tower.

I then decided that, as I wasn't even close to bingo fuel, I might as well go check out the crashed saucer.

Spoiler

TEudEfo.jpg8D87RrB.jpg

Wings snapped off on landing. I'm starting to suspect my problem is a combination of some quirk of physics from the attachment of the wings and the limited capabilities of the suspension on my gear.

LUuVw4o.jpg

I am going to be very happy when I get the bigger wheels with their nice cushy suspension. Just need about 60 more science points.

YchaVLh.jpg

At least I got to plant a flag at the saucer.

Also the mast relay seems to be working great so far.

Edit: I'm doing some drop testing of the Pelican to figure out what's going on

Edit2: It seems that the extended range version can withstand a maximum of 2.3m/s vertical impact. While I generally try not to slam my planes into the ground, I like to have a safety margin of at minimum 5m/s on career planes. Guess I have some work to do.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

The new space program has started in earnest.  The scientists and accountants and other administrative types at KSC are quickly discovering, however, that increasing their respective pools of science and funds and reputation are going to take time.  They have learned that they will only receive 40% of what they might consider to be 'normal', at least compared to some other space programs that are rumoured to exist.  So, within those constraints...

A number of simple launches were made in the beginning.  The Karman line was breached, then orbits made, experiments in orbit undertaken, and the pilots were improving the timing on their ballistics returns, getting closer and closer to landing at KSC.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-15%20at%202.24.1 

A number of rescue missions then ensued, at first picking up one at a time...

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-16%20at%2012.41. 

But then upgrades to the admin building allowed the capacity to undertake several contracts at once, so the pick up rate was increased to two at a time.  

The media were really clamouring for something exotic and groundbreaking, pressuring the admin types to take on Mun missions. A flyby, then reaching orbit, and finally a landing mission occurred.  The following ship fulfilled the Greatest Event in Kerbalkind, finally answering the age old question that yes, in fact Mun is made of stale snacks.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-16%20at%201.48.4 

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-16%20at%201.05.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-16%20at%202.57.0

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-16%20at%203.03.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-16%20at%203.27.4

With the science rewards from the min missions, many new technologies were discovered, namely Moar Boosters.  Or at least bigger ones.  This allowed a mission to pick up four loners loitering in orbit...

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-16%20at%209.21.4

And finally, one mission to pick up stranded souls around Mun (how did they get there?) and two in orbits quite far out from Kerbin, which finally made its ballistic return onto the grounds of KSC.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-16%20at%2011.12. 

Next steps are missions to explore the mint moon to appease the scientists, and to pick up more Mun-stranded weirdos to appease the accountants.