What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finally got those 4 idiots from a polar Jool orbit (for doing that those guys are going to have to spend a long time on Tylo), got a new science base flown out to Jool, met up with the Laythe Science Station habitat section (which we had to use to get those 4 idiots), and flew got it to Tylo. Then had to raid the fuel section of the Laythe Science Station and bring pretty much all that to Tylo.

So, finally landed the Tylo Science Base:

kguprf8.png

I'm amazed at the stuff you guys build in this game. I am still trying to figure out asparagus staging and building my own ship instead of using other peoples'. And I'm not even going to get into the insanity that Whackjob makes, lol.

After the rover accident, the powers that be called back the 3 Tylo survivors and they were packed into the broken spaceplane from the Laythe Science Station (it lost an engine due to a tail strike.) They will be spending some time before the investigation committe. The papers are saying that Fredlas was driving under the influence.

I was actually suprised that I got them back in the spaceplane. Also, this is the first time that I've landed a ship from beyond Kerbin orbit on the runway.

T0ETUOu.png

I'm amazed at the stuff you guys build in this game. I am still trying to figure out asparagus staging and building my own ship instead of using other peoples'. And I'm not even going to get into the insanity that Whackjob makes, lol.

To be fair, Whackjob is kinda in a league of his own. XD

Today I watched as a liquid fuel booster (part of the 2nd pair that was supposed to drop) broke apart, leaving me with an assymetrical lift and a weird fuel issue. Managed to just make orbit still. I think it was the Mainsail's vectoring that kept that thing going up. Hell, it didn't wobble more than a degree or two during the whole incident.

So today I landed a kerbal on the Mün next to an arch. Then realized I didn't have enough fuel to get back home so I sent up a hasty unmanned probe to refuel the lander... I did forget to put lights on the probe... And the landing site was on the dark side of the Mün. Yes, pucker factor was high.

the picture.

Edit: okay not a very good picture but you get the idea. :)

Edited by DasShaker

So today I landed a kerbal on the Mün next to an arch. Then realized I didn't have enough fuel to get back home so I sent up a hasty unmanned probe to refuel the lander... I did forget to put lights on the probe... And the landing site was on the dark side of the Mün. Yes, pucker factor was high.

the picture.

Edit: okay not a very good picture but you get the idea. :)

It's even scarier when its an orbital rendezvous in the dark. Friggin eclipses. XD

Test flights of my latest single pilot orbital shuttle, the Labrys Mk III (named after the double headed battle axe its wings vaguely represent), after delivering a pair to Laythe. Remote piloted one down to the surface to test it in an unmanned scenario, then flew down with an older generation plane with a pilot, landed nearby, taxied over, swapped planes and flew the Labrys back up to my orbital station.

On the way up, something quite photogenic happened. May use it for my new flag.

LabrysAndJool.png

ETA:

Speaking of Laythe, things are getting kinda busy there:

BusyLaythe.png

So I've started work on a second station - docking at this one is getting to be a bit of a 3D jigsaw puzzle!

Edited by ComradeGoat

Today I learned that getting to (and back from) Moho is a huge pain in the @%. And that Eve is probably not the right place to try aerobraking for the first time. :mad:

Now instead of my brave Kerbonaught being stuck in a nice ship with a good amount of fuel left in Moho orbit, he's now stuck on the surface of Eve with nothing but his command pod.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire...

Today I learned that getting to (and back from) Moho is a huge pain in the @%. And that Eve is probably not the right place to try aerobraking for the first time. :mad:

Now instead of my brave Kerbonaught being stuck in a nice ship with a good amount of fuel left in Moho orbit, he's now stuck on the surface of Eve with nothing but his command pod.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire...

I'm right with you there!

IPEV Voyager arrived at Moho and attempted to deploy the "Hexapuma" self-landing rover.

HSL4Gwu.png

RESULT: Rover destroyed (high velocity impact with the deck)

ANALYSIS: Rover de-orbit and descent systems inadequate for gravity wells larger than Mün or Minmus

ACTION: Dedicated delivery platform design pending

IPEV Voyager then deployed the Labrador lander (pictured docked at Voyager's aft section)

0qgP3K9.png

RESULT: Labrador destroyed (medium velocity impact with the deck), crew survived

ANALYSIS: Lander fuel supply insufficient for de-orbit/descent on planetary bodies with current engines

ACTION: Lander descent system re-design pending

vXgPuEB.png

Meanwhile, AACT-105A Slipstream II was deployed to Eve for alternative atmosphere flight tests

tx0APHp.png

RESULT: Landing successful

ANALYSIS: Extremely dense atmosphere at low altitudes allows for very short landing roll-out.

ACTION: None required

Taking off again, however, proved to be a particularly difficult challenge.

RESULT: **DAMAGE EVENT**: TAILSTRIKE (ventral engine nacelles destroyed). Inverted ascent attempted to compensate for tendency to dive while powered by remaining dorsal engines. Loss of control above 23,000 km. Vehicle returned to surface and re-purposed as permanent landing beacon for future arrivals.

ANALYSIS: AACT-105 design is not applicable for ground takeoffs on non-level operating field (ground clearance too low)

ACTION: AACT-105B Slipstream III VTOL design flight approval pending

I use SCANSat a bit and found an anomaly on Minmus so I sent Jeb up to check it out. I landed about 300m away from the thing on the dark side, but I did remember to put lights on my lander this time. Some scientists back home are arguing about whether this means there is other life out there or if ancient Kerbals may have had a space program........

(Spoiler?)

Minmus Monolith

Today I built an ssto that only uses it's rockets to bring it's PE above the atmosphere!

I was trying to beat the MachingBird challenge, but my craft would go into space too early. Then I noticed this could be a useful effect. After adding the small orange engines and little fuel takes on to the wings...

The SSTO 1!

Takeoff:

screenshot2.png

Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace:

screenshot3.png

Map View after orbital burn:

screenshot5.png

Cinematic Picture of Sunset:

screenshot6.png

Today I (re-)learned (for the nth time) the importance of reaction wheels and/or RCS (by not having them). I also (again, re-)learned that if your engines are higher than your center of mass, SAS gimbaling works against you.

Luckily, I had Vertical Velocity Control installed which gave me the time I needed to slowly come down, fixing my horizontal velocity with tilt alone, and TweakableEverything installed to reverse the gimbaling of my engines. Those two mods together made something that would have been impossible, only take about 5 tries. :D