Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

It's an interesting idea, but would likely get annoying to anyone in orbit - it would be like having a Magic Boulder in orbit of Kerbin. Not sure what it would do to the physics engine, either (a 2500km-long collider is nothing to sneeze at, I don't even know if KSP could HANDLE that).

As someone who isn't participating in this project but just following it from the outside, it's awesome! It's something I've wanted to see for a good while, and I'm really happy that it's happening.

Is there any change you guys will do an art pass and try to stick to a coherent art style? Basing it on something like Bac's texturing would be really good - there's lot of variety model-wise, and that's great, but the different texturing styles are slightly suboptimal.

Hey guys. So, I have a few, all be it radical, ideas that I want your opinions on.

You have an interesting shape, but I refer you to the original post:

[*]Keep it real - no antimatter floating buildings or magical elven super trees. You are free to design be it modern style, art deco, classical, high tech, whatever you want, but make sure that it is something that can be done with today's Earthly technology.

Plus, not everyone who would like the city would like such an easy way into space.

My suggestions:

-Perhaps use the model for something else?

-Or, make it as an independent kerbtown item.

That out of the way, I suggest we share textures we create.

This way, we get more bang for our memory usage.

I can imagine making use of the brick texture on the bridge, or the tiles on the airport, or the window texture Devo showed, and someone else making a classical-ish style thing could make use of the column-window texture I'm planning when I make the final version. :cool:

And something I'd like to see as a modular object is a park bench. This could be re-used in parks, on the street, and on station platforms. Proportions could be based on the external seat part.

Edited by Tw1

Here some of the buildings I'm working on when I've got free time waiting for Phase C. I need to finish and improve textures on the skyscrapers plaza and the University entrance hall is almost done. 84pho65tgxtvca26g.jpgdlxfch4y73tgkpb4g.jpg

Sorry I've posted no updates, I ended up on holiday for a week with no mousemat. I had two whole days free but I couldn't do the modelling without the mouse. Back now, and have a usable surface. I got a bit tired of doing the radio tower and started a building for my plot: wNgwLm0.png Sorry about the steam thing, just some primitives's anyway...

Started work on the Kerbin Grand Hotel. It's got a roof pool!

Also has a cool interconnection to crash into!

that looks awesome I am looking forward to try and dodge it .

also the space station would be able to be done since the objects placed in kerbtown seem to be stuck to kerbin itself and rotates with it .so actually you could do it at any altitude .also I like the idea of an space elevator.

Hi I am an architect, and I would love to get a plot on the future island, I would like to put a massive skyscraper, right in the middle as a triumph to kerbal engineering, It probably would be >1Km

here is some stuff I have done

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/yn28P8G.png[\img]

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/ZSc7Bg7.png[\img]

latest actual project (wip)

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/zbMrXBN.jpg[\img]

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/2GJ9Uam.jpg[\img]

Hi I am an architect, and I would love to get a plot on the future island, I would like to put a massive skyscraper, right in the middle as a triumph to kerbal engineering, It probably would be >1Km here is some stuff I have doneyn28P8G.pngZSc7Bg7.pnglatest actual project (wip)zbMrXBN.jpg2GJ9Uam.jpg
fixed image links

DjEmZVs.png

Just a start. I'll probably shrink down the buildings even though the recommended 129600 square meter area is a lot to fill. :0.0:

This is assuming I get a building permit on one of the future islands. :rolleyes:

Edit: I'll probably use my plot for an office complex in the style you see above. Need offices in Kerbin City? Right here. :D

I'll start leasing/distributing spaces once the model and textures are done and I have a plot.

Edited by OrbitusII

I applied for a plot on the future island several times, but for some reason never got put on the list. So I just started moddelling anyway, I'll probably have something to show a bit later.

Great work guys. Looking forward to the updates.

Is there any place to submit bug reports? Such as for missing or bugged collision meshes.

I have a habit of landing on everything with VTOLs so might as well put it to use and log issues.

OK guys, I see a lot of good previews, but you, phase A developers, should really start sending me your models, at least test models. We should get going with filling up the Eastern island, cause it's getting slower.

In other words, you have 48 hours (2 days) to send me your models, when I will start packing build 2!

As for organization, I am just making a spreadsheet to solve all the little nuances.

News: Mr.Desmond Tiny is leaving the project because his school started. So his plot is probably free until I confirm that (waiting for a reply if he made any models so far)

Edited by nothke

Preliminary WIP spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq-Kp1pObiWgdEVRSG54eHFtS2NKWFoyZHJranFub1E&usp=sharing

If I forgot someone or something, you can right click on the cell and insert a comment. (If it doesn't work you can write here on the forum).

This will be the main place of progress, status and "who's doing what", from now on!

I think I went a bit overboard on those standard textures.... ZhytcLL.png And on the note of giving you models, I will start working on it Immediately(Read:As soon as I have a shower. Just got back from Sailing regatta. Busy weekend!)