Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

Hey guys, I was just going to refuel a lander on my Mun base and when the Kerbal got into the ship everything exploded and got thrown away at high speeds, some things even reached sun escape velocity.

I managed to repair some of the damage with the in game cheats and Hyper edit. What is going on, why did everything all of a sudden start doing this? I've recreated the phenomenon with a spaceplane and space station in LKO, it also exploded. While recreating the base, I connected everything with pipes again and when the kerbal entered it all exploded again :(

For anyone else who's tried to make the container bay storable, grabbable, and/or attachable...

[B]attachOnEva = False[/B]

This combines the config heralo came up with that fixes the model with some parameters I'd picked to position things better and make the racks storable.

According to a comment in the part.cfg for the container bay, there was some kind of bug with scaling that must have prevented the use of the model node. I tried to look it up, but there isn't any bug listed at the given URL (either open, closed, or anything else, as if it was deleted). However, everything *seems* to work just fine using this config.

Are you sure of this (1st bold text) ?

By default, even without the "A Mechanic Is Jeb" file, container can be taken by Kerbals and attached on EVA too.

Second bold text: AFAIK, false means you can't attach them back to something with kerbals.

The same thought regarding comment on scaling, but can't access the link, perhaps a typical old issue which is now obsolete but has never been cleaned-up/updated.

Are you sure of this (1st bold text) ?

I only see one bold text.

I am sure it's grabbable and attachable. I tested it in the game.

I am not by any means sure but I'm under the impression that "attachOnEva" means "able to attach it to an EVA'd Kerbal."

By default, even without the "A Mechanic Is Jeb" file, container can be taken by Kerbals and attached on EVA too.

No it can't. A container cannot be attached to anything by an EVA'd Kerbal. It can only be grabbed. The only place you can put it (other than dropping it so it becomes debris) is in a container bay. Container bays are not grabbable or attachable by default. This config makes that bay grabbable and attachable, not the containers themselves.

I think you may be thinking containers and container bays are the same thing?

Well, that's all too vague. If you found a way to reliably reproduce it, describe the exact steps. Also, is that with the current released version?

It is quite simple to reproduce, attach a pipeline from one vessel to another, then enter one of the connected vessels. Either both will be flung at great speeds or they will collide and explode. (newest release)

It is quite simple to reproduce, attach a pipeline from one vessel to another, then enter one of the connected vessels. Either both will be flung at great speeds or they will collide and explode. (newest release)

Doesn't happen for me, therefore is not quite so simple to reproduce.

Flying or landed? On the launch pad? On Mun? In orbit around what? What exactly are the crafts made of? 2 mk1 pods on the launch pad? 2 300-part ships orbiting Eeloo? I can tell you I've connected many many things together via pipes and I haven't had an explosion for months.

If it happened to every single ship in every single situation for everybody, you'd not be the only one describing this problem. So, there must be something unique to your situation.

I haven't had an explosion for months.

--H.M. Kerman the 5th, Extraplanetary Safety Commission

I only see one bold text.

I am sure it's grabbable and attachable. I tested it in the game.

I am not by any means sure but I'm under the impression that "attachOnEva" means "able to attach it to an EVA'd Kerbal."

The second one is barely visible, it's the lonely "code" line.

According to official wiki (KASModuleGrab module doc):

attachOnEva: Allow part to be attached on kerbal eva

So I think it should be use for all small enough parts (unless we have an Hercule/Superkerbal/Steve Kaustin kerbal :) ) in order to move them to where we want to assemble the thing unless we do this closely enough to where the parts are.

No it can't. A container cannot be attached to anything by an EVA'd Kerbal. It can only be grabbed. The only place you can put it (other than dropping it so it becomes debris) is in a container bay. Container bays are not grabbable or attachable by default. This config makes that bay grabbable and attachable, not the containers themselves.

I think you may be thinking containers and container bays are the same thing?

And you're right, I have mixed bay and containers themselves, sorry.

The documentation is quite confusing for some points, especially regarding kind of "EVA building" (or just building outside SPH/VAB), I can't imagine how you can attach two parts together from inside a ship :D, there might be some magic arms or "transformers" magic to assemble them, I'll need to work on this.

hmm, maybe I should have looked into the bug a little more before posting. Turns out that the Probe IVA mod renders KAS unusable. All crafts get destroyed like I mentioned earlier is Probe IVA is installed :(

BTW: Any way to rotate parts that I want to attach in another axis than b/n?

Edited by erkha343

BTW: Any way to rotate parts that I want to attach in another axis than b/n?

I know each alt key changes the axis, but I'm not sure if that's all that works. Try other modifiers.

I keep trying until I get it or get sick of trying, which means if I don't get it in about 5 seconds I give up and just attach it as best I can :D

Need some help.. It appears as though I can't attach anything on EVA any more if, after grabbing it, I close the right click menu. Right clicking on the part isn't recognised as you can see and so far, the only way I've been able to reactivate the menu is by entering a pod (thereby dropping it), going back out immediately and grabbing the thing floating next to me. Anyone know what's going wrong? I've no idea what caused this, but would love to try and find out.

oJPlXje.png

Need some help.. It appears as though I can't attach anything on EVA any more if, after grabbing it, I close the right click menu. Right clicking on the part isn't recognised as you can see and so far, the only way I've been able to reactivate the menu is by entering a pod (thereby dropping it), going back out immediately and grabbing the thing floating next to me. Anyone know what's going wrong? I've no idea what caused this, but would love to try and find out.

http://i.imgur.com/oJPlXje.png

I got the same yesterday when I wanted to move a ladder I just assumed it was the size of the thing clipping my kerbal in half! I used the h key in the end to do it, but if you have one of my mods installed I'm fearing that this might be the culprit - if you remove the gameData/psyper/scripts folder and reload the game what happens?

..if you have one of my mods installed I'm fearing that this might be the culprit - if you remove the gameData/psyper/scripts folder and reload the game what happens?

Unfortunately, I don't have anything from you installed (had to delete Kethane+, haven't got round to reinstalling it yet but I will soon, now you have those awesome tanks from blackheart), so that's not it.

Also, this has been bugging me since I first installed KAS - is there a way to remove the mouse2 button binding from attaching stuff on EVA? So many times I've moved the camera to get a better angle for attaching a thing, only to have to enable attachment mode again. Seriously - I already have space, enter and escape as disable bindings, I don't need another that already has a function on EVA.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Is there any way to make the standard squad command pods/lander cans hold stuff like the part containers? In order to make SpaceX-like launches to resupply my space station.

Yes there is.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]{

%MODULE[KASModuleContainer]
{
maxSize = 20
}
}

This module manager config would add the functionality you desire. You may notice the amount is quite small. Well, with all the technology and life support systems and reaction wheels and snack storage in the pods, there wouldn't realistically be much room for carrying big things. Certainly enough to carry a few struts and pipes and lights and solar panels in case of emergencies. Not enough to resupply a station. If you want more capacity, change the 20 to something else.

Hi there,

it would seem I've found a small bug. :)

Preface: I'm fully aware that I did something stupid. I expected it to break, I did it anyways, and it broke.

The Setup: An active Extraplanetary Launchpads "Recycle Bin" on the ground, a crane-rover with a winch at the top, a fuel tank hanging from said winch in docked mode.

The Experiment:

A) Position the tank over the recycle bin and disconnect the winch. Tank falls into bin and is recycled. -> Works as expected.

B) Position the tank over the recycle bin and lower it down into the bin. The whole rover is recycled since it's all one vessel. -> Works as expected.

C) Position the tank over the recycle bin, set the winch to undocked mode and lower the tank into the bin. The tank is recycled and the winch spazzes out spectacularly, spewing NREs all over the place. -> Breaks as expected. :cool:

I have no idea if this (a connected part quite suddenly disappearing) can even be handled correctly or if you deem it just to much trouble to guard against idiots, but at least now you know. :P

Version: I'm using the latest checkout from a.g.'s github repo, commit 8d0f950cca. (The fuel pipe pumps work great btw, thanks for that.)

Bonus Question: I had to activate the pump on an unexpected end, but it was also a KSPI ISRU Refinery pumping fuel into a tank, and we all know from Kethane that that's a "unique" situtation.

What happens when I activate the pump on both ends?

C) Position the tank over the recycle bin, set the winch to undocked mode and lower the tank into the bin. The tank is recycled and the winch spazzes out spectacularly, spewing NREs all over the place. -> Breaks as expected. :cool:

I have no idea if this (a connected part quite suddenly disappearing) can even be handled correctly or if you deem it just to much trouble to guard against idiots, but at least now you know. :P

Hmm, there's an onPartDestroyed event. Hooking it might be the way to go.

I had a little feature request for the KASModuleGrab module:

we have dropPartPos and dropPartRot (I don't even know if these two it makes any sense as who cares how part will be drop ?), could attachPartPos and attachPartRot be added ?

For some non symetric parts, angle is completely wrong and the b/n only allow rotate on y axis (rotate on two other axis could be added too)

For some non symetric parts, angle is completely wrong and the b/n only allow rotate on y axis (rotate on two other axis could be added too)

10 posts before yours:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53134-Kerbal-Attachment-System-%28KAS%29-0-4-6-Smarter-part-containers-fewer-explosions%21?p=1034281&viewfull=1#post1034281