[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

I'm having quite a weird bug with my install and searching for the problem and asking around doesn't seem to be helping. Does anyone know why clouds on the dark side of atmospheric planets turn black? I think It's something graphical with the transparency that's going horribly wrong. Kerbin and Duna look hideous when not on the light side but Eve and Jool are just entirely black when not in the sun. Here's a video of Kerbin with the bug clearly visible.  http://puu.sh/ox71Y/c490d357a5.flv

On 4/23/2016 at 3:40 PM, rbray89 said:

All of this is expected behavior.There are no EVE_ATMOSPHERE ore EVE_TERRAIN configs (WIP, not ready for release) And when it says Invalid Name, that is for adding new configs. 

To clarify, do you mean just that the configs are WIP and not ready to release or that those features haven't been implemented yet for 1.1?

I was doing a bit of fiddling with the RVE configs while working on and testing the RSS pre-release a few days ago. I figure I will wait a week or two to see if @pingopete comes out with a new RVE for 1.1, if not I will look at the source for EVE to see if I can figure out why I can't get EVE_TERRAIN to work for Earth (if it is even enabled currently for EVE under 1.1)

https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/blob/Linux64/RVE/EVE/Terrain/terrain.cfg

On 26-4-2016 at 1:40 PM, swjr-swis said:

I will second this toggle request. And a little bit out of scope for EVE, but I would be then interested in a second toggle/option: one to make the no-clouds view a 'radar'-like terrain image, which is a common way of penetrating cloud layers that visible light cannot.

Have you tried using SCANsat for it? Like making it a mission to get a clear view of the planet beneath the clouds.

OK, I've got a really interesting problem in D3D11 mode (32-bit). Instead of the volumetric clouds I get an expressionist painting in the sky:

The logs are even more interesting. ksp.log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8is267uskdj4eau/KSP.log?dl=0

The output log contains approx 4MB of pure shader borkage:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fddj77hke0q2gwg/output_log.txt?dl=0

EDIT: Sorry if I wrecked someone's browser with that code, I know I crashed my own. I REALLY did not expect my post will be admitted with 120k lines of code in it.

Edited by m4ti140
disarming the warhead-replacing code with links to db

19 minutes ago, m4ti140 said:

OK, I've got a really interesting problem in D3D11 mode (32-bit). Instead of the volumetric clouds I get an expressionist painting in the sky:

Don't use DX11. It is in a pretty unusable state at the moment.

13 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Don't use DX11. It is in a pretty unusable state at the moment.

Well, I didn't have other problems so far, besides occasional shadow glitches and I cannot run dx9 without running out of memory (32-bit system). I guess I'll have to give up on visual mods for now, thanks anyway.

1 minute ago, m4ti140 said:

Well, I didn't have other problems so far, besides occasional shadow glitches and I cannot run dx9 without running out of memory (32-bit system). I guess I'll have to give up on visual mods for now, thanks anyway.

:( I hope you'll be able to use them in the future though. They're a sight to behold :)

26 minutes ago, m4ti140 said:

You *CAN* use openGL from my testing.

2 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

You *CAN* use openGL from my testing.

I get pink screens in RPM in ogl mode (at least in the new one, gonna try the legacy opengl)

On 4/26/2016 at 5:09 AM, Tekener said:

I managed to get the Duna duststorms back and also add the old Kerbin atmosphere layers.

Just extract this zip into the GameData folder:
http://tekener.com/KSP/BoulderCo.zip

That is exactly what I was looking for, Thank you. I put the boulderCo folder into my GameData folder, yet I do not see multiple cloud layers, still just the one when I get into the game, is there anything else that I need to do to make this work? I really miss having multiple thick cloud layers, like how it was with the old astronomers pack.

I have not checked Duna yet for dust storms but I will send an expeditionary mission to Duna to find out, might be a while, just started a new game so still just shooting for the mun for now. :wink:

Edited by veritassapere

1 hour ago, veritassapere said:

That is exactly what I was looking for, Thank you. I put the boulderCo folder into my GameData folder, yet I do not see multiple cloud layers, still just the one when I get into the game, is there anything else that I need to do to make this work? I really miss having multiple thick cloud layers, like how it was with the old astronomers pack.

I have not checked Duna yet for dust storms but I will send an expeditionary mission to Duna to find out, might be a while, just started a new game so still just shooting for the mun for now. :wink:

Sorry, it's not bringing back the multiple Kerbin cloud layers, just the atmosphere layers by adding more blue the higher you get when looking back at Kerbin. Using ALPHAMAP_A instead of ALPHAMAP_B in the clouds.cfg already gave me personaly enough clouds.:) But it should be also possible to get them back like Duna's duststorms.

1 hour ago, Tekener said:

Sorry, it's not bringing back the multiple Kerbin cloud layers, just the atmosphere layers by adding more blue the higher you get when looking back at Kerbin. Using ALPHAMAP_A instead of ALPHAMAP_B in the clouds.cfg already gave me personaly enough clouds.:) But it should be also possible to get them back like Duna's duststorms.

That ALPHAMAP_A certainly does give me more clouds, thanks! :)

Question, whose answer I have not been able to find so far:
Is there a setting to limit from how far away the cloud layers will be visible? As in if I'm millions of kilometers from Jool, I could skip out on rendering its cloud layers and optimize my performance. I found a setting that appears to disable a planet's PQS past a certain distance, but nothing that seems like it would disable a cloud layer.

15 hours ago, Tekener said:

How i can use Using ALPHAMAP_A instead of ALPHAMAP_B in the clouds.cfg ?

Hi, bit of technical feedback here. Eve is good, but nearby planets and to the ground the textures and light sources kind of tend to scale poorly.

I was wondering if megatexturing might be a better solution for EVE. It's supported in Unity 5 and allows you to maintain detail at all distances at no significant memory increase. Tradeoff is a larger download size, but I don't think that will hold many people back from EVE at this point.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SparseTextures.html

20 minutes ago, Tricky14 said:

Hi, bit of technical feedback here. Eve is good, but nearby planets and to the ground the textures and light sources kind of tend to scale poorly.

I was wondering if megatexturing might be a better solution for EVE. It's supported in Unity 5 and allows you to maintain detail at all distances at no significant memory increase. Tradeoff is a larger download size, but I don't think that will hold many people back from EVE at this point.

one litle biiiig problem about that i will quote from unity page what you link:

"Note that not all hardware and platforms support sparse textures. For example, on DirectX systems they require DX11.2 (Windows 8.1) and a fairly recent GPU. On OpenGL they require ARB_sparse_texture extension support."

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SparseTexture.html

atm KSP is work only with DX9 > DX11 & Opengl are not functional so that i think it will be a problem :)

3 minutes ago, Blacks said:

one litle biiiig problem about that i will quote from unity page what you link:

"Note that not all hardware and platforms support sparse textures. For example, on DirectX systems they require DX11.2 (Windows 8.1) and a fairly recent GPU. On OpenGL they require ARB_sparse_texture extension support."

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SparseTexture.html

atm KSP is work only with DX9 > DX11 & Opengl are not functional so that i think it will be a problem :)

Oh, missed that. I swear this existed in before DX11... :(

Well maybe a future version of KSP will support DirectX 11 again. Scatterer kinda already needs it anyway.

Edited by Tricky14

13 minutes ago, Tricky14 said:

Oh, missed that. I swear this existed in before DX11... :(

Well maybe a future version of KSP will support DirectX 11 again. Scatterer kinda already needs it anyway.

Yes, but for me OpenGL causes shadow issues and DX 11 is crashing instantly when try using it with 64 bit.

So Scatterer using the higher DX stuff is nice to have for demonstrating DX11 on 32 bit, but not when you actually want to play with some mods on. Then you need 64 bit and that's only somewhat stable with DX 9 :(

well about DX9, DX11 & OpenGL this post, i know is not updated or a little old but is good inaff to clarifie some ...

An updated situation about KSP functionality it will be good to from this perspective from a KSP developer :)

Cheers

2 hours ago, SquaredSpekz said:

Celestial Shadows? So Mun creates shadow on Kerbin?

Exactly! Be on the lookout for it. Craft aren't currently affected yet though.

2 hours ago, Tricky14 said:

I actually do something similar in the shader (the large equirectangular format has been replaced with a multi-map system. Textures can now be represented as 6 (or 2) textures where RGB components equate to the different sides of the cubemap, or one channel in the 6 textures is used for one alpha mask). The problem isn't actually the mechanism, it is my awful textures (programmer not an artist) If you open up the textures in GIMP or PS you'll see what I mean. Other pack authors actually know what they are doing in graphics packages. I just supply the backend :) Right now my textures are 2k (actually scaled from 1k without any detailing), but they could easily be bumped up to 8k (for machines that can handle it)

1 hour ago, rbray89 said:

I just supply the backend :) Right now my textures are 2k (actually scaled from 1k without any detailing), but they could easily be bumped up to 8k (for machines that can handle it)

Cool beans. :)

That's actually the one thing that would never become a direct issue with megatexturing. The only thing that would have a direct influence on memory usage with that technique would be the amount of nearby geometry, not the total amount of textures in a given area. It heavily benefits from occlusion also, although there's admittedly not a lot of use for that in KSP (barring maybe geometry directly behind player crafts). The thing is, even nearby geometry is hardly ever complex. I don't even remember the last time I saw worldspaces in a game with so few polygons in them. Maybe some flight sim? Or WoW?

Anyhow, without DX11 it's a moot point. I have no idea what the devs plans are for KSP, I am not actively following development. I did hear some user say the next big update was going to be a graphics update. Not sure if there's much truth to that, or if DirectX will be involved at all.

Edited by Tricky14

1 hour ago, rbray89 said:

The problem isn't actually the mechanism, it is my awful textures (programmer not an artist) If you open up the textures in GIMP or PS you'll see what I mean. Other pack authors actually know what they are doing in graphics packages. I just supply the backend :)

Ugh I still don't know how @Astronomer made his amazing cloud textures! I found one or two of them on google in various places but the majority of them he must have made himself. Proot did a fantastic job on his own textures as well :).