Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

You are just the guy I was thinking about. Would you say I can do this >30º degree hinge with wto little radial engines on top of each other acting as hinge between two I-beams? More engines will give me more hinge? It's a matter of more legs instead? Try as I might, I haven't been able to go over 30º. But I haven't tried much, so your expertise will surely be of much help.

as far as i can see rune you need less legs

two per side are anough. your cargoramp goes straight down ride now right?

turn the two landinglegs on the inside around 180 and led them press away from you hinge.

and where the landinglegs touch the cargoramp put down cubic actagonal struts and use them as stairs to increase you angle

Rune. I'm starting to believe I can make anything fly in KSP, because that configuration is just plain nuts.

LOL, I had that exact same thought after I made a giant box out of structural panels and put two little wings on it and it flew perfectly. :D

I like the dropship, Ive wanted to try one for ages. They are so cool.

Ok, maybe the jet engine setup was off-center, with only 2 it fly stable but it's really slow

110jewi.png

EDIT/Update

Ok now the old Setup is also stable

nr0s3s.png

Update 2

now it can start on landing gear and reaching easily 300k orbit but forget the enrgie supply :huh:

2ngeano.png

Edited by 9t3ndo

9t3ndo, that is a slick looking plane if I ever saw one, and so I've rep'ed. Continuing with the "Quinjet" (zekes is gonna die of boredom before he gets to do turn 2 of our battle), I am very happy to report, not only does it VTOL on just two jets, it flies halfway decent and most important of all... SSTO without modifications! It can even lift off conventionally without VTOL engines before the end of the runway, I must have had an inspired day.

http://i.imgur.com/q4RdA06.png

http://imgur.com/a/xzI2L

Yeah, that could be an option. The only problem is I wouldn't know where to put the upwards-pushing legs without ruining the looks. The bay door is the next thing on the list, It kinda works right now but I want to rate it for vehicles... perhpas I will hinge the door on top with a Klaw, since I know that method very well and it works great. Plus, a ramp that ends in a point doesn't really work for wheeled vehicles, so I'll just retract gear to make the whole bay floor level with the ground.

Rune. I'm starting to believe I can make anything fly in KSP, because that configuration is just plain nuts.

How can you make the wings bend?

In response to rune on pg 153

Thanks. I thought I was doing this by putting the nuke at the end of a cubic strut, and then putting the tanks over it back connected to the tank before, but I guess that means the cubic strut is also sharing with the tank attachment, so u guess that means I need to turn it 180 deg around. I'll have to try that.

Well, it's a neat design i think! Looks like it could carry 250tons based off my SSTOs. Largest plane I made only got 40tons up to orbit but it was proportionately smaller.

I've not tried to build anything quite this big before. As far as I can work out the problem isn't the numbers as such, it has a 2:1 thrust ratio on jets with no cargo and so, with the addition of a truly ridiculous number of air intakes, should have the thrust to hit orbital velocity at 33K fairly easily with it's own weight in cargo (eat your heart out NASA).

The problem is going to be stability and control. It's either not going to be controllable or it's going to get through so much RCS (or fuel O2 mix with vernors) controlling it that it's going to have to weigh a lot more. It's either that or put enormous wings on with massive control surfaces and it's already nearly (or possibly over) 1000 parts (pre-air intakes!) and barely fits inside the Spaceplane hanger.

I was, and still am, determined to try to finish it without mods. I did have to turn on indestructible buildings though :)

If it can carry a massive payload into orbit then landing should be easy as it will be very light when it comes back to Kerbin. Provided the CoM doesn't move much.

Barely a pixel :D

Definitely now called 'The Flying Breadbox' Thank you Ravenchant :D

Edited by Fellow314

I'm working at F-16 for 0.25 version.

I already built main body:

http://imgur.com/a/CNDby

I got problems with main wings. I can't make it both: smooth and good shape.

LINK for beta photos

Hey Mareczex333 i have a old subassamblie for you that i originally created for a f-16 replica. that maybe help's that the ladie don't looking so "potbellied" - that was all the time my problem to build one

structual intake.sub

1z312lk.png

I've been testing booster separation motors -- I have a weird obsession with them. Booster separation is just so... elegant. Watching the SRB's separate on the Space Shuttle was so satisfying so I'm testing the separation motor positions with a Kerbalized SLS. I'm not sure if the separation motors are positioned the same way on SLS as they were with the Space Shuttle but I'd guess they are to save development cost. My version isn't an exact replica; the real Space Shuttle has four motors in each nosecone and four motors at the bottom.

I used a wonderful mod called StripSymmetry to get them perfectly aligned. It lets you place things then remove the symmetry so they can be removed one-by-one. Biotronic made the mod. EditorExtensions also helped along as always. :)

That is Mulbin's Kerbalized American flag there

eminEAS.gif7wwVFgZ.pngLFKQhZp.pngrch1YBX.png

srb_separation_big.gif
Edited by Woopert

Presenting: The Hawkeye Cruiser

Seen here in red

K7Dlpfz.jpg

Has docking ports of every size, and is fully capable of interplanetary travel.

A Cruiser with green lights making a low pass over Moho.

FMDdsl7.jpg

Every style of docking port means nearly anything can attach to it.

Seen here with a lander pod over Kerbin.

ZHj7RaE.jpg

I've been testing booster separation motors -- I have a weird obsession with them. Booster separation is just so... elegant. Watching the SRB's separate on the Space Shuttle was so satisfying so I'm testing the separation motor positions with a Kerbalized SLS. I'm not sure if the separation motors are positioned the same way on SLS as they were with the Space Shuttle but I'd guess they are to save development cost. My version isn't an exact replica; the real Space Shuttle has four motors in each nosecone and four motors at the bottom.

I used a wonderful mod called StripSymmetry to get them perfectly aligned. It lets you place things then remove the symmetry so they can be removed one-by-one. Biotronic made the mod. EditorExtensions also helped along as always. :)

That is Mulbin's Kerbalized American flag there

http://i.imgur.com/eminEAS.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/7wwVFgZ.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/LFKQhZp.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/rch1YBX.png

http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/Images/StarChild/space_level2/srb_separation_big.gif

All you need to do is angle the thrusters and it'll be perfect!

fyzSJab.png

^That took a lot of tweaking.

Currently working on my Beta series. It's supposed to complement the Alpha series, but instead of being 2.5m based, they're 3.75m based. I'm trying to design them so their payload capacity starts above the Alpha IV (soon to be Alpha III when their fairing update arrives).

FJJXIjz.jpg?1

Both share a very similar first stage. The Beta I (expanded and normal view on the left) has 2 SRBs and lifts 37t. The Beta II (two on the right) has 4 SRBs an lifts 48t. This is not their final payload capacity, as the fairing en deorbit system haven't been designed yet. Not entirely sure about the SRB's though, but that's why they're still very much a WIP :P

I've given it a bit of a break but here's my River Class Offshore Patrol Vessel, its still heavily a WIP,

It's currently unarmed however I'd love to put in a stock weapon system such as my stock, vertically launched CMRMM (Common Multi-Role Modular Missile), which I designed based on the CAMM and maybe even my stock RGM-84 Harpoon.

I did manage to get it floating but then I decided to test its armour and blew hole in it with several of my stock MM38 Exocet Anti-Ship Missiles. (If anyone would like any of the .craft files for my stock weapon subassemblies then I might post a thread containing them all.

The river class at present has 2 of the basic jet engines which gives a maximum speed of 7 m/s in the water, so not as fast as I'd like either.

Of course a gigantic imgur album to go with it.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'll post a download link, just in case anyone wants to use this with their own designs. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8nw2ykxstl4ufyb/River%20Class%20Offshore%20Patrol%20Vessel.craft?dl=0

ReconXPanzer

Thinking i might do another rebuild before i call it finished but here is one of the things i have been working on.

Decided i wanted an SSTO that uses Aero spikes (2 aero spikes, 2 turbo jets), based the design somewhat off the SR-72 i made.

Need to think of a name for it also, thinking about stealing the name of one of my previous builds and calling it the SR-73 considering the other one is just a monstrosity for flying around kerbin.

kZJXisb.jpg

rLmXyLb.jpg

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

I always have too many irons in the fire. This may become an SSTO, but for now it's just a high altitude hypersonic jet. No intake spam, two engines, and some big meaty wings. I like it.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The wings have two layers, hidden by disabled control surfaces on the leading edge.

Edited by GusTurbo

How can you make the wings bend?

You mean the door at the back of the payload bay? I abuse how bendy the LV-1R's are (the tiny radial engines), and mount a couple of them on top of each other as hinge. Then I push on them with landing gears. Soulreaver actually does that much better than I do, so perhaps you should look up his threads (he usually starts them with "Reapers Dutch Designs" or something like that I think).

Rune. You can also use Klaws, and actually I know that method better.