[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

17 minutes ago, siliconworm said:

i am sorry that you have lost your ships, but unfortunately a lot of changes had to be made to neaten up the mod as well as add in older parts. I am hoping that moving forward no further radical changes need to be made. And to be honest, This has happened before in the past when K.Yeon retired parts and such, Hence why we are trying to Neaten it all up and have the older scrapped parts.

" The part names are wrong! The part root points are wrong! The part sizes are wrong! The part functions are wrong! And the part collision boxes are wrong! Everything is now mismatched from 1.7 to 1.8! "

Please also remember, those of us who are working on this project are NOT modders, we can do NOTHING as far as anything to do with the models are concerned which I believe Part Root Points and Collision Boxes are part of.

Edited by stali79

13 hours ago, stali79 said:

On a secondary not having an issue which could be an obvious fix, where I put on the latest ARIE engines on my test craft in the SPH but the second I am on the runway they revert models back to the old 2 part ARIEs....... 

If you are seeing part reversion like that then you have duplicate parts sharing the same name. When it launches, it uses the first part it can find with that name. Either delete the unwanted part or rename one of them. (probably deletion)

3 hours ago, stali79 said:

i am sorry that you have lost your ships, but unfortunately a lot of changes had to be made to neaten up the mod as well as add in older parts. I am hoping that moving forward no further radical changes need to be made. And to be honest, This has happened before in the past when K.Yeon retired parts and such, Hence why we are trying to Neaten it all up and have the older scrapped parts.

" The part names are wrong! The part root points are wrong! The part sizes are wrong! The part functions are wrong! And the part collision boxes are wrong! Everything is now mismatched from 1.7 to 1.8! "

Please also remember, those of us who are working on this project are NOT modders, we can do NOTHING as far as anything to do with the models are concerned which I believe Part Root Points and Collision Boxes are part of.

@siliconworm you need to take a breather and realize that you're switching from from 1.7 to 1.8+. Kyeon made a lot of changes in 1.8 the broke with 1.7, if you read this thread back a few pages you will see that your problem in all likelihood has NOTHING to do with the changes @stali79 and company have made. In fact, 1.8 was considered an EXPERIMENTAL build and not a full release, with 1.7 being the last FULL RELEASE. stali79 decided to continue the work kyeon was doing and is now incorporating older parts back into the current version (I believe). You should not expect old craft to fly, unless you are really lucky. If you are looking for an older version, that is a different matter.

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

If you are seeing part reversion like that then you have duplicate parts sharing the same name. When it launches, it uses the first part it can find with that name. Either delete the unwanted part or rename one of them. (probably deletion)

Yeah I ended up finding the duplicate and nipped it in the butt! I am currently trying to work out what to do with the old engine pods in the sense of balancing etc. the old KY engine has no fx and is grossly overpowered, I wouldn't mind trying to see if I can change it into a RAPIER style engine, and the original ARIE engine had the same model so it just needs to be balanced.

@Deimos Rast Thank you and you are right, Originally the purpose of what @Winchester and myself were doing was to ensure OPT was up to date and functional in 1.1, HOWEVER we choose to go beyond that and roll in old parts that had been retired/scrapped. This meant parts had to be renamed etc. @siliconworm Your Ships appear to be based on the 1.7/1.8Test1 version of the mod, The current 1.8.1.1 version was derived from the 1.8Test4 version. It is unfortunate that your ships have been lost to the kraken of change but hopefully this is the last it will rear its ugly head, unless the mod author decides to scrap parts again.........

Just noticed now that a new version went up on SpaceDock. Thanks for the great work guys!

Are there plans to add CKAN support? If there's no-one working on it, I volunteer to do it. I'll just need some help with some of the metadata, like:

• full list of people to credit
  • mod dependencies
  • suggested companion mods

3 hours ago, OctarineNoise said:

Just noticed now that a new version went up on SpaceDock. Thanks for the great work guys!

Are there plans to add CKAN support? If there's no-one working on it, I volunteer to do it. I'll just need some help with some of the metadata, like:

• full list of people to credit
  • mod dependencies
  • suggested companion mods

At this stage there is no plan or intent to put the mod on ckan, k.yeon might do that when he returns but at this point there are other priorities higher on the list.

4 hours ago, Science3002 said:

I was just curious about something. Are the B class cargo bays meant to be missing? Thanks for up keeping this mod!

The original bays for the now B class parts had no fuel capacity at all. That being said i have them and hope to try to add them (with no fuel capacity) in the next version.

7 hours ago, stali79 said:

At this stage there is no plan or intent to put the mod on ckan

Should I take that to mean I should stop looking at this too? I think it would help the mod a lot - also it has been on CKAN before, up until KSP 1.0.4 (OPT release 1.7). The metadata just needs to be updated again.

7 hours ago, stali79 said:

The original bays for the now B class parts had no fuel capacity at all. That being said i have them and hope to try to add them (with no fuel capacity) in the next version.

Although I prefer the new J/K class parts to the old ones, there's something to be said for the B class cargo bay: it opens on both sides. Really comes in handy sometimes.

Edited by OctarineNoise

4 minutes ago, Rushligh said:

any chance you'll offer any nose cones with better thermal shielding?  I find my ships often burn up from going to fast :(

also, any chance of some mk3 adapters?

Are you using Deadly Reentry?

And how fast and at what altitude are you flying?

I don't remember how OPT parts are configured for stock thermal but I don't  think I've seen any problems at reasonable speeds and altitudes (with DRE)

reasonable being 20-30km if I'm doing Mach 3 or higher. 

11 minutes ago, Rushligh said:

any chance you'll offer any nose cones with better thermal shielding?  I find my ships often burn up from going to fast :(

also, any chance of some mk3 adapters?

I have had overheating issues myself so I might look into increasing their thermal tolerances slightly. As for mk3 adapters you will have to wait until september when the mod author returns to active development, I am not a modder and dont have the skills to make it happen.

3 hours ago, stali79 said:

I have had overheating issues myself so I might look into increasing their thermal tolerances slightly. As for mk3 adapters you will have to wait until september when the mod author returns to active development, I am not a modder and dont have the skills to make it happen.

fair enough. for now some creative of setting has worked. btw, partially solves the cone overheating;
use the nose cone put inset another cockpit inside it; distributes heat. i also put 3 small powered radiators on each side of the nose to draw critical heat away durring escape and re-entry.

what i've mad with the new pack (loving the L pieces) the cabin in mk3.
so far unnamed craft, passenger complement of 72, crew of 8. cargo space enough to deploy a small station. enough fuel for two atmospheric hops, achieving high orbit then de-orbiting, or escaping to another local body. CtAFH1l.png

8 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Are you using Deadly Reentry?

And how fast and at what altitude are you flying?

I don't remember how OPT parts are configured for stock thermal but I don't  think I've seen any problems at reasonable speeds and altitudes (with DRE)

reasonable being 20-30km if I'm doing Mach 3 or higher. 

yes on DRE because of KSPI-E. i've had to design my SSTO's with enough fuel to retroburn from 720,000m - 560,000m. my problem is when i come in with warm engines at 2100m/s or more at 650,000m. the i get a firey death. the hulls do okay, but KSPI automatically makes all wings radiators; as such they conduct more heat and explode faster.}

i've found that placing powerful active radiators on problem spots can help. also, with nose cones, try making composite ones(left/right/top are differen segments). having more parts to share the thermal loads helps a lot too.

anyway, my point being that one would assume that OPT's near futuristic design would have better thermal tiling for hot entry. (As opposed to a controlled retro-burn).

1 hour ago, Rushligh said:

yes on DRE because of KSPI-E. i've had to design my SSTO's with enough fuel to retroburn from 720,000m - 560,000m. my problem is when i come in with warm engines at 2100m/s or more at 650,000m. the i get a firey death. the hulls do okay, but KSPI automatically makes all wings radiators; as such they conduct more heat and explode faster.}

Conducting heat doesn't make things explode faster :wink:

If anything, it has the opposite effect. In fact, REDUCING conduction (the global conductionFactor) is a trick I've used in the past to make reentry more lethal.

If wings are exploding then they might not be configured properly. OPT parts are covered in DRE and given space plane like resistance. It's possible that some of the newer wings might be missing from those configs. Or it's also possible that KSPIown changes to the wings (i.e. radiator changes) have resulted in max temps being lower than they should due to configuration errors. (see following post)

Ok guys i am needing some help with the old pod engines. Both are majorly overpowered and 1 has no exhaust effects. What i am wanting to do it turn one into a rapier style engine and balance out the other (arie). Is anyone able to help me or point me to someone who can?

Wowee, these parts are incredible! Are there any plans for a huge (but mostly hollow cargo space) K-sized crew compartment?

Edited by b0ss
There's already J crew cabins

Are there any plans to make an OPT to MK4 adapter? That would be sweet! My two favorite huge ship mods together at last! I'm thinking a MK4 to "L" adapter; their cargo bays are nearly the same size on the inside.

I agree CKAN capability would be nice, but I say stick to your plan and get the mod totally working before tackling that. Keep up the good work people!

19 hours ago, b0ss said:

Wowee, these parts are incredible! Are there any plans for a huge (but mostly hollow cargo space) K-sized crew compartment?

The C parts are probably what you are looking for.

52 minutes ago, neamerjell said:

Are there any plans to make an OPT to MK4 adapter? That would be sweet! My two favorite huge ship mods together at last! I'm thinking a MK4 to "L" adapter; their cargo bays are nearly the same size on the inside.

I agree CKAN capability would be nice, but I say stick to your plan and get the mod totally working before tackling that. Keep up the good work people!

Unfortunately development on the mod has ceased until september and i dont know what K.Yeon's plans are for it. At present i am resurrecting old parts and incorporating them into future community updates.  As for CKAN i have never used it, to me it seems like just another place to upload the mod to each time i update it.

On 5/26/2016 at 1:10 AM, stali79 said:

Ok guys i am needing some help with the old pod engines. Both are majorly overpowered and 1 has no exhaust effects. What i am wanting to do it turn one into a rapier style engine and balance out the other (arie). Is anyone able to help me or point me to someone who can?

which engines? If you're looking for engine effects, an easy route to go is RealPlume, especially RealPlume Stock Configs. Would be most excellent if you could get engine plumes made, but you'd probably need to decide on a stable number of engines first.

As for a guy to talk to, you could try CobaltWolf of BlueDog Design Bureau fame - he does rockets mainly (I think), but he's incredibly knowledgeable and super friendly/helpful - and he seems to know everyone. I don't know that he does space planes much, but I'm sure he knows someone who does. Best I can come up with. Oh, and maybe few of the bigger names from the FAR craft repository forum thread . A lot of spaceplane addicts seem to hang out there.

That's all I can come up with at 5am on no sleep. :wink:

---edit---

A better guy to talk to might be blowfish of B9 and AJE fame. He does do Aviation stuff and things, to put it mildly.

Edited by Deimos Rast

How are you all launching your planes? Ever Plane I make (or any thing for that mater) with landing gear or wheels explodes as soon as i load it from the SPH? Has anyone found a fix for this? I have only found one wheel that works ever since 1.1 and 1.2. If there is a fix I don't know it please help.