[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

heliobyte and regex, you're really helping your cause by being so super-likable. /s

on the last page at least, no one has bothered you for updates, no one has asked 'when when when?', and someone asked what 'tm' as an abbreviation could stand for.

the result? regex in douche-mode. wonderful. just wonderful. exactly the way to motivate people to start helping you!

Edited by sackfalte

A question for those who have been running heavily-modded RO KSP either on linux or with x64 hack:

How much RAM does KSP approximately take? I was thinking playing with all the recommended mods, 8k textures, RVE and scatterer, but I currently have only 8GB RAM and I would like to know if 16 will be enough or if I should go even higher.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Mirean said:

A question for those who have been running heavily-modded RO KSP either on linux or with x64 hack:

How much RAM does KSP approximately take? I was thinking playing with all the recommended mods, 8k textures, RVE and scatterer, but I currently have only 8GB RAM and I would like to know if 16 will be enough or if I should go even higher.

Thanks

I intend to run within 16 GB of RAM myself. In my experience so far I haven't exceeded ~8GB of ram usage, but I could see getting a bit over that once RVE updates and I'm running raidernick parts + FASA + other parts packs.

1 hour ago, Mirean said:

I play with 4K textures and I have to prune my parts to get a stable install on 8GB of RAM.  I do play with a decent selection of parts, though.  16GB should probably be plenty good for an 8K install, I imagine?

21 hours ago, bob615511 said:

This is probably a bad question, but does "(tm)" mean tomorrow in this context?

(tm) doesn't mean any specific time in this context, as has been said it is a running joke.

RSS might be out in a couple of days, time permitting for a release to be assembled. RealFuels is being tested, so it could be ready in something like a week or two. Estimates aren't really possible since they entirely depend on what else is going on in the modders lives, and some mods depend on other mods to update in tandem. An unexpected bug find and fix in one could set back another by days or weeks.

3 hours ago, Mirean said:

Thanks

I did a test run with some of the required and recommended part mods, along with 8K planet textures and a beefed up version of RVE (8K main cloud textures, 8K cloud details, separate cloud textures for every planetary body with atmosphere) and it was using approximately 10 to 11 GiB.

So, 16 GiB would cover almost everything (excluding something like "install all the mods!"). Remember that:

• The OS might allocate more RAM blocks than the minimum required (to have some headroom against "RAM surges").
  • Unused RAM is useless RAM. Try to use as much as you can without exceeding the physical limits (SSD/HDD caching will destroy your performance).

3 hours ago, Mirean said:

Thanks

heavily modded game (100+ mods including RSS) gets me on linux to 14-15G but I only have 8G so rest happily sits in swapfile.
Game loads longer here and there but it works. Not sure about windows but I assume it can do similar tricks. Will give it a try as soon as RO is 1.1 compatible

Well i can't wait to play on my mac iv been wait for some time i guess a few more days weeks are not much to ask for when it comes to a mod like this, keep up the awesome work guys.

5 hours ago, Mirean said:

Thanks

My current 1.0.5 KSP installation under Linux Mint with ~40 mods (incl. RO/RSS/RP-0/RT/8K textures) starts with 13GB, but exceeds 15GB after the first launch.

I am actually considering upgrading to 32GB.

On 22/04/2016 at 8:01 PM, regex said:

If you want this faster you might consider actually helping.  Join the #RO channel on Esper.net, read and understand the linked Code of Conduct in the channel topic, and then ask if there's anything you can help with.  We have a long list of things to do.

If you don't care to help, stop pestering for updates.

Are there any skillsets that are needed to be useful in helping, or is there some "grunt" work that needs doing?

6 minutes ago, Sophistry said:

Are there any skillsets that are needed to be useful in helping, or is there some "grunt" work that needs doing?

A lot of the work is with ModuleManager scripts, so knowing that is always key.  Past that, modeling, texturing, and C# knowledge are all valuable.

But in the main, speeding up releases really relies on ModuleManager scripts.  "Grunt work".

2 minutes ago, regex said:

A lot of the work is with ModuleManager scripts, so knowing that is always key.  Past that, modeling, texturing, and C# knowledge are all valuable.

But in the main, speeding up releases really relies on ModuleManager scripts.  "Grunt work".

Urk. I lack all of those. Oh well, at least I asked!

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

18 hours ago, regex said:

What does module manager scripts require? I would be glad to help.

Hey everyone, I'm looking forward to starting my first RO/RP-0 play through and I'm wondering if any of you have any recommendations for which of the suggested mods I should use. I'm thinking FASA but beyond that I'm really not sure. Also I only have 8Gb of RAM on windows and the more recent posts on this forum have got me a bit nervous about that, do you guys think that that will be enough?

Lastly thanks for all of the awesome work you guys have put into this mod! It looks incredible and I'm really looking forward to playing.

Edited by CommanderShepherd

My main part mods on Linux with 8GB of RAM were FASA, AIES, SXT, and Soviet Engines, plus a few engines from other mods I moved in.  I pruned all the tanks and wings using the AutoPruner script and just went with procedurals.  Unity 5 appears to use the swap space so if you're using 64bit you should be okay with 8GB of RAM but performance will suffer if you're hitting the swap.

11 hours ago, regex said:

My main part mods on Linux with 8GB of RAM were FASA, AIES, SXT, and Soviet Engines, plus a few engines from other mods I moved in.  I pruned all the tanks and wings using the AutoPruner script and just went with procedurals.  Unity 5 appears to use the swap space so if you're using 64bit you should be okay with 8GB of RAM but performance will suffer if you're hitting the swap.

Thanks!

18 hours ago, CommanderShepherd said:

Hey everyone, I'm looking forward to starting my first RO/RP-0 play through and I'm wondering if any of you have any recommendations for which of the suggested mods I should use. I'm thinking FASA but beyond that I'm really not sure. Also I only have 8Gb of RAM on windows and the more recent posts on this forum have got me a bit nervous about that, do you guys think that that will be enough?

Lastly thanks for all of the awesome work you guys have put into this mod! It looks incredible and I'm really looking forward to playing.

It depends on how often you can handle it crashing.

I have 8gigs of ram, and I do crash fairly frequently.  Installed mods on 1.0.5 are:

Spoiler

FASA (Heavily trimmed.)

Cyrogenic engines

Tantares (+LV)

Procedural parts

SXT

MJ2

Graphotron

B9PWings

Realchute 

PFairings

Asteriod day

2048x1024 RSS textures

And, of course, the pile of other mods RO/RSS requires.

-- sorry for the bad English --

Hi guys. In some other thread - or maybe Reddit? - i've heard of a "ROMini". Haven't seen any instructions about that in any place though. It's a config file that I should put inside RSS's folder, is that it? Or do I have to download RO and put that inside of RO's folder?

Finally, is it true that the "Mini" version is working with KSP 1.1 and RSS v11?

Thank you very much for the patience!