Devnote Tuesdays: The "Thousand Words" Edition

SQUAD

So the full pilot trait will be like MJ's Smart A.S.S? Great to see it all coming along, so much content!

Exactly what I was thinking! I guess they took Jeb's brain back out of Mechjeb, and then decided to gift it to all the veteran Kerbals.

This Kerbal XP things should be interesting... It sounds like it would help greatly to have a Pilot flying, say, a plane and then have a scientist in the back seat getting all the data.

So I'm feverishly F5ing the main page for like 2 hours, and then I take a 1 hour break. 5 minutes into said break you post the devnotes.

*shakes fist* Squaaaaaad!

I like the "lock onto" things. Keeping it on a maneuver node has always been an annoying thing that I'll happily hand off to a Kerbal.

I'm wondering if the Kerbals will hold the attitude selected dead on, or if they might wander a bit depending on skill level.

It would make more sense to me that any pilot can try and point the ship at each of the directions, but a more skilled pilot would be more able to keep it steady and avoid overshooting or chasing after the marker.

I'm wondering if the Kerbals will hold the attitude selected dead on, or if they might wander a bit depending on skill level.

It would make more sense to me that any pilot can try and point the ship at each of the directions, but a more skilled pilot would be more able to keep it steady and avoid overshooting or chasing after the marker.

I suspect it'll be like the current SAS. It'll try to hold it but wander a bit if you're off your center of mass or don't have the reaction wheels to get the job done.

I hope they don't wonder. I can hold my direction pretty well, and I'd hate to see something that's meant to be helpful turn out to do a worse job than me.

I suspect it'll be like the current SAS. It'll try to hold it but wander a bit if you're off your center of mass or don't have the reaction wheels to get the job done.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured reading it.

I hope they don't wonder. I can hold my direction pretty well, and I'd hate to see something that's meant to be helpful turn out to do a worse job than me.

I understand your position, but I kind of view it differently. I would like it not so much as something to help me, but something to make the Kerbals actual beings, sitting in the cockpit trying to do what they've been asked to do. This just kind of feels like they've been turned into a computer system with a nametag. If they all respond the same, it's mechanical. I think it would add more personality if Jeb was smooth on the controls and hit the right spot at the right time, while Bob was a bit jerkier on the stick, and kept having to make corrections, and Bill was a bit slower bring the ship around but never overshot the marker, etc.

Love it! Tuesday has become my new favorite day of the week because of the Dev Notes. It is so wonderful to see all of the progress that you have made (and can tell us about). Love how the KerbalExp/Pilot skillz system is being implemented.

Congratulations on getting married Harv/Felipe!

That image has so few pixels and so so many questions...

and all of them seem to lead towards good possibilities.

Still going to pitch "Command and Kerbal" as an update name, may be even more so after seeing the image.

Edited by mattinoz

That image has so few pixels and so so many questions...

and all of them seem to lead towards good possibilities.

Still going to pitch "Command and Kerbal" as an update name, may be even more so after seeing the image.

Considering they're going to add experience I suggest "Crews&Careers" for the minor RPG refrence.

Can I still play Science mode without research but with contracts?

I think it's funny that everyone wants a different game type with different featured turned off and on. Science/no contracts, Contracts/no science, science and contracts/no xp, no contracts, science or xp, but keep reputation!

They should probably just get rid of Science mode, and add it as a toggle for Career when choosing difficulty.

Wow! Love the look of the one screenshot, cool to see you folks came up with something so neat for the crew experience after all. I'm sure I wasn't alone in being a bit worried about how it would turn out. But I think this idea strikes a nice balance, being autopilot-like but not going too far. Makes me really excited to see what you've done for the other kerbal skills and space center upgrades. I hope they're all so cool!

Also, congrats on the marriage!

First thought: hmmm, without adding life support mods, the pilot skills make probes an even more inferior option than they already are!

Second thought: heeeeyyy... that's a perfect way to differentiate the currently all-identical probe cores across the tech levels!

Idea: Give higher level probe cores higher level pilot skills! (This can be in a future update.) That way, researching higher tech probe cores actually makes sense, and it lets you grant your craft the skills of a pilot without having to train one - in exchange for the multitude of downsides that using probe cores has (electricity upkeep, no reports or surface samples, weak reaction wheels). Perhaps the "maneuver" and/or "target/anti-target" modes could remain reserved for actual Kerbals, but the rest sounds easily fair game. Heck, you could even mount a high-level probe core to a manned craft to add some maneuvering assistance when the designated pilot is fresh out of the recruitment office, until he has learned some skills of his own.

Perhaps four tiers of probe cores: first tier can do nothing, second tier can do stability assist, third tier can do that plus prograde/retrograde, and the fourth and final tier adds both normal and radial vectors. Tier 1 would be the Stayputnik, tier 4 would include the two inline 1.25m and 2.5m cores and a matching 0.625m one (Okto2?). The rest of the probe cores can be distributed across tiers 2 and 3.

Ideally this would be added to the probes via a config module so that modders can also grant their custom probe bodies some skills in this way.

Yeah, I can totally dig these pilot skills. :)

Edited by Streetwind

...I’m getting married this Friday...
Wait, whaaat? That's a big deal. Congratulations, Harv! Please, definitely, absolutely, take time off to relax and enjoy this important day. As much as I enjoy KSP, I think it's safe to say our game will wait for your wedding. Again, congratulations!

Very much liking the pilot skills. I wasn't a big fan of the initial ideas of how to use kerbal experience, but this looks awesome. Also liking streetwind's idea for probe piloting "skill" levels, that would differentiate the use of probe cores nicely.

And I never heard about antennarange before. I had been wondering about getting remotetech but as with many other "realism mods", I felt it might add a bit too much complexity for a more casual player like myself. Antennarange sounds perfect though :)

EDIT: Almost forgot! (shame on me!) Whooooooo, more KSP marriage! Congrats Harv/Felipe!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.